Should have Greece voted 'Yes' Or 'No' ?

So, All the people in the EU probably know what im on about, But basically, Yesterday Greece was given a refferendum due to its current economic crisis, With the options being

Yes - Accept a bailout from the EU but face EXTREMELY strict Austerity measures (Austerity is very unwelcomed as it basically means no public services and no state bennefits and no retirement) BUT, Auserity could help end the economic Crisis if the greeks saw it through for a few years.

No - Don't accept an EU bailout, this means Greece continues its stupid spending and borrowing that it can NEVER hope to repay, This is popular among the people as Greek people are lazy when it comes to paying taxes and expect LOTS of state bennefits (Culture differences), But, This would either speed up the collapse of the Euro or force greece to declare bankruptcy as a nation and capitulate, leaving the EU and having to essentially start again as a country with a new currency and never pay back its debts (Which will SERIOUSLY piss of the rest of the world).

For all those who aren't aware, Yesterday, The greek people voted No by 67%. Was that the right call?

• They should have voted YES
    23% (3)57% (12)44% (15)Vote
  • They were correct to vote NO
    77% (10)43% (9)56% (19)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
5|13

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 4

• I've been watching this situation since day one. I even wrote an essay on it for my economics class. I'm surprised at the people who voted "yes". Do you realize this situation impacts the world? Also this only gets worse for Greece. What country will ever lend them money again? The people of Greece want everything solved without having to give up their lifestyle. They're at the point they can only get $67 out of the ATM a day and they still said no. I'd say they need a wake up call but it came and they still aren't waking up!

0|0
    0|0
    • Yup, Its lazy people and their state handouts, 40 y/o retirement age and the fact hardly anyone actually pays taxes is not helping :/.

• I support their decision. They were right to vote No.

1|0
    0|0
    • Why were they right? (Just curious)

• Show All
    • they can postpone the paying maybe? For now.
      I do not know how they solve really.

• The problem is, The countries that have given greece this money, need it themselves, I mean, look at germany, 56Billion!, Thats an absolute fuck load of money! xD, Thats more money then a lot of countries have ever spent in the past 30 years, And thats what a single nation is owed ! Those countries want their money back because they need it themselves to pay for the things its people need (I. e pensions, military etc.) Imagine you lent $56 to your friend, And suddenly the bank told you you had to give them $56 and you went and asked your friend for your money back but they had spend it on useless shit and couldnt give you it back, Thats basically the situation th EU nations are in with Greece.
      The only way to solve it, Is for the greek people to accept austerity (Start paying taxes, Very high retirement age and no handouts), But like i said, The greek people do not like this as (Not bein racist) they have a VERY greedy and lazy culture.

• They were correct to vote NO. For their own good.

1|0
    0|0
    • What makes you say that matey?

• I'll be honest, I am not really into politics but it has been at least 5 years since Greece is suffering from being in the EU. I guess this proves that they aren't benefiting much from it.

• The reason greece is suffering, Its because a country makes all its money from taxes, Thats how the government pays for things. But the situation in greek is the greek peoples fault. Look at it like this.
      Germany is probably the strongest country (Economically) in the world right now
      Germans pay all their taxes, They get little government handouts and bennefits, and they retire very old.
      Greeks pay NO taxes, They expect LOTS of handouts and bennefits and they retire very young.
      This means, The greek government earns no money, And relies 100% on the EU countries to lend it money (Which it can never pay back), But now, Its gotten to a point where all the other countries need their money back, And greece quite simply has no money to give them, And now the greek people refuse to accept changes in their society (Having to pay tax, High retirement age, no handouts) because they are quite simply lazy and greedy.

• They should have voted Yes of course. Now who knows what is going to happen there!

0|0
    1|0
    • May i ask what makes you say that? (Just Curious) ;)

• Show All
    • So... Ultimately i think the situation became worse for them. Tsipras only cares about his political views being fullfilled and i do not believe he has a strategy to get Greeks out of this mess.

• Also, as you must have surely seen on the news, many Greek people were running to atm machines to take their money from the bank (take the euros). Wothout being in the EU, they will have their own coin, which will b like half the value of the euro. And we know that the 2 most powerful coins in circulation nowadays ate the euro and the dollar. Life will bcome tough fpr the greek no doubt!

What Guys Said 13

• They made a hard choice, but a wise and necessary choice in saying no thank you to the terms dictated by the bankers and ECB. It is a hard choice due there being NO money in their banks, and none coming from outside the country. Not at least for a considerable length of time, to "teach them a lesson", and so that the other countries in the euro system don't get any ideas about asking to renegotiate the loan terms for themselves. This whole thing has got the predatory bankers on the ropes. It's also good in the end for Greece, as it will force them to rethink things, and to de-socialize their country, if not teach them a hard lesson that their model cannot ever work, and is unsustainable.

0|0
    0|0
  • They re-elected Tsypras and his SYRIZA party today. With 61 percent of the vote counted, SYRIZA had 35.5 percent of the vote and 145 seats in the 300-member parliament, while the Independent Greeks were in seventh place with 3.6 percent and 10 seats.
    Congrats.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess the future will tell whether they made the right choice or not, quite sad about what you said considering the Greeks used to have some of the strongest and toughest warriors on the planet and a powerful empire.

But as I said time will tell whether they made the right choice or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • They made the right choice. Besides there was nothing actually being voted on. The bailout deal for which they were voting was supposed to be agreed by Tuesday. Even if there was a yes, nothing would have changed. The debt would not ever become sustainable and the country would little by little slip further and further into depression.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they should pay their debts

0|0
    0|0
    • They have no money to pay it with though because their lazy population dosen't believe they should have to pay taxes. Because greeks are stupid like that.

• they are right to vote for no because Europe can't offer more to greece. greece is in a crisis right now but after a couple of years they will slowly start to recover from that crisis.

1|0
    0|0
    • Well. Not on their own they won't, I don't if you are aware, But in Greece right now, It is so bad you can only withdraw tiny amounts of money per week, People are actually getting kicked out of their homes because they can't pay their houses/rent because all their savings in the bank now no longer exist, greece is fucked.
      They will not 'recover' from this, They will collapse as a nation if they do not get money somehow, There is no 2 ways about it.

• you got a point, they still need more help from Europe but the people has chosen for no and i think that we should respect that. if they had chosen yes then there would be more benefits. but i think that karma plays a big role here because greece saw themselves as the ultimates and they didn't care about the countries outside the Europe so what goes around comes back around. ps: im not a hater of greece i find it very sad what happens there

• Tad bit thick if they went for no. Trying to get more money off the Germans - the people helping you - by screaming at them for Nazi warcrimes is stupid enough.
    Just goes to show why you shouldn't elect a government based on the promises they make.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I think voting no was the right choice, now they can decide their own future instead of being arm twisted by ECB

1|0
    0|0
    • Well... They can't exactly decide their own future? they have no money? They will collapse within the next few months as a nation if they dont accept money offa the EU monetary fund.

• yes but the deal that was being offered by ECB and EU was very insulting and suppressive, now they can control their own economy without foreign interference. There are chances that the economy may recover, however you're right tough times are ahead and some outside help is required. Probably they should seek outside Europe itself.

• Simple fact of the matter is, The offer NEEDS to be insulting.
      This is a country in 343,000,000,000 (Billion) debt. They cannot continue like this or they will destroy the entire economy of the western world.
      The Greek people are just greedy, they completely refuse to do whats needed to fix their country and continue to demand stupid state bennefits and not paying taxes because they are lazy and greedy. And that will ultimately be the destroying factor of greece. Its culture is just economically shit.
      They need money, But noone wants to give them money because they will just blow it all on stupid shit and be in the exact same situation 1 year from now after blowing another 100Billion bailout fund on more stupid and useless shit.
      They need Austerity or this situation will just continue until people stop giving them money and greece is economically collapsed into the stone age.

• I think they should yes! EU doesn't command some changes to make the lives of the greek worse but better in time.

0|0
    0|0
  • From a capitalist point of view no seems more logical "selfish"

0|0
    0|0
  • You know nothing about greeks...

0|0
    0|0
  • They should invade the the east get all them riches.

0|0
    0|0
  • doesn't really matter, they can't pay back their debt anyhow, 25% unemployment, 35% work for the government, a lot on lifetime pensions (they retire there at 40 with a lifetime pension if they worked for the govt). They have defaulted 5 times, they never intended to pay the money back. They haven't cut government spending by even one dollar.
    Doesn't matter... they are doomed. They begged for $$ from others so they could live well. (And retiring at 40 IS living well). The senior government officials live like kings... It is pathetic... There is no way for anyone else to save them. They need to actually go to work.

0|0
    1|0
    • I agree, They are all just greedy lazy fucks who refuse to take responsibilty for their actions and even as their nation capitulates and their banks shut down, even as they face one of the biggest economic failures in history, STILL, they demand fucking low retirement age, no tax and low bennefits.
      They are a society of fuckwits.

• well, we are the idiots that keep bailing them out... I hope our voters are watching and seeing where we are headed with welfare and an ever expanding government... but I doubt that too...

If they go back to the Drachma... watch out.. they will have those printing presses working overtime... an olive will be like a million drachma...