How much should a 19 y/o have in their bank account after a summer of work?

I'm 19 and have been working a lot this summer. This is my vacation week. So far, I sadly only have $3.7k in my bank account. It seems like just a constant uphill struggle to pay for food, gas, and whatnot. I feel like I'm doing so much worse than everyone else my age. I estimate by the time I'm done working the summer and go into one day a week work with school, I'll only have maybe a little more than $5k in my account. Is that bad? I guess I'll just have to keep saving because I just want a different car that's under $10k and it seems like I'll never be able to afford one. Obviously I will, especially after I graduate with an engineering degree, but still I feel so behind everyone else.

Most Helpful Guy

• That's pretty good.

What Girls Said 2

• I think you're doing just fine. Most people In college are not doing any better, unless they come from a very wealthy family. You could get some type of loan to help pay for the car if you wanted, that way you don't have to put all of the money down upfront.

• I think your on the right track.

What Guys Said 6

• i got an advice for you.
    When comparing yourself; strive to be among the best 50%. You will NEVER be at the top, there will always be that one spoiled bitch with a fater who got way too much money, and always be that frat boy who can afford everything.
    As long as you make the ends meet, and can save a little, be happy about that. And know that you will face life and be ready; you will know what to do when life gets hard.
    And that makes the good times much more enjoyable, and the bad times easier to handle.

It may be hard, but in the long run you will gain A LOT on it.

• trust me when i say this

if you constantly compare yourself to the top people of your highschool class, you're gonna have a bad time.

You just gotta accept that you're not #1 atm, and that's fine.

There are plenty of kids doing far worse than you.

• I graduated with 3.7k in the bank. Cost of living was lower. I got a great deal on my car thanks to a family friend

• 5k sounds good to me

• That's life man. Money sucks, but be grateful you're making it. It's hard enough too get a job as it is these days, so be happy. It's a learning experience and it builds you into a better working person in the long run

• Bout tree fiddy!