Have you ever done an unpaid internship?

Have you ever done an unpaid internship or co-op term? If so, for what? Have you ever done a paid internship? Discuss.

• Yes - unpaid
  • No - paid internships only
  • No - never interned

Most Helpful Girl

• I did one that was paid but it was really low wage. Technically I wasn't employed as I was a student. So it was lower than minimum wage. It lasted 8 months and I did get a job at the end of it. Which the pay is pretty good.

• As long as there was a job at the end of it! Even a low wage job is better than nothing... Though I doubt it covers expenses.

• I was still living with my parents at the time. So I didn't have loads of bills to pay

What Guys Said 10

• never have but I definitely would not have minded taking one. new experiences are always nice.

• Hopefully you would have someone bankroll you for the duration.

• If you're taking a year long unpaid internship (with long hours, as most are basically the same as a full-time job) you're either going to need a "sponsor" or you have to live at home with generous parents.

• wow I totally didn't get what you meant by bankroll until you explained it, hahaa. yeah most likely I would've just been living with my parents then.

• Yeah, I did and it sucked. It helped me make my mind up about sticking to academia instead of joining the business world, though.

• Yep. Didn't get a job at the end of it because I was 'over qualified' (they hired the slack jawed local lass who couldnt even load the photocopier), but they offered me another unpaid internship.

• OMG seriously? EPITOME of rudeness.

• Yep... They apparently needed someone to help the new receptionist answer the phone (and make sure she actually wrote down who called in the message book) and re-fill the printer/photocopier.

• I did a 6 month, unpaid internship in the third year of my college course. Doing an internship was required though.

• I think most people do it to get experience otherwise no one will hire you without experience and reference

• It's a catch-22. You need the experience in your field, but you also need to support yourself on something.

• For the support you could work weekends and stay with your parents it only last for a year at most something you have to go through in your career

• My profession offers more paid internships than unpaid. It is, however, a matter of finding them.

• I'veworked for some dishonest assholes before that didn't pay me what they promised, but that's as close as I've come to that... How's it going, btw?

• Unpaid internship is illegal in my country.

• It's technically illegal here too, but they can get away with it by calling it a "training program."

• It is also illegal to have unpaid training (so that some smartasses won't exploit it).

• I've done both, but the poll doesn't include people like me :'(

• Nevaaaa. Only paid.

• Yes many times during my graduation

What Girls Said 3

• Yeah of course. They gave food tickets though. It was an obligatory internship and at the end I was kinda happy not to continue permanent there because it was a horrible place.

• Unpaid.
    Worked at the zoo for a month
    Because of BOCES.
    Not sure if that counts though.

• I don't know what BOCES are but thanks for your input.

• Kinda like vocational/ technical school.
      & Welcome.

• No. As jesus said the laborer is entitled to his wages!