Is the title "gamer girl" really necessary?

I feel like the title is really not necessary, because why should you add the "girl" part to it? Guys don't say "gamer boy". It shouldn't matter the gender. If you play games, you're just a "gamer". Plus, I feel like some girls call themselves "gamer girl" just so they can feel special or quirky.

• Yes.
  • Nah.

Most Helpful Guy

• The term gamer-girl is often specifically used for girls who try to gain extra attention for doing things in typical male areas, like in this case gaming.

It's most often used with a derogatory association due to those attention-seekers. Those are the kinds who ask for extras just for being a girl instead of just playing and working as a team and thus are simply annoying and disrupting.

Most guys who aren't horny teenagers only capable of thinking with their dicks, know that and will therefor shun and avoid these kinds. It's not because they are girls, neither because the guys are misogynists, sexists or whatever term - but simply because these girls are attention whores.

What Guys Said 6

• Before gaming went mainstream girls turned their noses up at gamers and wouldn't even talk to us because we were nerds or geeks or dorks. That is why we have a separate label for them and why there is so much backlash against female gamers from the gaming community.

• I think title should be gamer regardless of gender

• Oh shit I voted yes but I meant no, lol. Anyway, I feel like a lot of girls use it as a way to feel special, because a lot of guys are into gaming and those girl will get more attention if they are 'gamer girls'.

• Gamer Girls are the ones who "show off" on youtube that they are a gamer and a hot girl also. Girls who game are not really called anything special except by those in game who sadly usually say nasty things to them.

• That type of gamer goes on for some attention, they are also the ones on YouTube who show some cleavage and get a load of views.

• "Guys don't say "gamer boy". "

yeah because boys invented games and the gaming industry... so It's obvious a gamer is initially a boy.

You say African American, but you don't say white American. It's pretty obvious Americans are white since they were from the European colonies...

• I actually liked the saying European American, but David Duke had to be a jackass and use the term along with a bunch of other insults that unfortunately, sullies the term or associates people with his ideology. Other than that, I think it is a fitting description for those of European ancestry.

• "yeah because boys invented games and the gaming industry... so It's obvious a gamer is initially a boy."

You really don't know how to use that head of yours, do you?

• Don't confuse one's ability to use their head and your inability to overcome your little feelings, in order to accept a fact you dislike to hear.
      I started playing video games before you were born...

What Girls Said 5

• I'm not much of a fan of it either. "Gamer girls" are girls who play Call of Duty and pretty much nothing else, apparently.

• I don't say it cause I'm a "gamer girl", I say it cause I'm a "gamer" girl, the same way I'm an "art" girl, or a "tea" girl.
    I just like to consider myself a girl, it's cute.

I play my bioshock and mass effect, but I still like being a girly girl. :)

• It's not necessary, but guys love it because it makes them feel like those girls are sexualized - and they just like that objectification...

• It's not. It feels like a kind of crutch or something. If you do poorly, it's because you're a girl and if you do well then, you're exceptional for excelling in a male dominated area.

• I agree. Saying "game girl" just kind of reminds me of a girl who plays video games just to get attention because they think guys find them cool. But tbh a lot of girls nowadays play video games, or more than how many used to.