Do men age better than women?

I've never really thought about this until I joined this site.

I cannot ignore seeing a lot of men here express their views that one of the main reasons,
they like women much younger than them is because they want someone that looks young and youthful.

If they date a woman their age,
She usually looks older than him.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 25

• this is just a myth. i've seen 50 yo guys who look like old farts and 50 yo gals who still look good and they don't look above 30-35. it has NOTHING 2 do wid gender

• I think it has more to do with what kind of lifestyle the person had until older age. There are smokers and alcoholics in both genders and they typically don't age well. Maybe the reason women are perceived as aging more badly because of men is because women have more pressure to look beautiful and that stress accumulates over the years and they end up aging faster. And add in the overuse of makeup, which screws things over in the long run.

• I like woman more as they age. I don't really know why but I just do. From my searches on cougar dating I think it is much more common for younger guys to like older woman as it is for older woman to like younger guys. I had a pretty big helicopter mom still do and have also found that I appreciate a woman who takes charge and tells me what to do. Maybe they are related.

• This has more to do with the fact that women are more prone to use make-up and other things to beautify themselves which can also aid in making them look younger.

Men don't use makeup for the most part so what you see is what you get.

So when a man turns 50, he'll look relatively the same but older. Whereas a woman may be perceived as looking older because of her past habits of using make-up and other things to beautify herself.

Not that it really matters since cougars exist and it proves that young men will still give attention to older women.

• Well almost every question about what age groups do people date has men choosing women younger than them and women choosing men older than them. Men are able to produce offspring on average around 10 years past when women become infertile. In terms of beauty that's completely just a genetics thing. Some guys in their 20's look like they're in their 40's. My brother is almost 30 and you could honestly think he was still in high school.

• A woman's peak is definitely earlier in life, when she's a teen until mid twenties whereas a man's can be much later in life but only if he works for it.

• It's not about the physical age, it's about sexual marketplace value. For women, it peaks early as they come into age, but drops off sharply as she approaches 30 or so. Men's sexual marketplace value tends to start low, and rise steadily until he's an old fart.

For women, it has to do with appearance, whereas for men appearance is less important to our sexual marketplace value.

• women tend to age faster then guys for many reasons, main one being all the crap they put on their faces over the years, not good in the long run,

• I think white women loose all there beauty by age 35 for some reason Asian and black women look younger much longer

• Not true, men age equally as bad as women, but the only difference is that women place less value on looks so even a much older guy may be considered as attractive. On the other hand men place a lot of value on looks and seek out younger better looking women for that matter.

• Women expire faster than men but outlive men.
    The reason is women when losing estrogen after menopause their secondary sexual appearance decays saggy breast etc

• that's how it is. women get all their sex appeal when young, and it burns brighter and faster.

a man has to grow into a lot of his sex appeal. it is a dimmer, but slower burning flame.

• in my opinion, yes

• Men age better than women.

• what people say here isn't the only one realitty. want not even what they say here its true so... u can't think about that

• Usually yeah I know a lot of women in their early thirties late 20s that could pass for 40

• Guys go for fertile women. women go for secured men. the universal law...

• I think they do but there's always exceptions on both sides.

• Women look older than men faster, and pregnancy speeds up the process.

• Attractive traits on men will get better or stay the same with age. The same is not true for women.

• It's because most of you cake your faces in make-up which doesn't make you age well in the long run

• I'd say guys age better. There are some older guys who legitimately look good. There are some older girls who look good, but it's generally they look good for their age.

• Usually yes at least with white people I've noticed, ethnic people fair better it seems in both genders

• Women age like milk and men age like wine. ;)

• In terms of skin condition and aesthetic looks, yes, men age better than women in those factors. In terms of physical health, no. Women on average live longer.

What Girls Said 17

• My dad is 2 years older than my mom, but he looks like he could be 10 years older than her. My mom is 50 but could pass for late 30s.
    People's definition of "young" and "youthful" is very narrow. People think that unless you're in your twenties (or lower), you're not young. Like once you hit your 30s, your life is basically over or something. That's why older guys who are looking for someone "young" basically only go for women still in their 20's, because like I said, people's definition of youth (female youth I might add) is extremely narrow.
    The definition of female beauty also highly relies on this whole youthful look, which is also why people feel like women age worse. The standards for women are so high, which means that the drop from youthful/beautiful to old/less beautiful is extremely steep. That's where the stereotype comes from, I think. Men get the same amount of wrinkles, gain more fat and lose more muscles, get thinner hair etc at roughly the same rate as women (actually a lot of men start losing their hair in their 20s already), but since the standards aren't as high for men, people perceive it as them "aging better", although the same things are happening to them that are also happening to women, at pretty much the same rate.

That's really only why some people might think women age "worse". Because the definition of female beauty also has a lot to do with youth, and add that with some crazy standards and you've got yourself a lot of people making crazy generalizations.

• I don't think so, this is more of an individual problem but not really based on gender I believe. You just notice aging in women more because society just generally focusses more on the looks of women..

There's this guy I used to go to school with so we're around the same age but now he already starts losing his hair and looks like 35 (I kind of feel sorry for him tho) and I've seen a lot of guys older than that having the same issue, too, like when they were 40 they looked like 60, as well as women so I don't think that either gender ages better or worse.

• I think that there's an insistence that women can't be older and attractive the way men are. It's ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/XPpsI8mWKmg

• "Because they think your vagina is going to turn into a hermit crab" ahahahahaha

• @LightsOff I have to say I feel like a hermit crab vagina would be pretty cute. Like you could crabdazzle it and like maybe it would trim for you... I like it.

• No. They age the same.
    Only society is okay with a guy having wrinkles while if a woman has them she ages terribly. I mean who has ever seen a woman with wrinkles?
    Preposterous!

Also women aren't all that obsessed with youth in their partners so they don't care if they're older (have wrinkles and not so perfect bodies any more), while most men are obsessed with it - society again.

• Well of course that all depends on how well you take care of yourself, and people have their own preferences. There's are some instances where women take such bad care of themselves they will look older than a man who is the same age as them. But I have noticed some men age better than women. Most likely because they never use makeup :). (People never really notice the bad effects of makeup unless they keep using it. If you keep packing stuff onto your face without taking care of yourself you're bound to see bad effects at some point.) I guess it depends on individuality for both genders, and genetics :/

• well it depends... as we age in general we start get more mature and stronger features, which can be soooo attractive on guys but not so much on a girl... BUT a lot of guys start to get bald at 25 and most girls start looking better in late 20's to early 30's

if a guy can pull of looking good with white hair or bald, he will definitely age better than most girls... but if the guy looks awful bald and or white hairs don't appear good on him, he will just look like an old man. ... so really it just depends on the individual and not something you can say as a whole. (in my opinion)

• another thing to take into consideration is that most of us girls are attracted to matureness, (not just in concept but also in appearance) which would for the most part mean that most girls would find older men attractive... in comparison to most men who find matureness in appearance less attractive, which implies most would find older women less appealing.

• It's not really that men age better, it's that they are considered attractive for longer. Women are given "sell-by" dates by society. I personally, find all old people to be tiresome.

• It would be rare to see a 27 years of age guy who hasn't had a pot belly.

• It's all dependent on the level of stress and genetics. Also how much karotin and melanin is in the skin.

• I think so. Older model guys are normal 28-45, not older model girls :/ 😕😢

• Yes they do.

• I'm probably going to be the odd one out here but I think that women do age better.

• There are many beautiful older women out there

• Many of them yes. My pa is an example.

• It's sad, but it's the truth

• honestly yeah..

• Yup, I think so. Men in their late 40s can still be good-looking, women in their late 30s are most certainly doomed to look like a hag.