Why are people on GAG so obsessed with being normal?

You see it in every other question

they'll say something like 'I feel old is this normal?' or "I haven't had sex at this age yet, is this normal?' and so on and so forth.

Like why do people want to feel normal so much?

Most Helpful Girl

• Our culture places a huge emphasis on "normal". It's what drives everything. If you're not "normal" then you can't be happy and there MUST be something wrong with you. That can be hard for a lot of people to deal with. If you're normal then there are other people like you. If there are other people like you then you must be right. If you're right life is better. Right?

That's why some people are very concerned with being normal.

What Girls Said 6

What Guys Said 11

• they don't wanna look like weirdos. sometimes i feel like an alien and it makes me feel really terrible. there r 2 typed of people who r "unique"

unique in a good way, and unique in a bad way. being unique in a good-way's awesome, and there's nothing 2 worry. but being unique in a bad-way sucks, and u'd rather b normal.

such an x-ample's being super-obese. u r unique since there r only a few people who r super-obese, but this is being unique in a BAD way... so u'd rather have a more normal weight.

• I think it is an expression - It is code for please tell me I am not mad

• In human society abnormality is a death sentence.

• Mostly insecre, conformist US teenagers on this site. Not being seen as different in any way is their major goal in life.

• Basicness.. it's in the air, don't catch it

• "is it normal to be so obsessed with being normal?"
    :)

in my opinion they want to fit in with society. They don't know that for most things there are no norms or rules.

• Because they're a bunch of squares.

• depends. its not about this.

• It's insecurity, I imagine brought on by boredom. When the brain has too little stimulus, it will start imagining problems in order to give you/it something to think about, that often turns into anxieties/insecurities.

People need to just let themselves be instead... and get a hobby.

• Because they are feeling insecure and needing validation

• Because they're afraid they're gonna get judged.