Is my cat dying?

Is my cat dying?
I got my cat around 2002 when I started kindergarten. He is very old. He's become really skinny and his breathing is a little weird. My family doesn't really take our pets to the vet. (Only when they're young and need shots and stuff). I'm scared that if I take him they'll tell me he's really sick or he needs to be put down. Should I be prepared for him to pass away? What are some things I should look out for and should I convince my family to take him to the vet?

Most Helpful Guy

• I will pray for him 💓

What Guys Said 4

• Naturally if the cat is sick, you have to find out why. So bringing him to the vet is helpful to him.

Accepting death as part of our life is healthy. Whatever the doctor says, you have the choice of letting him go or keeping him until the end.

Whatever it might be, It is better to have clear understanding on his health.

• I understand your fear i really love cats. my cat died when i was 12 i was so sad but i moved on and now i have 10 cats a mother and her son's and daughters plus 2 grandchildren but take you cat to the vet just to be fair with her. Don't make your cat suffer so you won't be sad everyone must go someday

• Make sure your cays not lathargic... and/or has problems getting around to the litterbox... is the appetite healthy.

• He eats a quarter of small can in the morning and he also gets a can to himself at night because my grandma noticed him having trouble eating the hard food. But he'll eat all his wet food.

• It's normal to lose weight when you hit senility, we do it as creatures as well. But like I said be sure to monitor the cats activity, is he/she going to the litter box... do they need assistance in getting to places they normally go... but like someone else stated a vet checkup might not hurt... it isn't too expensive seeing as its a normal vet and not someone specializing in exotics.

• so what happened did he end up dying? did you take him to the vet?

• Wow haven't been on here since I posted that! And I can't see what month it was :p but my cat unfortunately passed away in September. His body just kind of gave up.

What Girls Said 5

• It's a relief to go to the vet and find out it's not as bad as you think. He is only 13 I imagine if you got him as a kitten. Still a bit of time, and small cats tend to live longer than big ones. I wouldn't worry so much, but you should know for sure to ease your mind. Go to a good vet you can trust (look for a vet that doesn't have swanky digs - where do you think all that money came from to pay that - look for a down-to-earth vet with modest surroundings - those people truly do care for the animals more). Good luck and I hope things turn out fine! :)

• Well when my cat died.. He started disappearing more often because they find the right spot to die under or on... my cat ended up curling up underneath his favourite tree where he spent most of his life and fell asleep and just never got up again. It was said... We never take our cats to the vets either.. Cats are meant to live for around 8-9 years I can re, ember being told sometime..

• Aww poor little puss.
    I would consider taking him to the vet. He might be ill and not dying.

• A similar thing happened to our cat before he died, our cat became incontinent too though. My parents took him to the vet and they said it would be better if he was put down (we didn't actually do it though, we let him die naturally).

Then again he could just be sick and he'll be fine.

• You're 18-24. Take him to the vet yourself. Money shouldn't be an issue, especially if he might be in pain. If you love him, you'll let him go if his quality of life is less than good. Love isn't selfish.

• I'm barely 18 and a full time student... I don't have a job right now therefore no money? I can't take him to the vet myself.