Can someone own a house but just not live in it?

Ok, I know this is a very random question to ask right now, but I'm just curious.
So say a family buys it and lives in it for several months, then they decide to move to somewhere else, but they still own the house. So even after a few years they leave and still own it and never lived in it since, can they still sell it? Do they have to come back eventually after some time no matter how long its been if they still own it?
Ok so actually this situation is with my crush. Her brother is my friend by the way. Anyway they told me they're leaving, and not sure if they're coming back. I know they still own it, like they said. But they didn't give clear details. So, back to the question. So can they?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes they can still own it. As ling as they possesed it by legal means (ie. Bought, inherited, squatted abandoned building for long enough) then it is still there's

What Girls Said 5

• They can own it, live in it, rent it out... whatever they want to do with it.

• People do that with vacation houses all the time.

• Yeah, my grandpa owns 3 houses and my grandma owns 2. It would probably a smart idea to sell it or rent it out but as long as you're still paying it's fine to just leave it.

• My family owns 3 houses one in Africa, for when we go to visit, one across the street for when our African Relatives visit and one where we live.

• it is possible

What Guys Said 2

• Are they not going to rent it out or anything?

• Anyone who owns more than one house or apartment can only live all the time in one.