Why do managers lie in an interview?

I had an interview. And afterwards, the woman told me that she would call me and tell me if I got in or not by the end of last week. She still hasn't called and it annoys me because she told me she would call and tell me if theyre Not going to hire me or if they are, and I've been waiting for a call all week. Why couldn't she say if they're hiring me, Than they'll call?

Most Helpful Girl

• Possible reasons:

- she lied
    - she was gonna, but forgot
    - she was gonna arrange for someone to call you, but forgot
    - she arranged for someone to call you, but THEY forgot
    - they found someone perfect on a short notice and axed all other candidates
    - you misheard/misunderstood what she said i. e. she said the company would call only if you got the job

Most employers have a time limit on these things and usually put on their ads something along the lines of "If you haven't heard from us in x working days, assume you were unsuccessful".

Employers are usually quite keen on getting back in touch with a promising candidate, so if you haven't heard back in awhile, they were most likely not impressed.

What Guys Said 5

• They all say that because they are going to review the top candidates. They don't have to call you back there is no obligation to. Also you should always call at least once mid week to check up on your application.

Basically you were not what they were looking for get used to it as it happens all the time.

• Unfortunately they all say that little speel at the end.

• Because the HR manager knows they are supposed to, but she wasn't the one in charge of calling you back. Someone else was and they either didn't have a status or were lax in their call.

• It means they're not gonna hire you. Yeah a LOT of places do that. Sorry...

• They were testing you. Companies dont want to hire someone who is just going to sit around and wait. You should have called them at least twice if it has been a week.

What Girls Said 2

• If they don't tell you you've got the job on the spot then usually you're not hired.
    They all say they will get back to you.
    It saves them the stress.

• Call them to see your status. You have nothing to lose at this point.

• That's not very professional, and not all managers do that. Bad business practice. I'd just call them, if it were me.