I need help on a college paper regarding teen drinking; can you help?

I need help regarding the pro and con arguements of teen drinking for a debate paper. I have my views on it, but I don't know how I can really display evidence to support it. I need credible sources on the issue.

Most Helpful Guy

• Very easy to get a lot of cons for teen drinking. Trickier to find pros. I would probably take the approach of focusing on the dramatically lower incidence of binge drinking amongst youth in countries with lower drinking ages. The real problem with teens consuming alcohol is not having one drink at a family dinner on a Sunday night, it is the damage done via binge drinking unsupervised with friends on a Friday night. So there have been arguments made that the southern European model, where teens learn to drink with family, accept it as part of culture, learn to do it responsibly, and don't have it presented as forbidden fruit, can have a great deal of influence in teaching them 'how' to drink properly.

It's like gun safety. Guns are dangerous, you don't want kids running around with guns, but if you have guns in the house, you really want to teach them about gun safety while they are young. It's about damage mitigation. Teens are going to drink. Teens in the USA drink, even though it is illegal. And the way they drink is usually irresponsible. It is usually binge drinking.

www.camy.org/.../...ence_of_Underage_Drinking.html provides startling statistics that could back that argument up: Twelve- to fourteen-year-old binge drinkers consume 91% of the alcohol drunk by their age group. Ninety-four percent of the alcohol drunk by all 15- to 17-year-olds and 96% of the alcohol drunk by all 18- to 20-year-olds is consumed through binge drinking.

Basically, when an American teen drinks, they binge drink. Almost every time.
    mic.com/.../can-you-guess-where-in-the-world-people-are-binge-drinking-the-most talks about it a bit as well.

If it's a college paper I'm sure you'll be able to track down a lot more information about it - the tricky part is finding the angle to approach the situation, especially in a topic like this where it seems so obviously one-sided.

That would be my approach anyway. The cons will be easy to find, and for the pro I would look to education and learning responsibility. The removal of the 'taboo'.

What Guys Said 3

• for:
    Alcohol might be healthy:
    www.psmag.com/.../truth-wont-admit-drinking-healthy-87891
    Alcohol can stimulate creativity
    www.wired.co.uk/.../7-day-drunk
    www.telegraph.co.uk/.../...he-creative-spirit.html
    and it's a symptom not a cause:
    Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.
    P. J. O'Rourke
    It can also help eliminate fear and social anxiety:
    www.recoveryranch.com/.../

Against:
    It's dangerous
    http://www.parentsempowered.org/
    As a young drinker it is more likely to lead to alchoholism:
    Drinking in Adolescence. About half of under-age Americans have used alcohol. About 2 million people ages 12 - 20 are considered heavy drinkers, and 4.4 million are binge drinkers. Anyone who begins drinking in adolescence is at risk for developing alcoholism. The earlier a person begins drinking, the greater the risk. A survey of over 40,000 adults indicated that among those who began drinking before age 14, nearly half had become alcoholic dependent by the age of 21. In contrast, only 9% of people who began drinking after the age of 21 developed alcoholism.
    (source: www.nytimes.com/.../print.html)
    And it may also be dangerous:
    www.niaaa.nih.gov/.../alcohols-effects-body

Hope this helps:)

• There are no pros about it. The teen brain is still developing and alcohol destroys brain cells. Candice DeLong a retired FBI profiler that the character Clarise Starling in Hanibal movies is based on is very knowledgeable about teen drinking and crimes

• I had a root around on google there is loads there try this link
    www.psychologytoday.com/.../the-pros-and-cons-drinking-18

What Girls Said 0