Why not pump breast milk instead of letting your child get a mouth full of boob?

Now I'm not a mom nor do I have one on the way, but I was just curious. This lady at church today was breast feeding today and I thought "ehh that's kinda strange. Why can't she have that prepared?" ... Also don't hate at my twisted thoughts but your kid is nibbling on your boob just like your spouse would if you guys were being intimate sooo it would really ruin the moment, I would think at least.

Most Helpful Guy

• I learned this a while ago in college, so I'm a little hazy on the details, but the makeup of the breast milk actually changes while the baby is drinking it straight from the nipple to give it the best punch of protein/nutrients that you wouldn't get if you just pumped.

What Guys Said 10

• Breastfeeding isn't just about giving nutrition. It's also about physical closeness to the mother, something very important to a baby growing up healthy.

• Why not use a microscope and fertilise the egg with sterile instruments?
    Oh wait...

• Well there are studies that suggest that breast fed babies are better adjusted. Practically speaking, breast fed babies dont need burped the way bottle fed do, the mother gets that bond, and it is just touching to see. I understand the practical nature of a bottle though too. And some women feel pain when the baby nurses.

• Everyone should be able to experience the enlightenment of sucking on boobies. A pump would be inhumane and disadvantaging our youth.

• Long story short I somehow my password was wrong so follow me back 😂.. I'm the original quackolaf96

• As long as the baby get its milk I have no problem either way

• Your thoughts are not twisted, you're just incredibly prudish and up-tight. Breast-feeding is the most normal thing in the world (as is sex by the way).

• Maybe preachers just raise their kids different... Sorry I'm such a prude 😂 but I can't change that. Like you can't change the fact that you're so rude.

• How was I being rude? I didn't call you any names. I just said what's true. Having a problem with breast-feeding is incredibly prudish. It's already prudish if you're a guy but if a girl says something like that, I can understand even less.
      If somebody told you that you're not allowed to use the words "boobs" because it's a "dirty word" and you told him/her that they're being prudish, would that make you a rude person?

• Hahaha no idea
    but you made my day, this made me laugh

• Breast feeding also a bonding exercise between mother and baby

• Boobs are meant TO feed the offspring! Don't forget that!

• That is actually what boobs are for. The baby gets all the good stuff it needs and it is a handy dispenser...

What Girls Said 16

• I get what you're saying. Breastfeeding is not for everyone, especially in a church where people seem to be a bit more modest about sexuality - and that includes letting a boob hang out to feed on.

There are a lot of women who take stands against those who are against it, and will protest in front of stores and buildings to show that there is nothing wrong with it. I personally, don't have an issue with it, but yes, there are some people who are modest and aren't comfortable with it if they aren't mothers or are kids. There are a lot of private things between mother and baby that are special between them, it doesn't always mean that they can't excuse themselves to engage in it. But asking a mother to prepare her milk can also be something that is private and something she may not be able to do or willing to do whether it's comfort for her or the baby. Really, in this case, no one has any right to impose on the other to just put up with it or change. All you can do is change what you can and sit somewhere else so you're not in the line of sight.

But why they do it, is a good question, much like why any mother feels a lot of entitlement to let her darling little child cry incessantly in public places, or why she feels it's okay to leave a mess everywhere she goes without cleaning something up. We all just live in their world (some mothers). Most moms are pretty good, but some are just not thinking of anyone or anything other than what their child needs at that second, when they could easily take a moment to excuse themselves. I know I'll get downvoted by moms and kid-lovers, but hey, it's how we childfree see it.

• Many women say that their baby won't take the bottle but that's typically because they've been spoiling their baby with the breast so much that the infant has gotten used to the texture and process of retrieving milk from a breast. There's a bonding experience that transpires during breast feeding. I honestly think that a lot of mothers get a high off of that bonding experience and in some subtly selfish way, it gratifies them knowing that the process is making their baby love them intensely. It's really not a good idea to breastfeed your child so much that they can't take a bottle because God forbid the mother dies...:/ then what? The baby will starve? :/

I have a friend who's been breastfeeding her baby since she was born. About six months in, she decided to go back to work at a new job. However, she was having a problem because her baby refused to take the bottle and would not have her meals at daycare or have a meal at all unless it was from her brother's breast. At one point, my friend came up with the illogical, crazy idea that she would just continue to be broke and live off of the government's aid so she could stay home and breastfeed, covertly mentioning that she didn't really want to leave spending all that time with the baby. She even made the comment "I prefer to breastfeed because it's good for her PLUS IT MAKES HER LOVE ME MORE." So yeah, deep down, I think a lot of mothers get a slightly selfish sense of gratification from the bond that breastfeeding creates.

• Breasts are there for children. Why is a husband nibbling on a breast like a child?

Like others have said: Milk straight from mother to child provides more health benefits for the child, it's way for a mother and child to bond, it eliminates any concerns about needlessly exposing the child to more plastics, pumping is painful for the mother, and pumping raises the amount of bacteria the milk and baby are exposed to.

Motherhood is the most natural thing in the world. Let women feed their children in peace without sexualizing them.

• Damn it was just a question. Let people ask questions without making them feel like a total dumbass. Not everyone is out to get women so calm your tits.

• You realize @asker that there is a strong push for women to not breast feed in public and it was technically public. Many women feel attacked by this push.

• No sorry I failed to realize that. I just had a question I'm not all over social media ( not being a smart alic).

• Ummm that's actually the original purpose of breasts... not for your husband to nibble (although that is a nice perk- pun intended)

• Because it isn't the same at all... breastfeeding can hurt and wouldn't feel the same as being intimate. Also when you feed from the breast it creates a bigger connection between mother and child. Also it is just proper. Nipples on breasts are meant to feed not provide pleasure just a happy benefit.

• You lose the mom to baby bonding that you get from breast feeding. Some of the antibodies you get from direct breastfeeding are lost when pumping and also in storage. Breast feeding is easier if you can do it. Pumping takes time away that you could spending with the baby, it takes time and dedication to have a continuous supply and time to clean all of the parts of the pump as well as all of the bottles.
    Also, your breasts are first and foremost there to feed children. There purpose is not for your spouse to nibble on. I am not one of those women that think breasts are not sexual- they are and I think that is more than just society- they have always been since humans have been on earth- it is just natural. However, their purpose is to feed offspring. The sexual aspect is just an added bonus.

• Beer is better on tap than from in the bottle. Same with milk.

Honestly, breastfeeding is the most natural thing you can do with a boob, so baby gets first dibs. It is also proven to do a lot of good for a baby and mother over a bottle and especially a bottle with formula. Many women can't breastfeed and even more choose not to, personally when I see one that has the balls to do it in public, I have a lot of respect for her for putting what is best for her baby over social ridicule and possible embarrassment.

• What are you talking about? That's the sole purpose of a boob. Breast feeding is a normal thing to do.

• Because sometimes it's easier then pumping. beause some times you run out and the babies still got to eat. And did you also know that breast feeding babies need to eat every 3 hours. And as for comparing it sexually to your bf/husband I just think that's rather naive thought. It's something you will probably not get until you have a child or breastfeed one if you choose to. It's nature it's natural there is nothing wrong with it. It's basically the same idea as animals why they breast feed. Anyways it is what it is it's not weird in my opinion.

• Hehe I'd find it more odd that your spouse wants to nibble on something that's originally intended for a baby.

• I heard that some women get an emotional bond from it

• Because if you pump
    Milk you kinda have to keep it refrigerated. Also your a parent you have a lot of shit going on so maybe you just forgot.
    Also why not women have been doing it for be lions of years and it works.

• Also my mom found pumping really uncomfortable.

• Instead of being quick to jump the gun and insult... You should read the entire question. I said that I'm NOT a mom NOR do I have one on the way. So maybe you just skipped the details.

• I don't really know where I insulted you, I wasn't trying to. Was I the swearing because I just swear when I talk normally.

• Breastfeeding is more than just about feeding the baby. The hormone oxytocin is released when you breastfeed and helps create a stronger bond between mother and child. It's one of the most natural things about motherhood.

• To me its more natural. Its a really weird felling have a pump going. But if i was going out for a while a would definitely pump first.

• my cousin (who has 2 kids) said that some women get off on it

• i prefer pumping.