Do you think women will ruin video games?

More women are getting into the world of video games, but they are also making more demands about how games should be. They are angry about the so called sexism in games and the lack of a "strong female character". Now I'll admit there is quite a bit of sexism in many of my favorite games (GTA V), but I like it that way. I'm worried that if women are allowed into this community that Grand Theft Auto will soon be about decorating your car and shooting people at the mall for stealing your shoe sale.
Is anybody else worried their favorite game might come under attack?

• Yes, I'm a guy and women will ruin my video games
  • No, I'm a guy video games will be fine with women
  • Yes, I'm a girl I will ruin your video games
  • No, I'm a girl I'll leave video games as they are

Most Helpful Girl

• I've never heard of gamer girls complaining about games. Most of them are pretty chill and already like the game. As a casual gamer girl, I do like it if they would put a female head character in the game, but I don't think lots of guys will complain if that happends sometimes. I think the sexism is funny sometimes and it kinda belongs to gaming.
    There will never be shoe sale games, because gamer girls don't like those either. They game, because they're not very interested in girly things like shoe shopping in the first place.

What Girls Said 10

• Can't you already decorate your car and go to the salon in GTA?

There are things that could be improved for everyone in games. I can't play very often but I see reviews and what my siblings pass along. There are so many cool games and cool gamers that it's a shame that the culture can be so off putting :/

• I've NEVER seen a girl who loves gaming to be angry about the sexism in games... O. o

So what if Lara Croft wears really tight clothing and jumps around a lot? It's more fun that way...

• That complaining is in the news and magazine articles all over the place. Everywhere I look it's "GTA is sexist" or "Why no strong female characters in gaming?"

• I wish I hadn't said that just now, it makes me sound like a creepy stalker.

• Hahaha Not me in the pic. Haha No, I get that a lot on my own pic as well... but never in real life, though. O. o

• You are probably the MOST sexist, arrogant, and stereotypical man. I love video games and would love to play in the POV of a cute girl who carries a machine gun and blows zombies brains out. Does that sound so bad? Most girls who play video games are just as much into first person shooters, combat games, blood and gore as any other guy out there. It is so sexist/ stereotypical to think that "Girls will get their evil hands on video games and make everything about love, pink, flowers, shopping, etc." No, no sir, that is not the case. Have a nice day -_-.

• I'm sorry if I come off as sexist, but I'm really just a passionate gamer. It's not my opinion really. I'm going off of reading recent ads, Youtube videos, News stories etc. of actual women themselves saying these things. It's not sexist to state the truth about what women are saying. I understand how I come off as sexist, but when I'm simply basing my opinion on what women have already said it's just me judging the facts.

• they have a game for that already. i think they have a few. just saying.

• He's talking about dumbass moral alarmists like Anita Sarkessian, not women in general.

• Why would we even play games if we didn't like how they were already? That's like dating someone you hate in hopes that you can change them to suit your needs.

• and then they make a game with hot female protagonists and guys are now perverts for playing these games and women are being objectified. and then they make games with average looking female protagonists and guys won't play and now theyre misogynists and sexists and shallow. guys, just lay there and get shit on, that's about all you can do.

• I play GTA V it's one of my favorites. They just need to leave it how it is. If they don't like it then they shouldn't play it.

• im a gamer and dont care if i play with a male or female character, except in mmorpg's

• and shooting people for stealing a shoe sale seems lame. I myself hate shopping and I love GTA just the way it is.

• I know what you mean, I like to pick the female character in RPG games and I'm not even gay. I guess it's a weird part of the male psychology.

• I think guys just love looking at the female form in their RPGs so thats why they pick female chars :p

• Women are usually better at video games tbh.

• It's video games. Who cares?

• Feminists are ruining video games, not women.

• by the way shooting people at the mall for stealing your shoe sale. Totally my thing! I'll be down for that.

What Guys Said 13

• Absolutely not.

Most actual female gamers aren't super uptight about a lot of this stuff. With regards to Anita Sarkeesian, for example, it's usually non-gamer girls who drool over her, and gamer girls who are put-off by her, or at least skeptical of calling everything sexist.

But that's not all.

Most girls don't seem to get the same thrill that guys do from sniping someone from far away, or slashing through hordes of locust. What you find is that when women are involved, it adds a nice additional perspective that balances out the predominant male perspective. In many cases, more female influence has led to more variety of gameplay mechanics and emphasis on story and character interactions, for instance.

I'm not saying we should just throw women into the game industry for "the sake of having more women". That affirmative-action nonsense does women few favors. And if most women think programming or graphics tech are boring, so be it. It's patronizing to try to make things "girl-flavored" to try to get them interested.

But I AM saying that women have a lot to offer by simply bringing in a different perspective. I, for one, am sick of 2000 versions of the same shooters with the same guns. I alone have probably killed more Nazis than every fought during WWII.

I get excited about games like Braid or Miegakure; Games that challenge reality. Or games that allow for free creativity and exploration, such as Minecraft (Which is very popular with girls.) Anything to stir up the industry is great for discovery.

• I think the game industry will become more like the film industry - some will be for girls (like rom coms or twilight) and some will be for guys (like 300 or Die Hard).

There are plenty of games so the industry can accommodate plenty of different customers without ruining the classics (e. g. GTA).

Regarding the complaining about sexism in video games, well, I think there is some sexism. I think most games should either allow for an option to have a female character (like Call of Duty does) or for there to be more games with a female lead character (like Lara Croft).

Some games are criticised for sexist elements but so are shows like Game of Thrones and that does brilliantly and isn't really affected by the criticism. Games like GTA will be the same I imagine.

Also, I've been told of big problems female gamers face with abusive messages online and what I've heard from female gagers would back this up. That will have to change but that should only improve the community.

More female designers should be fine and probably good too and it just means more qualified designers and developers making games.

I think there are some feminists that have no interest in games but start complaining anyway. They should probably be ignored but actual female gamers shouldn't. I think more female gamers will be a good thing and more women being involved in the design of games will be a good thing.

• You're talking about Anita Sarkeesian, she's a "game journalist" that is a radical feminist that mostly hates how women are portrayed in video games (GTA5) but what she doesn't realize is, is that girl gamers can create a girl character and do the same thing to the male characters... woah shocking!! 😱 Don't pay her any attention!

• She is basically my reason for posting this. Anita Sarkeesian has inspired other women to be like her unfortunately and it worries me. My passion, career and life revolve around video games so it scare me if they start to change.

• It's a phase, give it a couple more years and people'll whine about something else.

• Only idiots like Anita will, I know a couple of cool girl gamers.

But these idiot feminists need to screw off attacking gaming because it "objectives" women. Give me a break, ok a girl's tits somewhat show in the game? So what? It's a damn game.

• Nope not at all, video games are driven by profitability of the games, not politic.

Downloading free copy's of games on-line is a far greater threat to video games than women.

• There will not be any video games where you have to "decorate your car" or "buying shoe sales"... that is just adhering to stereotypes. The only problem with video games is that the way they portray women - and I say this as someone who is completely not a feminist.

• I feel like the women who complain about 'sexism in video games' are just paranoid, mousy people that don't really matter but make more noise than all the ones who don't complain about it so it seems like there's a large population of them.

I also feel like they won't have any influence on the way video games are developed since most women only play games like tetris and other stupid facebook/phone games, and companies see that.

I've only ever heard women talk about how hot female characters are.. the first interaction I've had with a disgruntled female over boob size/damsel in distress plots was on the internet, and only on the internet.

• I have no problem with girls getting into video games

• Even I don't play video games that much..

• No I'm absolutely not worried.

• I dont think that they will ruin our games.

• " Grand Theft Auto will soon be about decorating your car and shooting people at the mall for stealing your shoe sale. "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA I laughed so hard fuckin hell. This was great.

Nah but in all seriousness I totally understand what you're talking about. As time pass, more and more female will get into companies that make these games and their position as artistic director or project management will inevitably have an impact on the games.

However they may not be all bad. I think the person in charge of Assassin's Creed in Canada is already a girl. But there will (I hope) always be a core of hardcore male gamers and video game producers that target them.