So, What is college really about?

Like, we all know the movies paints the picture, of lots of Partying, sex, and all that, but really, is it that way?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well put it this way if you partied as much as they do in movies at university then you would fail your papers lol.

1. Usually at the start of a university semester it is much more relaxed than near the end of the semester. At the end of the semester tends to be much more stressful to complete work.

2. It is not like school you do not get into trouble if you don't come to class, it is considered your responsibility and if you don't go to class and end up failing that is your fault and your problem.

3. You also must complete all assignments and exams if you don't you will automatically fail that paper even if already have enough marks to pass the paper. Remember not handing in all assignments will cause you to fail the paper even if you have enough marks to pass.

4. They are not there to remind you of the dates you need to hand things in, you are expected to know. Usually you get a thing called a paper study guide which has all this information on it.

5. Be prepared for late nights completing work.

6. Most people at university are very poor while studying.

7. This is one many people do not realise. In most cases people that come out of university with a degree do not get the top job at a company, you usually still start at the bottom of the company and have to work your way up. Think of the degree as if you did not have it you would never get any job at a company but buy having it it gets your foot in the door of a good company.

• Also don't stress too much your tutors will guide you though your course, you have to make sure you listen to them and don't get distracted by your phone etc. If you don't understand something ask, remember you are paying these tutors in your university fees to teach you and it is part of their job to go over anything with you that you don't understand. People at university are generally at that next stage of maturity than high school students. Very few university students will randomly talk behind your back like people do in high school unless you actually do something to cause it. Bullying is also usually not a problem at university.

What Guys Said 19

• I just graduated from college and I was a six year student, trust me, I know more than most people on this topic.

It's maybe BARELY like the movies. I heard from professors back in the 60's-90's, it really was just like the movies but the New Millennium has created generations of snobby, conservative college students (literally what I hear from professors.) Of course, I did see some "partying" on campus but they weren't too common and most of the women in the TRADITIONAL college age group are prudes anyway (women hit their sexual peak in their 30's.)

Now, college is REALLY about achieving adequate grades to receive a degree and hopefully get a stable job as an adult. I also think it's a place to learn but I looked at it more of a pathway to a career.

For me, college was about working, going to school and becoming a teacher (which I've achieved so far.)

Good luck if you decide to go!

• Getting an education so you don't have to work paycheck to paycheck once you're an adult.

• You go inside an auditorium and you see around you at least 200 people. You try to sit somewhere in the middle so that you're not too close or too far from the professor. He/she will start of introducing the course and you will feel very optimistic and then the lecture starts. You try to understand what the professor is saying and try to copy down what they are writing in their horrible handwriting. You come home and think oh that wasn't too bad I've got 2 weeks till the test so you decide to study the day before since it was perfectly fine in high school. You look at the test and you go "wtf is this sh*t!!!, did he/she even cover this?" and then someone tells you that the professor went over it briefly and that you just didn't catch it.

Very few people actually go to parties, whether it is because they aren't invited or they just don't want to. In the end most people are either studying their a$$ off or playing video games and failing the course.

• It's all about brainwashing innocent young Christian conservatives into the Godless liberal agenda. I'm just playin'

Yeah there is partying but not everyone takes part in that. I don't party for instance.

• There are no parties in here for instance don't be sad it's normal

• It's about whatever you make it. Hopefully, you learn about something that you both enjoy and will get you paid as an adult. Whatever else you do while you're there is up to you. Parties exist, no one's going to force you to go to them, but they can be fun in moderation. People enjoy sex, that's not just a college thing, but again no one's going to force you into that (hopefully). Just, if you do go to college, get something out of it that will serve you the rest of your life. Whatever that may be.

• Filler fillerhttp://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8xe6nLVXEC0 by the way I think college is for people who don't know what they want to do with their lives.

• I agree, but to get the good jobs it requires further education past High school, as I want to become either a forescnic scientist, or a Homicide Detective, ya know rack in the bucks, McDonald's don't pay that much money.

• It's the exact opposite: College is generally for people who DO know what they want to do with their lives. If that was the case, then NOBODY would declare a major or have a career path.

This logic fails tremendously.

• Here's an interesting fact for you @CincinnatiRedsfan. Did you know that almost 20% of the people who go to college actually get the job that they are studying for. The other 80% of people have to settle for other jobs. Most of them winding up in dept. You could be anything you want if you set your mind to it. Some people have this idea that just because you go to college you'll automatically be successful. I met truckers, welders and pipe fitters who didn't need college.

• getting an education, finding your career, networking, making life long friends... many things

• So I'm in like with this guy, and he's going to college 25 mins from my house, were pretty close, and he seems to really really like me, well I'm 15, and he's 18, he will be a senior when I attend college, and I'll be going to the same college, so yeah since we're pretty close and go to the same church, do you think he will keep in contact?

• good luck :)

• Thanks.

• Liberal indoctrination and training to become a corporate wage slave.

• You should go to Miami University (Oxford, Ohio.) I went there and "liberal" wasn't in their vocabulary.

• MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF STUDENT loan debt for little wages

However, I AM IN NO debt :)

• College is about universities making more money, and employers heightening the financial investment needed in order to find a job

• College is about finding the people with similar interests and making a business from it

• college tell you a lie.. its a bunch of crap they what you to hear.. college graduates make more money... bla blah... you meet someone in college... u get laid... u party.. get drunk... i haven't done any of that

• Sometimes it differs from country to country

• For me, it is for professional skills with a big turnover.

• yes, it is.

• i reckon though people who only go for sex/dates, well you cn do that outside, thats pretty sad.

• Party. sex and alcohol (drugs for some), but above all getting an education :)

• Getting you ready for uni

• It is about learning what you did in high school for a year or two and then learning what you like and then studying that. Unless you are in a fatunity there are not that many parties. more women are raped after parties and drinking events than any other.

• Varies from person to person. Some are there to get a degree and get hammered every weekend. Others are there to get an education and learn new things. College is what you make of it really.

What Girls Said 16

• College is like a giant money making machine. It costs so much to get an education in the U. S. Yet they make it a mandatory requirement to find even halfway decent paying jobs. Want the truth or a lie?

Truth is, college is GOOD if you know what you want to do and have a plan. Study something that leads straight into a career, not something like English or Art. Too general. When you get a degree like that, the only difference between you and the other people on the soup line, is that you'd owe 50K in student debt and they'll just be... well homeless and probably owe nothing.

The LIE is that college is the gateway out of poverty and that one magical degree will change your life. You'll never have to 'work hard'. That's the lie that a lot of first generation college grads get bombarded with. Is it possible? Of course! But a degree alone won't help you succeed in life, hard work will!

Ultimately, college is/was a great experience for me. I learned a lot (even if it isn't gonna be used in everyday life); met a lot of awesome people and made some good friends. My university had people of all ages and backgrounds, so my friends range from 18-80 basically lol. I believe that college is a great place and you should go one day 😊.

• I plan to go! I was just thinking of this close friend of mine also the guy I really like, and wondering what he's gonna be getting into, and I hope since we're close friends he won't cut me out of the picture, I don't think he will because he seems to really like me, and we're close friends and attend the same church, and the college he will be at is like 30 mins from my house. He's 18, I'm 15... So I'm his youngest friend.

• I don't think he'd forget about you! Hey, I'm still good friends with people I've gone to high school with, even kids that were a few years younger. My coworker was a high school freshman when I was a senior and she's in college now :-) so yes it's very possible 😊.

• Education and debt.

• Sometimes college can make a person feel like they wasted so much time and money on something that ends up being useless. Like if you can't find a job in the field after going for 6yrs or so. It can really devastate someone.

• Training u to become pencil pushers and adapt to working hours for the ceos.

• yeah that sucks
      I wanna be self employed with my jewelry crafting :P

• It's important if you've ever dreamt about no longer having to work dead end jobs for a measly paycheck. It either means something or it doesn't.

• a lot of fun

• avoiding real life

• So, college isn't "real life"? I'm confused.

• well, college was a nice little bubble for me where I could just focus on one thing and completely avoid everything else in the world.

chill man. this is just my opinion.

• for me has been soccer and classes and more classes, and I got to meet amazing people along the way :)

• Its whatever you make out of your experience and that can be anything. For me college was about getting my degree and learning new skills,

• It's not really like that. For me, the workload is a lot to actually party.

• learning and stuff...

• independent living and becoming organized

• studying something your interested in. I never go to parties, not my thaaanngg

• It really depends on where you go. Some schools are party schools and others not so much.

• University of Tennesee Knoxville?

• Um. Forking out thousands of dollars to get a high quality education and progress further in life. Leave the partying behind. Only immature students waste their tuition and get a 1.7 GPA because they wanted to party, have sex, and do drugs. If you want to do all of that ridiculous stuff, don't do it at college. There's a reason why when you go onto a university's website, they aren't advertising sex, drugs, and parties. They're advertising courses and programs for you to enhance your knowledge and emerge from the entire experience a much more enlightened person and ready to venture out into the working world and make good money. Not go thousands in debt to indulge in juvenile pleasures.

When you go to college, it's time to toss your childhood out of the window and become an adult because those are truly the years that matter. If you f*** up in college, it's all on you. There is no crawling back to mommy and daddy. You mess up, you deal with the consequences.

• My college experience started my junior year of high school. Once I graduated and went full time to university, I did not have that typical movie scenario where there was partying, sex, alcohol, etc. I made some really great friends that loved the field we were studying, and I learned a lot. I was able to graduate early, but I focused most of my attention on my courses. I did hang out with friends, but we didn't do that other stuff.

I enjoyed it because I am passionate about what I went to school for. I loved networking (meeting tons of people in the field), learning new things.. still learning, and as I said made some great friends.