Are southern accents unattractive?

I've lived in some southern states, and at the moment am living in the midwest, at the very bottom of it. So there's some southern influence in my accent.

My brother makes fun of me because it's usually very neutral but it randomly gets worse (especially when I'm angry)

and I had a guy I was friends with tease me about it occassionally.

Is it really so bad?

Most Helpful Guy

• Eh, I've lived in the South for my whole life, and I'm kind of indifferent. The only time I hate the accent is when people try to "out-Southern" each other. Bleh... XP I like Cajun accents a lot better, and Russian accents are my favorite.

• Russian is my favorite too.. :D

• Thanks for the MHO. :-) Yeah, I don't think any accent sounds better than Russian. It can sound manly, pretty, and cute depending on how it's used.

What Guys Said 9

• I live in Texas so southern accents don't really bothered me. If they did, I'd be pretty unhappy all the time :D. They don't change my opinion of girls. If anything, they actually make a girl more attractive in my opinion.

• Doesn't bother me at all. I kinda like a Southern accent, actually. We talk really fast in the midwest, where I live, and it gets annoying. I was raised in the Western US, which has an accent all it's own, but not too different from a Southern accent.

• Oh, where do you live in the midwest, if you don't mind me asking? Because I know sometimes I talk too fast and i live in the midwest lol.

• Well, I think I only talk fast when I'm nervous or excited, lol. But to answer your question I live in the southern region of ohio.

• Well, you're pretty close to the line. I'd expect an accent in that area. Up here, you'd stand out, just like I do when I go down that way. But I've found I can adopt a Southern accent pretty quickly when everyone around me is speaking like that. Don't want to be the odd man out. :)

• I think the southern accent is nice

• Very unattractive; I hate most American accents, and apart from the stereotypical New York accent, a southern accent is the ugliest accent in the World. I'd rather listen to a Japanese woman speak broken English.

• I don't like them, but I'm quite sure there are lots of people that do :)

• I find it sweet. But not better than British accents.

• no I like country accents on girls. You must be a sweat pea.

• I find southern accents really attractive

• Huge turnoff.

What Girls Said 5

• I love southern accents, mine is very slight and mostly nonexistent now but it sounds comforting to me when my friend from Alabama talks with her strong accent (a little odd, I know).

The only horrifyingly unattractive accent I've ever heard is what I think is a Boston accent. There's a guy from Jersey at work and his accent is a little rough on the ears too...

• To me they are... But I doubt I'm in the majority on this.

• I personally think they're kind of annoying.

• Ask native English speakers. To non-english they sound (at least to me) a little old fashioned.

• Southern accents are cool, also very diverse. It has roots from the British Isles, comes from all those English and Scots Irish settlers.