Do you think raising the minimum wage is a good idea or bad idea?

Since it seems to be going up a lot over the US, think this will be good or bad in the long run?

• I think it's a good idea
  • I think its a bad idea

Most Helpful Girl

• Absolutely not, and to suggest it be done violates the notion of common sense and living in reality. A few posters backed up the no-raise argument well so all I have to add is that, super-simplified, both sides agree on this:

Where does payroll money come from? The business employer.
    ->Where does the business's money come from? Selling goods & service.
    ->Who buys goods & services? Consumers.
    ->Where does consumer's money come from? The business employer.

This is where the schism occurs as two conclusions can be drawn:
    1) "Therefore, consumers with more money means more money for businesses. Businesses benefit, so they should bear the disadvantage (min. wage raise)."
    2) "Therefore, businesses with more money means more money for consumers. Consumers benefit, so they should bear the disadvantage (no min. wage raise)."

How do we know that 2) is the logical conclusion when both are integral for each other's existence? Because only one of these entities are finite: business.

Consumers, or demand, will always be present and always need to be fulfilled (via income). The fact that businesses are NOT eternal renders the "business-by-consumer" dependency inferior by comparison, because if there is no business, THIS POSTULATE CEASES TO EXIST.

Ultimately, consumers are dependent on BUSINESS because they are forced to continue consuming should no business (income, ie: means to purchase) be available. And we all know the abject poverty, depravity, and misery that ensues when this happens.

What Girls Said 12

• I'm against anything that makes it more difficult for business to stay in the black: raising minimum wage, raising corporate taxes, extreme unreasonable regulations (most of the EPA.)
    I'm a full-hearted believer in competition. Without competition there is no incentive to work towards progess causing society to become stagnant. Being obsessed about keeping everyone equal and shunning them for succeeding is anti-competition. Raising minimum wage is a part of that madness. If you want more money, you work your ass off for it, you don't beg until someone feels sorry for you and makes a law so that a hard working business-owner has to pay you more while he is getting the same amount of work out of you. All that does is makes his profits go down and keeps him from being able to invest in expanding his business and creating jobs for more employees. Anti-progress.

• Last time I checked reality, humans had a lot of other possible motivators than competition...

• Humans, yes. Businesses, no. By their nature, they exist to create profit and die if they do not. Reality check, indeed.

• You are 100% correct and are so followed. You have no idea how happy it makes me to see users responding with common sense. There is a shortage of that, as of late.

• They'll raise the minimum wage. But don't worry that means they'll eventually have to raise the price for skilled workers. And eventually they'll raise the price of goods and services.
    I don't get why people are so concerned. When my dad started working minimum wage was about $1.20 and not it's about 8.50 where we live. Raising the minimum when did not mean the world would crash or the economy would crumble down. And look higher paying jobs make significantly more still so people need to calm down.

• I liked your comment after reading your first sentence but the rest of your statement contradicts it because you kind of answer yourself, like you're having a one-part conversation:

"I don't get why people are so concerned!" "Because they'll eventually have to raise the price for skilled workers and goods & services..."

• Oh, man. Yes, I get it and got it from the get go. I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that you had actually correctly identified the problem yet somehow concluded that said problem was a non-issue. I figured that couldn't be it, no way, I had to have missed something! Buuuuut I didn't. Mind. BLOWN.

Again, now: if you're not worried that your goverment and current society at large thinks re-upping the minimum wage every decade or so is the solution to keeping up with inflation (hint: it CAUSES inflation), then we have fundamentally different outlooks on, well... Everything.

• @theccanyon but does inflammation really matter if we can all still afford to like that way. Unflinching only really hurts when it becomes to high that people don't have enough money to live that way. But if te prices are always coinciding with one another then it really shouldn't matter.
      I think they should bring back the law that business owners can't make more than x300 their lower payed employee. It forces them to either pay their employees more or reinvest more money back into the company

• Bad idea, @Toad-1, if it gets to the point of Going Over board, for it can cause an Immediate Economic collapse, which is Expected to come anyways in September 2015.
    Good luck. xx

• Can you please expand on that?

• "The dollar is nearly dead"? lol really? The dollar is the strongest currency in the world. In fact it's strength is actually hurting international American companies due to the exchange rate.
      www.marketwatch.com/.../the-unseen-downside-of-strength-in-the-dollar-2015-04-08

The economy is going to collapse in Sept 2015? and the cause of this collapse will be?

• lol... Don't laugh, @oo1oo1oo1oo, Obviously you have Not Read that this economy is ready to Collapse with It..

• 1) It needs to keep up with inflation.
    2) Even people who work crappy basic jobs like I do need more than just enough money to pay for gas, especially if they're expected to get a degree. As it is, all of the money in my savings account is just enough to pay for half of the yearly tuition of he college I'm going to, and it's just barely a step above community college. And trust me, I've been trying to find better paying jobs, but they almost all require a degree or one or more years of experience in their field. I can't get experience unless I have a degree, and I can't get a degree unless I have a better paying job, but I can't get that better paying job unless I get experience... I think you get the picture.

• I voted NO, with that said raising it to $15-20 like the Lib Dems want is crazy, here's why. If you make $12 and hour now and it is bumped to $17 that means you too need a bump, to equal the new wage, if you were earning $4-5 above the old minimum you now have to earn $22, greet news if you just got a $10 an hour increase. BUT where does that wage come from, consumers like you and me visiting your store, or buying your product. If a company of small business owner has to pay higher wages their profit falls, and what will they do to off set that , you guessed it, increase their prices. So, let's make it easy, that $3 cup of coffee will now cost $5.50 that $25 shirt will now cost $39, so increasing the wages might appear to be a great idea, it will kill small business. And increase costs for the little guy.

• So followed. I'm glad to see you live in the States; we need more people with your mindset to offset the destructive future the US is gleefully careening off to.

• its a good idea becuase the cost of living is higher. gotta eat/get gas/pay for housing...

• If you raise the minimum wage, Gas/food/housing companies etc will think ''Oh, People have more money now, We need to raise our prices'', And the cycle will just go on and on and on.
      Thats what happened to Germany after WW1 in its hyperinflation, In the space of a few years, You it went from costing like 10 'Marks' for a loaf of bread to '6,000,000,000' Marks for a loaf of bread.
      Increasing money will only increase costs.

• He's also an intorvert and says communicating isn't easy for him sometimes. I've never had a problem with that unless it's with important things. We've talked in the past and I've said talking things out helps, but he feels like I don't talk to him when I'm upset.

• My theory and several others that I've spoken with on this topic, is that if minimum wage is raised it will cause other prices to raise.
    For example, Wal-Mart has to pay their employees more, so in order to continue making a sizable profit Wal-Mart may raise the prices of their products. Which kind of defeats the purpose of getting paid more if everything costs more.
    But that's my theory and I could be wrong of course.

• I don't know how high it is at present, but it should be such that you can lead a normal life with it (which means renting something small and be able to eat normal) but no excesses possible.

• Increases wages is just going to increase prices

• I don't know, you can't win in this

• If minimum wage goes up, then so does the cost of living.

What Guys Said 22

• Hmmm...

Money is subjective. If you raise the minimum wage, prices across the country will raise.

Example: It won't matter if you get a 2 dollar raise, if the price of gas will also go up by two dollars.

That extra money that people are getting HAS to come from somewhere, and if there's anything I learned about human beings and the economy, it sure as hell is gonna find a way to come back around full circle. It always does.

• When will you people learn that your actions have consequences.

RAISING THE MINIMUM WAGE ELIMATES POSSIBLE JOBS. Companies CANNOT afford to pay the same amount of employies, so they must lay people off. Its been happening in Seattle since they raised their minimum wage and its only getting worse!

• People at the bottom of pile need to be protected

• Its not enough to just raise it unless you tie it to cost of living. Otherwise inflation will just pass it up again. Ford put it best when he paid his workers well over the standard wage, he said "if I don't pay well, who will buy my cars?"

• Locally raising the minimum wage is a mostly good idea. Raising the national minimum wage is not because it would cause inflation.

• The cost of living is rising, wages are not. Society needs people to work in stores, clean the streets, collect garbage, serve food. This does not mean they should live in poverty.

• Raising of minimum wage will increase everyones salary not just those working for minimum wage. Personally i think it would be a good idea mainly because im making a pretty good salary for my age and i couldn't imagine trying to live on less than $10 an hour.

• living on less than $10/hourly is pretty fucking impossible. agreed.

• It really is... i literally would only be able to pay my Rent and less than $150 for food for the whole month lol.

• Yes if we make it so you can be successful by working again then stop giving out so many hand-outs maybe people will stop making a career out of having welfare babies or having back pain. I mean I have a great job but most people are stuck working for companies and struggle to make it from paycheck to paycheck.

• It's okay if it's raised to like $10-$11 an hour. Any more than that is stupid and disadvantages everyone. The main thing we should do is just make sure serving staff get paid an actual wage so that they don't rely on tips.

• Even if they did it still wouldn't make a difference cause than they would make everything for expensive to even out the playing field in the economy.

• The cost of living will just rise accordingly, it's all the same. The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer...

• Well I think when workers get money they will be able to consume more products and ergo it will cause markets to flourish more maybe but then again it might cause problems due to businesses needing more money to pay them and they might hesitate more to get workers causing more unemployment

Other countries in the world have a higher minimum wage than USA Like UK and Scandinavian countries and they are doing just fine

• Then the cost of living will go up as well unfortunately it never ends sadly

• Hell no, company's can't afford to raise minimum wage while maintaining the same number of jobs. Higher wages ='s less jobs. I mean look what happened to the manufacturing industry. It was destroyed by having a minimum wage.

• It needs to follow inflation

• Government can collect more taxes from higher wages and people can now make careers as Fry masters making French fries.

• Min wage hasn't gone up before in a long time but inflation has

• Yes because some people can't even survive on it...

• Good idea that means the average becomes higher too.

• Why should a burger flipper receive the same pay as an accounts payable clerk?

• Until we disband the Federal Reserve (and good luck with THAT), "minimum wage" is meaningless. They will just use inflation to keep things where they are.

• Although the real minimum wage is zero, we should make it illegal to pay anybody less than $100 an hour. Everybody would be better off! If you disagree, you're racist and hate the poor!