Sometimes I feel "bad" for wearing something?

Sometimes I look at other girls and think "wow, they look gorgeous in those clothes. I'll also dress like that". But then when the time comes I feel bad for wearing it. It's like, I feel like people will think I am trying to seek for attention and like everyone is looking at me. If people look at me I'll think they're probably thinking negative things. I know it's stupid. But it happens sometimes. Maybe it's because I usually wear "normal" clothes, but somedays I feel like dressing up and want to feel pretty. But then, again, I think it is "too much" because that's not what I usually wear.

For example: I bought this socks because I really love them. I only wore them once though, because even if I really like them, I feel like people are looking at me.
I love shorts and I like to see it in other people, but when I use them in college or something I don't feel good because I spend 99% of the time wearing pants. If that makes sense.

Girls, have you ever felt something like this? Just wanted to know if it's just me or anyone else xD

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel you. I've been changing my wardrobe, slowly cause I don't have much money, but when I wear the new style I feel like people are staring, and that my friends and family are gonna judge me (actually my family does judge me, that's common in them). But I look better on those clothes, that's why I bought them. So I just stopped thinking about what they may be thinking, and just focus on how f*cking hot I look on those clothes.
    Just do that, look into the mirror before you go out and just think about how hot you look on those clothes. Wear whatever you want, force yourself to wear that, that way you'll get used to it and stop thinking about others, cause actually, people don't give a shit about what you're wearing, it's all in your head.

• I know what you mean!! And yeah, you're right. We just care too much xD
      Even if they stare, people will get used after a while, anyways. So, I guess it's time for us to start not giving a sh*t, lol. Thank you! :)

• Thanks for the MHO

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I've definitely felt like that. Funny enough, the last time I felt like that was when debating whether or not to wear a pair of thigh-high socks very similar to the ones you posted.

It was for a friend's going away party, and I knew the socks would go super well with a particular dress but.. I opted not to wear the socks. Felt like it would make the outfit way too racy. Make me seem like an attention-whore. A week or two after that, there was another get-together for a friend's birthday. I was wearing a dress again, and was like f it. I'm gonna wear them this time. Nothing attention-seeking about wearing an outfit inspired by countless super cute ones I see on pinterest!

Needless to say, the socks were a hit. I got a ton of compliments on them, from friends and of course my boyfriend. Looked great on pictures, and I felt good after a bit too. I realized it's not good to let other people's potential opinions of how you look, whether it be outfit, hair styles, whatever, affect your choices. Nobody should judge on things like that. If it makes you feel good, it's none of their business.

• Ahaha, I know what you mean so well!! I'm glad I'm not alone :)
      And thank you! I'll definitely keep that in mind :)

What Guys Said 7

• Even as a guy, I guess I kind of had a moment like that. It got cold and windy, so my ears were freezing every time I walked to class (at my college/university). I thought, "Wow, look at all these people with beanies. Beanies are badass!"

So then I got one, but then I wore it and felt stupid for doing it, like I was somehow wearing the beanie wrong lol. Eventually it just went in my backpack, never to be seen again.

• I get into a rut sometimes as I look at myself and see boring or plain. I want to look good, but I just don't know what to wear to get that look. This is where looking at other people comes in. Then I feel bad too for "copying" their look and I further feel bad for not being able to come up with the new look on my own.

• I think you are living up to your username - Rules for clothes
    (1) Wear what you like for these reasons
    . I feel comfortable
    . I look good
    . I enjoy wearing them
    It is you wearing it not anyone else so there opinion doesn't count,

• As long as the clothes you wear makes you feel good, and isn't overly revealing i say go for it! get dressed up! get attention!

just dress in a way that makes people think "wow she is beautiful!"
    not "Dude i would fuck her"

Ps. I like those socks

• I get what you mean. I don't wear clothes that are over revealing, however I kinda feel this kind of socks are way too racy. Or even shorts. But that's probably because I usually wear pants.
      Anyways, thank you for giving me motivation :)

• Haha no problem :)
      Those socks are pretty racy... but i think you should/can pull them off =)

• Fair enough :)

• Wear what makes you happy when you want to wear it. If people actually really pay attention to what you wear. Chances are it's because they think it looks good.

• You are over analysing yourself and for some reason you feel guilty. Don't. You are allowed to do whatever you like. Stop over analysing yourself and just wear what you like. I dress like a teenager most of the time (so I've been told by weird judgmental people) and I don't care: I like it. Who cares what other people think? Live your life

• You're completely right. I guess I'll take a bit of your unconcern, lol. Thank you for the advice :)

• i just see one problem. U think too much xD u are free too dress whatever u want. people always will judge u.. If u dress "normal clothes" people say: look at her dont even take care of her self of something like that. if u dress more sexy: show in off... if u dress more classy: she thinks she its better than everyone. People alwasy judge, SO DRESS WHATEVER U WANT AND DONT FEEL BAD FOR IT!

What Girls Said 2

• You're definitely not alone! Many at times I hesitate to dress up beautifully because mainly what I always wear are casual tees and shorts/jeans. I'd feel awkward to wear a skirt or even dress because I think that people might judge me. But sometimes I couldn't be bothered about what others think and I'd just wear it. Who cares if anyone thinks I'd look stupid wearing it? As long as I'm comfortable wearing it then it's alright.

• Oh god, It's good to know you understand me! ahah
      And you're definitely right. We shouldn't bother that much about that others think, I guess. "The less you care, the happier you'll be"! :)

• Ohhh, I've seen people like that around the internet, too. It's stupid to say it's someone fault for being raped just because the way they dress. I mean, WTF o_o
      Where were you from?

• I'm from Malaysia. 😊

• I kinda get what you mean. When I wear low cut tops/dresses I feel a little bit silly as my boobs are really small.