Should titles for women change?

Like men are "mr" while women, depending on marital status, are "miss", "mrs", and "ms". Isn't this sexist? I know it seems like a stupid thing to care about but it bothers me. I think it should just be "miss" or "ms" whichever, I don't really care. So what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• These don't exist in Dutch, I'd say get rid of them. But in English I always use Ms anyway since it works for both.

• And yes they're sexist. They don't exist for men. So no need to keep them.

• No prob! I think you deserve it after all that stuff that guy put you through lol

What Guys Said 7

• In my opinion the whole title thing is unnecessary. I have never in my life addressed anybody with a title, because we don't have it in Finland. Here everyone is equal, no matter of age, gender and marriage status :)

• Glad someone else agrees. (: too bad it's not like that in the US.

• Some like it. They like having the status change when they get married. They want more than the ring on their finger to say that they are in a marriage.

• Hmm well then why can't men have the same thing? To me if feels like women are being treated as property.

• I personally just don't care. I don't even notice when people call me Mr. before my name. I don't even remember the last time it happened. I'm not fighting for it to remain the same I'm just saying some women like having it. I'm just not sure what can actually be done because many people actually prefer having different titles. But I understand if you don't like it.

• I think Ms is most common now

• We generally call people Ms until we KNOW they are married

even then there's a shift happing twords Ms regardless

• I think that you're taking this whole oppression against women thing well too far and that there are bigger things to worry about.

There's nothing sexist about Mrs., Miss, and Ms.
    You're paranoid
    Chill out.

• I never said it was a huge deal, it just bothers me because it isn't fair. Why does it matter if a woman is married or not? And if it does matter then why doesn't it matter if a man is?

• "When did I say that men own their wives?"
      "Hmm well then why can't men have the same thing? To me if feels like women are being treated as property"

She is saying that these titles seem to imply to her that men are supposed to own their wives, and are to be treated as property. But she didn't say that men own their wives. I thought this was easy to understand.

• Yes, argue semantics.

"She isn't saying that they own them but that they're supposed to own them" what the fuck is the difference? These titles to her distinguish between property and human, and if they are being assigned to people who are married, then she is saying it's like they're owned, which is exactly what I'm saying she's saying.

You think you're smart for double talking, but you're just going full circle (and full retard). This all leads back to the same thing I've been saying: She is irritated by titles because they're possessive and she feels they're sexist, when really women aren't bothered by it and don't feel owned, so this whole bullshit argument you and here have about institutionalized sexism and brainwashing is fucking old.

I'm blocking you now because you won't shut up.

• I would rather do away with those titles. Keep profession based titles. Maybe keep sir or ma'am

• Oh that sounds like a good idea as well.

• what does this accomplish if changed?

• Just changing something that is extremely sexist.

• say something... i'm sorry you don't understand ask a question

What Girls Said 4

• I like it the way it is

• It would be easier if they referred to all woman by the same but I don't mind the Miss / Mrs and Ms.

• i think it's fine the way it is

• Ms is divorced though or separated miss is single an Mrs married not sexist at all

• But why don't similar terms exist for men? That's what makes it sexist. Women are treated like property here. By the way Ms isn't only for divorced women, it's also just for anyone.

• Yes it is since men don't have a title change when married. It's not the women who are being sexist here, just the titles.

• The titles are being sexist so who is to blame lol 😂 it doesn't affect you at all in life when you really think about it.