Which computer should I get for university?

I am struggling choosing between the new Macbook $1299 model, Macbook pro with retina display $1299 model, or the Surface Pro 3 $799 ( though I am leaning away from this one because I hate tablets it just seems cool.
Does anyone have one of these? could you tell me how you are liking it plus the pros and cons. I need a really light and reliable laptop with good battery life that I can carry class to class all day long without it dying or hurting my back.
I currently have an old Toshiba that was about $399 and going into university (though I can;t really afford it) I think it's time to trade up. My current laptop overheats and has awful batter life, crashes, weighs more than my cat, and I know it won't get me through school.

which computer should I get for university?

• New macbook
  • Macbook pro retina 13 inch
  • surface pro 3
  • other (explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• New Macbook (Air). Those things are awesome.

What Guys Said 7

• Depending on what your degree program is you may need a completely different laptop. If you were going into design or engineering those options you listed may not work. Check what your college recommends. It is way okay just to wait and see what the sophomore's recommend. If all you will be doing is typing, get something you can type on. I would get the surface pro only if handwritten notes seem old fashioned. Remember that people write notes to help them remember later even if they never read them. The act of writing helps you remember.

• Look at the USB ports, I heard something about the new macbook having in issue with the amount of ports or something? I'm borrowing a macbook pro right now, I don't personally like mac cause it's weird to me after growing up with a PC (a bunch of specific things I want done can't be done without third party software, but you're more or less fine). But I like it. It works great, battery life is ok. I'm not sure about the model, mine weighs quite a bit, probably not as much as a Toshiba (those laptops are junk, I'm not surprised you hate it).

You might get a bit of "apple is overpriced" yada yada which is true. But if you like apple products and stuff then it's really not that bad.

• For most females and less tech savvy people if apple products are within budget go for it.

I'd personally get a surface pro for myself though.

• why do you assume females are less tech savvy? You would not have your fancy gaming computers or even the internet without many early and modern programmers who were women, we are not stupid or less capable than men. And if I needed a more powerful computer for my field of study I'd get one.

• Cause it's facts that in general they are?
      I am in no way shape or form saying there are absolutely no tech savvy females but there are a lot less tech savvy women compared to men.

• For university, get the windows based laptop which is not expensive, so that you can use it freely in public without fear of getting lost or stolen.

• 0|0
  • Lol 1.5k for a Mac

• How about neither

What Girls Said 8

• I have the Mac Pro Retina Display 13" and I love it.

Pros - its efficient, quick to shut down (some windows laptops lag in shutting down), its lightweight so easier to carry

Cons - I hate the scroll pad on it, still getting used to the using the keyboard to copy and paste instead of using the keypad like in windows laptops, expensive and you have to buy programmes specific for Mac. Whereas on a Windows laptop you can use the same products on any window laptop

• I got a MacBook Air with my graduation money and I love it. Most everyone at my University (including most of the instructors) use Mac.

That said, I also had to buy Bootcamp (Windows) for a certain class. I hate windows.

• I have the new macbook and the macbook pro retina 13 inch, there's really no difference to me, I use the macbook pro retina more though

• the one you can afford

• Get the surface pro. It isn't as expensive. But then again it is your choice. :)

• is that macbook aka macair?

• I am going to get the new MacBook because it looks really cool. You should get it too

• the new mac.