How do people act in the other countries?

Here in Italy people act courteous, friendly, and helpful. We are nice to you if you are stranger or not. :) Life in Italy is easier than in the US I've been told. In conversations we tend to touch but it only means friendship. Do Americans, Canadians, or Brits do the same? It crossed my mind.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I'm from Spain, but I live in the US, and when I came here I was extremely surprised about how friendly people are, even as a stranger and foreigner, they treat you like if you were their friends. I'm also in Chicago, a big city, and you know that people in big cities tend to be more rude, but I've encountered the opposite, especially in stores and restaurants, the service is amazing.
    It is true that Americans value their personal space more than Europeans. I remember when I started meeting people, I went for the kiss on the cheeks, European style, but people stepped back like "the fuck?" but then realized that it's a European thing, so they just laugh it off. Unless you're friends with that person, they don't tend to touch you.

In my experience, Americans are more friendlier and more helpful than Europeans, and I've been to England, Italy, and lived in Spain, so I can compare it to at least 3 of the biggest countries in Europe.

• I have a Canadian friend who absolutely despised the way Americans acted, claiming we are all rude and edgy. However my ex girlfriend visted me from England and she basically described the exact same thing that you just described. I was actually surprised considering the former.

• @GamerArtNerd Hahaha well, I guess it's the people we come across, I don't know, but my father who came with me the first week when I came to Chicago also said that he was surprised about Americans, he didn't expect them to be so polite and friendly.

Thanks for the MHO asker ;)

What Guys Said 3

• Well as an Englishman specifically, we're all massive pieces of shit over here, there's not really much courtesy. Though it does vary depending where you're from specifically, England does have a pretty big North/South divide. I, of course, am a glorious Southerner with a beautiful accent.

The Welsh are alright. Haven't really met enough to make a genuine comment on them.
    The Scots are generally funny, though Glaswegians always come off as bitter to me.

In the case of the colonies, Americans are a very varied bunch, you rarely get two Americans that are exactly the same, I think. Canadians are usually up for a laugh, I've met some very amiable ones.

• Incidentally you speak of Italians being courteous, but don't Sicilians all hate you?

• @BarbaraP

You guys do treat Sicilians pretty badly to be fair.

• I'm too smart to treat someone badly because of where they come from to be honest.

• In the UK and Ireland we would not touch as much only our own family.

• Americans are friendly yes. Courteous no. Touching isn't common apart from close friends. I'm American but I've been in another country my entire life and I associate with them

What Girls Said 3

• I found that life in European countries is much slower than it is in America. I was always like "okay let's go on the next thing!" and our friends were like "nooo lets go have coffee or hang out at the park. It's okay we missed that train there's another in half an hour." It was agonizing O_O

Other than that I think it's kind of hard to compare American life to other lifestyles because there are so many different subcultures. People are different from region to region let alone by state.

• You're correct about people being different from region to region. I was born & raised in Chicago. We were just treated each other OK. Now I live in a smaller city in Arizona. People hold the door for you & talk.

• @AleDeEurope
      You're right most of Chicago is home in bed at midnight. The younger more trendy area like Wrigleyville (where Cubs park is) are up & in bars or beer gardens. Same goes for Clark st. Bucktown & Wicker Park.

• @THE_Godfather Yeah, those areas are the few that are "alive" during the night, but since I'm not 21 yet, I have no reason to go there xD I hope I'm still in Chicago after I turn 21, I wanna experience Chicago's nightlife.

• Americans tend not to be as close as fair as touching goes. Some of us are okay with it, others are not, most of us are in the middle at a hug hello or a handshake.

• as an arab,, we treat strangers nicer than natives.. we invite them without prior knowledge and take care of them and wouldn't let them go to the hotel bcz we blv house care is better than room service.. we also would give them plenty of souvenirs andbe friendly with them to give them a good impression about our culture n religion00yet.. the touvhing is bot common outside between the sexes and only men can hug or greet eachother very normally as friends or relatives.. in our religion you must say hello to everyone you meet or see outside. hope i helped.