How’s this guitar technique called INXS, The Fixx and other new-wave bands were using?

I like this guitar technique they use in songs like “Original Sin” by INXS or “One Thing Leads To Another” by The Fixx. It was actually used in many new-wave songs. How’s it officialy called? It has a choppy “cutting” sound.

Most Helpful Guy

• not sure what it is but you are right it is in a lot of 80s new wave from Prince to Talking Heads.

don't know if there is a technical name for it. doesn't quite sound like palm muting. it's more of a staccato rhythm possibly derivative from Ska and Reggae music

• Prince new-wave? he was R 'n' B mostly wasn't he?

• huh... never knew this. in which song he did?

• again according to my teacher... not me... songs like Whole Lotta Lovin he used as examples of him rapping. Again I think he just really REALLY loved Zeppelin

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

• It's a muted strumming, right? Like in the verses of 'Where The Streets Have No Name' by U2? I always thought of it as 'scratching'.

• If you still haven't found out by tonight let me know - I can text my mate who is a guitarist and he would be off work by then.

• thought it was "palm mute" but not 100% sure

• I'm at work right now so I can't listen to those songs, but when you say choppy cutting sound, that sounds like it might be palm muting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_mute

• Palm muting, it sounds way too awesome for such a simple technique. Hehe.

• Oh, no. The other guy is right, they are dead notes. It's the same principle though. Instead of muting the notes with your picking hand you mute them with your fretting hand.