What (unusual) movie do you like that no one else seems to?

Is there a movie or genre of film you like that no one seems to get, or you just assume no one will seem to get? Forget the mainstream stuff that is easily liked by others but maybe your girlfriend/boyfriend might not be in to. I'm talking about a lesser known film that you love but you have no one to talk with about it because no one gets it but you?

For me, I have two in mind: Turkish Delight (1973), and Atanarjuat (2000) - both foreign films to me, and just for that fact, none of my friends or family have or will watch them and truly appreciate the story or filmmaking of either.

What are yours?

Most Helpful Guy

• I like quite a few relatively obscure films, but I have especially noted the work of director Bernardo Bertolucci as being beautifully filmed stories. His use of lighting, color, and a great eye for/appreciation of natural light's interplay with shadow and landscape adds real depth and timelessness to his works, which include the classics Last Tango In Paris and The Last Emperor, as well as slightly more obscure films such as The Sheltering Sky, Little Buddha, and Stealing Beauty. All of which are true works of art in varying ways. He's kind of like a less disturbing version of Stanley Kubrick, and is rightly considered a true master.

• Oh good, I was hoping you would show up and give me some ideas on what to watch :)

• You know what else is really good is The City of Lost Children, a French made film.

• Coming up with new ones! I'm reallllly making you work at this, aren't I? LOL

What Guys Said 3

• There's especially one that comes to my mind right now. It's an American production but not so well-known I think. It's called "Man from Earth". The story is about a guy who is about to move to another city (or country, we don't really know). In order to say goodbye to his very best friends, he organizes this little goodbye-party where he invites about 5 or 6 of his friends. Just like himself, they are all college professors and smart people. One of them is a biologist, another one is a palaeontologist and so on. As they are chatting and eating dinner and having a good time, one of his friends suddenly make a remark that they know so little about his past. The friends all feel a little weird about the fact that they are this guy's best friends but they don't know anything about his earlier life. So the guy finally admits to them that he is in fact a very strange person and that there's something about him that they will probably never believe. He reveals to his friends that he was born in the neolithicum, about 11,000 years ago but for some odd reason, he simply never died. He experienced the whole last 11,000 years of world history first hand. Of course his friends just love about this and think he's making a stupid joke. However, he keeps insisting and the further the talk goes, the more his friends become concerned about the guy's sanity. Now, the super interesting part comes when his friends - all smart people - start interrogating him. Fascinatingly, the guy has an answer for EVERY question and all his answers seem to make sense. It's a very realistic movie in the sense that you can really picture yourself sitting there and interrogating him in disbelief. Everything seems to make total sense and everything seems to point to the only result possible: that their friend is really saying the truth. However, on the other hand there's the scientific knowledge that people just can't become 11,000 years old. It's just not possible. So how can one bring these two things together? I absolutely love the movie because it's not so much about the super-natural story of living forever itself but it's about the social interaction between the friends. Imagine your best friend would tell you something absolutely unbelievable but he/she would tell it to you in all seriousness, what would you do? Swiss writer and philosopher Max Frisch once said "if you ever want to make sure somebody will certainly not believe you, you should tell the truth." I think that's quite true..

• I liked a John Travolta movie called White Man's Burden which my friends hated - It just basically reversed the race roles in modern day america

• Detention. It has really low reviews but it was hilarious to me.

What Girls Said 9

• I really like fire proof and mona lisa smile but they seem to be unpopular with most people.

• I didn't mind Mona Lisa Smile. I didn't know it was considered unpopular. I figured people who just like Julia Roberts would have liked it automatically.

• Chronicles of Riddick

• I'd say the human centipede. It's really disturbing and gory but I like it, it's a pretty interesting movie.

• I like Real Steel but everyone seems to think its boring :/

• This isn't exactly small time but "Rocky Horror" is one that is not for everyone.

• I don't know I really like stardust but no one ever really talks about that one.

• Drop Dead Fred

• OMG I loved that movie!! I worked in a video store in the early 1990s and rented it and copied it at home. LOL

• I still use the line, "Cobwebs" when referring to someone who hasn't had sex for a long time. LOL

• Omg me too hahaha

• i really liked human centipede.