Are you mixed if your parents are of different ethnicities of the same race?

Question inspired by @Ihav2fart

• Yes. If e. g. your father is Korean and your mom is from Chinese, you're mixed.
  • No. You're only mixed if your parents are from different races.
  • I have no clear opinion. Show me what others have voted.
In other words, does 'mixed' always imply -mixed race- to you or do you accept -mixed ethnicity- people to be 'mixed' too?

The Korean Chinese example was just an example. You can make your own examples.

Most Helpful Guy

• Definitely mixed ethnicity, but to most people of different races, that person will still be called Asian

• The question though is.. will someone get funny looks for saying he's mixed, because has a Thai and a Chinese parent... or Filipino and Japanese parent?

• I don't think so. at least I wouldn't lol. It just clears up exactly what ethnicity they are instead of me guessing. I have guessed people wrong before and it got awkward lol

Most Helpful Girl

• yes. there are some traits that the other doesn't share. i can't really explain.

even where my family is from, when a southeast Asian mixes with another southeast Asian, they'll say they're mixed.

What Guys Said 14

• *********Scroll all the way down if you want your answer in a nutshell!*********

The first thing that springs to mind is "'by who's standards and what are those standards?" In essence, the problem with use the term 'race' as a form of classification is based on many inconsistencies and assumptions about someone usually based on their anatomical differences.

Another thing to note is that the term 'mixed' is completely used as a reference in terms of the specificity of the confines of how deeply you are looking into differentiating between different groups of people to correctly place one's origin.

Consider this statement; I can consider myself 'black' because I 'look' like the stereotypical black person and my immediate heritage is Yoruba. Here's the problem with it; I am already interchanging between the idea of 'race' and the idea of 'ethnicity' which could suggest that both terms are codependent on each other to correctly identify my origin. Many people do this when classifying.

Now consider this statement; I consider myself mixed because my great-grandmother is half Chinese (it what sense?). This is easy to accept and easy to classify since being 'black' and being 'Chinese' are generally seen as different on many different levels.

Both of the previous paragraphs are true about me just so you know.

Now hypothetically consider someone who's mother is Korean and their father is Japanese. One would be able to consider them still the same race if the who race they were using was 'oriental' but if the context of the conversation was specifically talking between different backgrounds between different countries, then they would have to say they are 'mixed' because of how deep they are looking into it.

In short, the answer to your question is no if you group different ethnicties as one race and the answer is yes if you don't different ethnicities as one race.

• damn you @Ihav2fart, the fuck is going on :P

im probably mixed with something.

• It depends on how the person looks at it and what definition they use. A Korean and a Chinese person mixed sounds Asian to me like a German and a person from Poland mixed sounds white. I don't think there is really a right answer.

• I don't think there's a right answer either.. Just wanted to hear opinions ^^

• Yeah it looks like that site made the word mix more broad. They use the word "multicultural" so by mix they mean mixed culture. They broke down European and Asian countries into the different ethnicities, but didn't do the same for African countries or Indigenous American tribes. They also said Jennifer Lopez is only Puerto Rican and she's on the list *shrugs*

• Yeah, I noticed that too. Weird list.

• i am mixed, my mother is mexican, and my father was italian
    to be honest, my mom is pretty white and so was my father

but they were mixed

My italian family has greek ancestry, my mom has arab ancestry
    Thats why people think i am north African or Mediterranean

I voted YES (a)

• Does Mexican mean Native Americans in Mexico or a mix of Italian/Native Americans and nobody really knows?

• @Diego9O Oh yeah, thanks, that's what I thought. So may I know what you voted in my poll?

• I voted for the first option since ethnically you're mixed.

• I'm a quarter Chinese, and 75 percent Cambodian. Though, to be honest, I think I read or heard somewhere that all Cambodians have SOME Chinese mixed in with them. Possibly a mixture of Chinese and Thai somewhere early on in history? Not sure.

• I see. I know nothing about Cambodia xD Do you say you're mixed though?
      How do you get those 25%? Is one grandparent Chinese or 2 grandparents of either side half-Chinese or 4 great-grandparents half-Chinese?

• Dad is half Chinese half Cambodian.

• No I am not all though my dad is a different skin color than my mom if that counts he used to be white, but now he has a permanent tan.

• 100 percent Swede in the house

• Ireland is about 95% white and irish - Highly unlikely to find too many mixed race children

• I see. But would you consider someone who's half Irish and half English to be mixed? I didn't say mixed race.. just mixed.

• I see ^^ Are there comedians who make fun of those differences... or is it something you must not joke about?

• It is okay in the republic of Ireland ( The south ) to joke about it but it would be much more sensitive in Northern Ireland.

• Mixed yes
    mixed race no

• I mean you can be mixed ethnicities and still be part of the same race.

While Korean and Japanese are different ethnicities, they're still part of the same race.

• Probably not to white people, but yes you're still technically mixed.

• Those who are white but know that not all Asians or Latinos are the same, disregard what I said.

• Why? By that definition I'm sure there are also many mixed white people in the US. Irish/Dutch or Polish/English. 😊

• Ethnically, yes. Every born American is. But not racially.

• Technically you are mixed if your parents are from different races. That doesn't make you for who you are. You are an individual and you make yourself your own being. After all we are all humans.

• Interesting question but I voted C lol

• Mixed when it comes to your ancestors nationality... but I wouldn't consider you a mixed race since there are only three human races on this planet. Negroids, Mongoloids, and Caucasoids.

• What are Indians on those categories of yours?

• Pacific islanders and Maoris are both Mongoloids. Same with Native Americans. Unless we're referring to those from India. They are actually Caucasoids.

Some anthropologist recognize 4 but most recognize 3 major races. The three that I gave. The 4th that some recognized are Australoids.

• @Kalibie He answered.

So Caucasoid is the largest human race, since it spans from the Americas to India.

What Girls Said 11

• I voted A, but I think it depends on who you're talking to.

If you're talking to someone of a different race, then you just tell them your race.

If you're talking to someone of the same race, then you can get more specific and tell them the mix in your ethnicity.

• Same race and ethnicity :)

• What do you mean?

• I'm not saying they're claiming to be an entirely different race. But they (those who are 100% of one ethnicity) don't feel "close" to other ethnicities of the same race, so they don't want to acknowledge there's actually something they share with those other ethnicities.
      Of course to you, they'll all be one race. But to them, they're not.

• I agree with you.
      I tend to feel different from other ethnicities although the same racial background is shared.
      But I know at the end of the day, by others we will be look at as the same (to those who have know knowledge of our cultural background).
      But yeah, like I said I considered mixed people (parents of different races) only.

• I would say yes. Thought about it form the perspective of my 1/2 English 1/2 French friend. They are mixed.

• I'm half Cuban and half white (there's a lot of random European on my mom's side...) and unless people ask I don't get more specific than that. I'm clearly mixed but the European part doesn't exactly get defined as multiple parts unless someone gets in depth with it. I think that makes sense xD

• mixed ethnicities yes 👍
    mixed race no👎

I am mixed race. My mum is a black belizean while my dad is white British.

• Yeah you are

• That... is a good question. Lmfao

• You're mixed ethnically, but not racially.

• Yeah, but do people who are mixed ethnically go around and tell they're mixed? You don't hear people who have a Polish father and Hungarian mother say they're mixed, do you?

• mixed and mixed race are two different things

• From a European point of view you aren't mixed

• That's kinda like if both your parents are African except one is white and one is black