Do you agree that blocking people for debating with you is a cowardly move?

Like for instance someone answered a question, then another person comes along and tries to debate with them about what they said. If that person blocks them for trying to debate with them would you say they are being a coward?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think so. I've always thought so. Or people who completely misunderstand and won't allow the person to clarify.

I have been one of the latter but I haven't ever blocked someone first (except on another site. This guy was SO irrational. It wasn't the fact that he debated me--I was fine with that. It was the fact that he was so illogical to the point that he considered it shallow for someone to NOT date someone they weren't sexually attracted to... and couldn't understand how wrong he was yet tried to twist it around on me and made asinine assumptions which made another fool agree with him. He can die for all I care).

But yes. (Sorry... another anecdote. I was once blocked by a guy who said that if I didn't win a circumcision debate with him, I have to go get my clit cut off... just because I see more positives in it than negatives though I feel like the parents should let the boy choose. He was a dumbo. :))

What Girls Said 9

• Not necessarily. It depends on the nature of the dialogue and what type of tone was being included.
    You have to think outside of your own skull and your own desire to debate to realize that...
    -Some people may not be in the mood to debate. They may be enjoying a chill, serene mood and someone's debate style disrupts that.
    -Some people are not interested in the back and forth. Being argumentative and going back and forth isn't an activity that interests and engages everyone. There are people who simply choose not to distribute their free time into having an excessive, possibly lengthy discussion.
    - A lot of people who seek a debate really don't possess the communication skills, social etiquette, and finesse to have a PRODUCTIVE dialogue that serves a purpose greater than desperately trying to stroke their ego. If someone speaks to you as if their main intent is to win an invisible, nonexistent trophy by the end of the conversation, then talking to them can legitimately be tiring and seem like a waste of time.

Just because one person wants to spend their time, energy, and effort debating on the internet doesn't mean another person shares the same desire. Nor do they have to compromise what they wish to do in their free time in order to serve a stranger's desire online.

As a woman with a ton of family members who served in the military and someone who has personally seen violence in Brazilian hoods, the concept that bravery is achieved by giving a stranger online attention and gratifying their urge to debate sounds silly and arrogant.

• I think a lot of people have a mistaken idea that they are entitled to someone's extensive thought, energy, and effort although they haven't earned it and given a total stranger online any legitimate reason to focus on them for more than a few moments.

• I've had many great discussions where I fiercely disagree with someone and I still won't block. I WILL block the person when the insults are coming on - and it's always me on the receiving end. When that happens, it's no longer a debate. I'll even give it another comment or two to see if the person calms down, but if they don't, I make it l clear with my universal warning: "We will no longer continue this discussion." If you ever see that from me, it means you've insulted me personally and you know it, and I refuse to tolerate any more of it, I don't care what the discussion is.

• Name calling, saying things like "you are uneducated", "I'm more educated than you", "fuck off", "bitch, suck my dick", "hope you die", "pls jump off a building" are not considered debates. It's just stupid come backs that warrants their childishness.

• Yes, its a tad bit annoying, but it basically means I won, so its cool.

• No because the person could just be annoying

• Very very lol

• Yes, it just makes them look dumb too

• It would be as though they didn't want to hear others opinions, just state their own as though it's the law! I wouldn't say cowardly, just a perfect species which can't be bothered with opening their minds to opinions of commoners.

• It would be dependant on how they are debating. If it turns into a flame war then, yes.

What Guys Said 12

• Absolutely. You yell out your opinion in a public space then prevent any kind of rebuttle is anti intellectual and offensive. Its like yelling out an opinion and then screaming out that no one else can say anything or express there ideas because your entitled to your own opinion. Its disgusting behavior and cowardly. Liars fear the truth. Cowards, opinions.

• Many so called "debates" here quickly turns into arguments and not everyone feels like arguing with random people. Especially when they know that neither will change their opinion or they are being disrespectful in their tone.

Would you be a coward if you hang up the phone when a random stranger called you up and wants to have a debate with you or could it simply be that you feel you could spend that time better than arguing with a stranger?

• I think it depends on the person, and the nature of the debate.

Having a polite back and firth discussion with someone, in which you each present your opinions, supported by facts and evidence, is one thing. The two people have to be willing to see the issue from the other person's perspective, and be willing to adjust the views in light of a persuasive argument

Constantly telling the other person, "No, you're wrong, and stupid, because it's impossible for me to be wrong!" is entirely different.

Obviously, I don't onow the details of any instance you are referring too, but I would block the second type of person.

• it is cowardly yes. It's an admission that you lack the ability to defend what you say. There are particular people on here who do this for sport, because they are weak minded and kinda sissified to the point that they think debating ideas is counter productive.

• Once the person is polite and respectful they are entitled to the opportunity to debate.

• I avoid long debates just to save my productive hours.
    its wise not to indulge in debates which have no constructive end and r not meaningful

• Agreed! We are given limited time alive. For all we know, we could die later on tonight or tomorrow. So spending excessive time going back and forth online to please and gratify a stranger? Nah. You're not obligated to fulfill someone's hobby or urge to debate online.

• Yes. I even less interact with people on daily basis who pick a topic start debate on it for an hourrrr...

• No, at least personally, I am just coming to put some opinions and am not coming to debate.
    So, sometimes I block people for that because I did not want to debate.

• If it's a healthy debate then yeah it's pathetic and immature.

I was arguing with this asker who disagreed with my opinion. He was saying that his children's minds were being poisoned by LGBT lessons in school and he believed that a same sex couple could never raise a child properly. Then he claimed that I was ignorant and I didn't know the facts. Just as I was sending my masterpiece in which I threw facts and statistics that disproved absolutely everything he was saying... I discovered he had blocked me...

I was absolutely FUMING! He was trying to make it seem as though he had won the argument and I had nothing to fight back with. So I reported his comment on my opinion and it disappeared. You fuck with me I'll fuck with you bitch :)

• I think it is. Any idea not sound enough to stand up to debate needs to be picked apart anyway.

• Arguing, yes, debating, no. Arguing is yelling, debating is using known facts to prove a point. I see no proof of anything on this site, so, it turns in to yelling

• Usually opposite sex blocks people here, they are indeed timid, arguing here is useless coz of so called blocking feature, I mean you can just ignore their comments simple

• it's kinda a female move

but if the person is just forcing an opinion then it's ok