Why no one ever considers Indians when talking about Asians?

Well, When people talk about Asian people, only filipino, singaporean etc, are considered and never Indian people? India is in Asia too, right? Then why not India?

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 11

• Just one of those things I guess. Maybe because "Asian" is not a "race" anyway. Asian is a continent that includes many races and ethnicities including white/Caucasians in Europe (never did understand how they get away with Viking Europe a continent when it's clearly not and part of the huge Asian continent... but whatever!). We westerners consider "Asians" to be the Mongol race peoples of the "Asian" ethnicities fareast southeast Asian and some pacific islands. We know that geographically middle and south Asian people are Asian too as inhabitants of the Asian continent, but they are not of the mongol race (which we mistakenly call "Asian"). I've never officially know what race mid eastern and south Asians are. Are they and mix? Do you know?

I also find it odd that we call the Negroid race "Black" Caucasoid "White" but we don't call Mongloid (Asian) "Yellow". Of course not all Blacks are actually "Black" and not all Mongol race Asians are "Yellow". Actually negroes and mongols (Blacks and Asians) can be any skin color from a light yellow pigment to golden and honey brown to cocoa and chocolate brine to very dark brine almost black.

But yeah us westerner usually mean Mongol race Asians when we say Asian, not middle and south Asian peoples, though we know they also inhabit the same continent. One of those things that's technically incorrect but widely accepted and used.

• While growing up the few Indian American that I knew didn't like to be identified as Asian. They wanted their own category which was simply Indian.

• I think everyone has their own little map middle eastern, indian then Asian

• This is actually kind of something I think about as well
    In USA many Asians are from east Asia
    And where I am from (UK) many are from south Asia which india is part of.

but many of my Asian friends we all consider each of us to be Asians as well all fall under the Asian continents. People just aren't educated.

• Because India is it's own shade of wild.
    Just like the Philippines and Japan and Russia.

• Because you don't consider Lebanese, Israelis, Armenians, etc etc as well.
    They're in Asia but what we see as Asians are the ones from that area, the other ones are different kinds of Asians.

• Indians are technically Asians but so are Arabs and Persians. The reason why is because they are very different from east Asians physically. Arabs, Indians, and Persians have features more similar to whites and blacks and in most cases they actually look very similar to Hispanic people. However East Asians have very distinct features such as very straight, coarse, black hair, almond shaped eyes, wide faces, and they have very distinct culture compared to Indians (ie: chopsticks, food, beliefs)

• People consider Asian cultures to be those countries of East and Southeast India, and some Pacific Islands.
    Not only is there India in Asia, but Pakistan, Russia, Tibet, and a whole slew of other middle eastern and western Asian countries. But what many or most people refer to as Asia today is what was referred to in the past as oriental.

• You were listing people from particular nations, not race.
    Just to correct you.
    Singapore is a sovereign, multiracial nation. It consists of Chinese, Malays, and Indians.

Indians are Asians, however people prefer to lump them in their own group, because they do no share the mongoloid features (physical features of Chinese, Korean and Japanese people to name a few), instead they have sharper features which resembles Caucasians. Because of how people commonly associate Asians with mongoloid features, it makes it simpler to list Indians as their own group.

• Maybe Indians are something unique, different or of a different kind Mitty be included in Asia.

• lol i consider them Asian, But my Indian friends say they are not. so I'm like okay, what continent are you guys from again?

What Girls Said 5

• Because where I am from usually Indians don't refer to themselves as Asians.
    They just say they are Indian.

The only time I have heard them refer to themselves as such is online.
    No where else.

When I say Asian, I usually think of Koreans, Japanese, Chinese etc.

• It's like russians aren't considered either. To be honest I think indians actually look so unique they should be an own race..

• They are not really generally yellow skinned or have the cute pudgy look. I'm sure they got some chinese somewhre in their blood but they got portugese, English, dutch and arab blood.

• I recently did I consider them.
    Now I say east Asians.

• Because Indians are usually referred to as Indians