Could you please suggest me movies or series to watch?

I just don't know what to watch at all and I have plenty of free time lately. I am into any kind of movie or series in time that it is smart, deep and captivating. Even just a little bit. ^^ Don't hesitate to give as many suggestions as you want ! And thanks to all of you who will answer! :-)

Most Helpful Guy

• Smart and somethign you probably haven't seen?

Series:
    Ergo Proxy - Its an examination of the human condition.
    Black Mirror - A short series with stand alone episodes, each of which looks at the nagative implications of technology.
    Day of the triffids (1981) - The best adaptation of the book which inspired the modern zombie genre, and revived suvivalist fiction.

Films: (I find people often miss the classics so here goes)
    Bladerunner - The genre defining cyberpunk film.
    The 7th Seal - Explores hoe diffferent people meet death
    Metropolis (1927) - If you haven't hear do of it, go watch it
    Brazil - A man is just a cog in the machine but he still has dreams.
    Born in Flames - Femenism takes over the world
    Alien- Best horror film ever, followed by two excellent sequels (watch the assembly cut of 3).
    John Carpenter's The Thing - Second best horror ever and amazing body horror
    The Mad Max trillogy- simply amazing post apocalyptic action movies.
    A Boy And His Dog- Post thoughtful apocalyptic movie with plenty of humour.

What Guys Said 8

• As for series, I'm extremely picky. Most series are nothing more me because I find them too boring or corny or dumb. But there are three series that I absolutely love and I'd recommend to anyone:
    - House of Cards
    - Breaking Bad
    - The Walking Dead

House of Cards and The Walking Dead are both very intellectually captivating, which I love. House of Cards affords some understanding of American politics (which is not self-understanding if you're not American like be but if you're American you won't struggle with that) and it's also very revealing in a very cool way. The Walking Dead is a really awesome series because it's about zombies... but it's actually NOT about zombies. If you're a liberal arts' person like me, you will quickly understand that the zombies are merely a trope. They could be exchanged with anything else you can think of. The reason they are there is to create a world and a humanity in an extreme situation. This is very captivating because it opens up very big philosophical questions. And I think it's these big questions that the series is really all about. What does it mean to be human? How thin (or thick) is our layer of civility that protects us behaving like animals? Is it always worth to save somebody? Is a human's life worth putting the lives of a whole group of people at risk? You get the idea.
    Breaking Bad is for me personally a lot of fun because it's an absolutely excellent character study (as are the other two by the way!). The series consists of very few characters, which I prefer over series such as Game of Thrones, where you have hundreds of different people. Yet, the series is made in a way that you never get bored. The character development is very realistic and it's awesome to follow their lives. Plus: the series is also just plain fun if you have an easy-going and liberal attitude towards drugs such as me (not I don't do meth ;-)).

• Here's my list of must watch:
    Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones
    Battlestar Galactica
    Dating Naked
    Cosmos
    Last Week Tonight
    Last Man on Earth
    Naked and Afraid
    Chef's Table
    A Cook's Tour
    Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations
    Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown
    The Mind of a Chef
    The Ascent of Money
    Community
    Foo Fighters Sonic Highways
    Ambassadors

• Chuck is good if you like offbeat crime dramas... it is a little different here - the protagonist is a serial killer who kills bad guys.

White Collar is a good series

Fringe was a good series.

Movies? I would suggest the Ring and the Grudge (neither on netflix)

• I liked Reign

• a lot of new police shows like ncis, scorpion, the blacklist,...
    however they're all the same basicly. Not much variation, the show hardly changes and after a couple of episodes you've seen it.

I liked Silicon Valley from HBO
    Fargo was also really good also!

• I don't know if you like anime but I recommend watching Death Note. It's really captivating and keeps you wondering whats gonna happen next. Here's a summary:

Light, a bright student who stumbles across a mystical notebook that has the power to kill any person whose name he writes in it. Light decides to launch a secret crusade to rid the streets of criminals. Soon, the student-turned-vigilante finds himself pursued by a famous detective known only by the alias L

• I have already watched it and definitely loved it! Do you know another anime which is similar to Death Note? I have only watched Death Note and Black Butler so far :)

• @Asker Awesome :) Code Geass is similar but has more action, comedy and a little romance. Both protagonist are smart students who acquire a supernatural power to change the world. Here's a summary: The day is August 10th , 2010. The Holy Empire of Britannia put its plan on world conquest into motion and Japan was one of its victims. The invasion of Japan was relatively easy because of Britannia's use of mobile humanoid armor vehicles called 'Knightmare Frames'. The dignity, rights and pride of the Japanese people were stripped away and the nation was given a new name: Area 11. Lelouch Lamperouge is a cunning prince who was exiled from the Britannian Royal Family who wishes to bring down the Britannian Empire. Through a chance meeting with a mysterious woman named C. C. Lelouch—Under the guise of the masked terrorist Zero—gains the power of the Geass, which grants him the ability to control anyone. It may seem that his dream of the destruction of Britannia is not too far from reality.

• Scorpion
    NCIS New Orleans.
    The Night Shift
    Royal Pains
    Rookie Blue
    Flashpoint.

• World War 2 in color. That series definitely had me hooked; it truly does expose you to what war is.

What Girls Said 3

• Well, the good ones are all mentioned.. so I'll just mention the one : Californication. Very messy characters, but very smart dialogues, beautiful monologues that makes you think about the purpose of life, funny scenes and great soundtrack too.

• The Office 😄😄😄 great writing and it bever fails to make me laugh

• try Orange is the new black