Do you think Creationism should be taught in school?

• Yes
  • No
  • Undecided.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not as part of science, but in religious studies, possibly. But it should never be taught as an alternative to evolution, only as a belief.

What Girls Said 8

• only as part of religious ed and not part of science class

• If the class is about religion, yes. We had a World Religions class in my high school where Creationism (along with creation stories from other religions) was discussed.

I don't think it belongs in a science classroom.

• No, it shouldn't.

• Sure - and isn't it already? As part of religion classes?

• It has no scientific merit.

• Its kind of is talked about in history

• Yes. They should hear both sides.

• Not in public school, unless they can cover most major religion's beliefs quickly and explain what they are without favoring one. It's unfair to single out just one.

What Guys Said 11

• In public elementary and jr. high school, where students don't get the semi-luxury of picking classes, hell no.

In public high school, yes but not as a required class but one where they talk about it and it's an elective. Then you don't have students like me finding every way possible to ditch that class, even to the point where I don't get the credit. Also, it most likely won't conflict with other students beliefs, so you can't force a Jewish kid into a Christian creationism class.

In private/religious schools, you can force feed it to them, but will they swallow and digest it properly?

• Yes it should. Primarilly as part of the childs religious education (as in where they are taught about all of the big religions in the world, creation myths and all). And I can understand teaching it alongside Evolution and the formation of Terra as a sort of "this was the understanding before modern scientific method was applied to the field". It also serves as a good lesson in how society resists scientific theory sometimes.

• In the context of comparative religion... yes.

As the content of a science class... no.

• I believe in evolution so no.

• I can be.
    Only if it's unbiased and very detailed.

This can create understandings between each religion and hopefully destroy stereotypes and discrimination.

• It is not a sound theory. We know that isn't the way the world works.

• I guess it depends on how it is taught...

• I think they should just scrap the whole school system and make kids read the Bible.

• Not in a public school. If parents what to fill their kids heads with nonsense that's a shame but I think you have to allow them latitude to do anything which is not demonstrably harmful. So if they want to send their kids to a private school and have them taught bullshit I'm OK with it, it will probably backfire on them anyway.

• It already is in the UK. Religious education is a subject that teaches pretty much everything that isn't science.

• Evolution doesn't have any more substance to it that creationism. Neither should be taught. My school had a world religions class and we learned it in there.

• Evolution can be seen on a very short time scale - it is happening now.

• Yeah now. You can't prove all those things they claim to have happened millions of years ago. Yes we did world religion. It's a big part of the world so you can't ignore it. Most people hate it so much bc they don't even understand it