How dead set in your beliefs about god (existing or not existing) are you?

If irrefutable evidence were uncovered, proving that there were or weren't a god after all, could you accept it?

• I'm an atheist, and I could cope with new evidence and adjust my beliefs accordingly...
  • I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't believe any "evidence" that were "uncovered"...
  • I'm religeous, and I could cope with new evidence, and adjust my beliefs accordingly...
  • I'm religeous, and i wouldn't believe any "evidence" that were "uncovered"...
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• Only if it was *actually* irrefutable. Like, whatever deity or whatnot would have to come up to me and be like "Dude, I'm real. Let's hang out and you can worship me and whatever."

• My thoughts almost exactly... I'd at-least need like a giant magical toenail or something...

What Girls Said 4

• I'm atheist, but my beliefs are based on what I see as facts. If proof of a god (s) existence were discovered, then of course my belief in him/her/them would change (that's all that would change, though).

• I'm very set on my lack of faith. Until the God stood before me and explained everything, I will never believe in such fairy tales.

• I'm agnostic and I've just been going with the flow so I'd just continue to do that

• im antagonistic

• Me too!! 😆

• an·tag·o·nis·tic
      anˌtaɡəˈnistik/
      adjective
      adjective: antagonistic

showing or feeling active opposition or hostility toward someone or something.

• Ya, I caught that... 😄

What Guys Said 16

• Well, in order to answer such a question we first have to discuss WHICH god you are talking about. If you are talking of the personified god of the bible or the koran, I can say with absolute certainty that this god doesn't exist. There's just way too many logical problems with this claim.
    If, however, you are talking about a more abstract god such as a "higher power" or "some sort of supernatural energy" or a deistic (one that started everything but doesn't get involved anymore at this time) or a pantheistic god such as many tribes who live in close contact with nature know it, I can't exclude his/her/its existence with certainty.
    Generally speaking, I consider myself an agnostic atheist. This means that I don't know for certain whether a god exists or not but I lack the belief in one for a variety of reasons. Apart from the fact that no evidence could be provided in the past few thousands years for god's existence, I also lack the belief in him/her/it because god is what biology would call an "uneconomic hypothesis". Simply put, nature (this includes the universe) like things to be simple and economic. God is not an economic explanation for the world and our universe because it creates more problems and questions than it solves. Therefore, while I do not actually know whether a god exists, I do believe his/her/its existence to be extreeeemly unlikely. It's the same as with the goblins in Ireland. While I can't say for absolute certain that goblins do not exist in Ireland, I believe it's extremely unlikely they do.
    In the extremely unlikely (and for humanity unfortunate) case that god's existence could be proven, I would of course change my mind and believe in him/her/it. Though "believing" is actually not a good word for this anymore... maybe "accepting his existence" is better. I am a scientifically thinking person and this is the most important pillar modern science is built on: opinions don't make facts, facts make opinions. If the facts change, the opinions should change too.
    However, even if I would accept the knowledge of god's existence, I would probably never become one of his friends. I don't see how a god who allows so much suffering in this world can be a good god (in fact, we humans would be ethically superior to such a god). And if he's not a good god, I wouldn't want to get involved with him/her/it in any way.

• Whatever your belief is, can you be dissuaded from it if somehow evidence were brought forth that you just couldn't see any way to argue against...

• Did you actually read my answer? I answered your question in my comment. Plus, I don't have a belief, I actually have a lack of belief.

• I believe in God but if I were given irrefutable evidence that God, or any deity for that matter, did not exist, that would change.

And before anyone says it, evolution and the Big Band does not disprove God. And I know that the Bible does not prove that God is real. I believe in God, but I also believe in facts.

• I agree that evolution and the big bang don't necessarily disprove God 😊

• Agnostic. If they proved the mythical Abrahamic god as correct, I would be devastated that a piece of shit like that rules over us.

• I'm an agnostic borderline theist and I would point out that Atheism is the religion of non-religion :p

• i would say im 99% certain, but leave it open for any concrete evidence to come forth to change my mind.

• I'm agnostic, I just accept that I don't know.

I think its possible that there is a god, however I strongly doubt that he is granting prayers or interfering in any way. My view of God is that he doesn't give a fuck, he's just a passive observer of his creation. and that's IF he exists.

I honestly don't care, I'm more concerned with whether or not there's a continuation of our consciousness after death. I don't really care if there's someone in charge.

• If it really was irrefutable, I would begrudgingly admit God existed - I would have to, or I'd be a hypocrite.

• I dont believe but am willing to. I did for most of my life, but not based on any proper evidence.

• I don't believe in god because I have never seen any evidence that there is one

• used to be religious, not now.

• I'm an agnostic atheist. I can conceive of scenarios where a God or Gods exist, though I don't believe they do. The idea of the particular God of the Christian Bible existing is totally laughable though.

• I voted A, but I've been gone from the church for a long time. Many people have tried to convince me to come back, but all I ever hear is the same old tired, debunked garbage. The only "evidence" I ever hear anymore is basically logical fallacies.

• The bases of my spiritual and ethic belief system are very solid. Though there are moral situations where I can change my perspective easily I don't really know how to explain it.

• I believe in God and I voted D

• I'm an agnostic, but "irrefutable evidence" in my eyes might well turn me into a Deist, or maybe it would make me run and hide and swear off gods forever. :)

Is the evidence good or bad for me personally?

• I still wouldn't care. There's a God? Well God, you made me this way for a reason then so I'll keep acting accordingly. Wanted me to act different then should have made me different. No God? Keep on doing what I am doing cause I'm my own compass.

Either way I'm doing alright.