What it's like to be a veteran? Do you think veterans are heroes?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a veteran. I think the auto-respect we get is silly. It's basically the same as a normal job but with a weird dress code, much longer hours, and less pay.

It's all a trick, really. As long as everyone is squabbling over who can blow the most sunshine up the "troops" ass, no one is considering what they are used for: greedy people needing international muscle and greedy military contractors wanting a guaranteed customer they can sell overpriced goods and services to.

• Interesting perspective! I will never forget watching Patrick Miller on the news when they showed the footage of the five POWs in Iraq in 2003 and when he was point blank asked why he was there to kill Iraqis, he was noticeably scared. Now - I don't want to take anything away from the guy's bravery for what he had done, and I'm sure anyone is his situation would have peed their pants and said the same thing. But really, the soldier, is no more afraid of fighting than other people would be.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEy3ApB-NNE
      Start watching him at 3:45
      His exact words are: "I just follow orders." "No, I come to fix broke stuff. I told to shoot only if I'm shot at and they shot at me first, so I shoot back. I don't want to be here."
      It doesn't sound so brave, really. But I've got to give the guy credit for being part of the military, knowing he would be putting his life on the line after being deployed.

What Guys Said 6

• Heroes? Depends.
    In wars like WW2 where it was litteraly country vs. country in an effort to protect your people from occupation, then yes, Soldiers are heroes (Even the German army).
    In modern day wars where Britain and America plunder the middle east for Oil, No, Those soldiers are not 'Heroes', They are pawns of the governments interests.

And dont think i am some Anti-Middle eastern war person, I actually want to join the Army when im 18 xD.

• What does the British army do?

• But you say you don't like the US army, then go around and do the same thing?

• I never said i don't like the US / UK army's, I mean, Yes, The things that they are doing are not good, and they are not heroes, But id still want to join them.
      Basically right now, The only wars the US / UK are involved in, Are ones where we can invade middle eastern countries and steal their oil, thats why we have both been in afghanistan/iraq for the past few decades the whole ''war on terror'' and ''freedom'' is a load of bulshit, Its for Oil and nothing else.
      Would i be willing to fight for that cause? sure..
      Simple fact of the matter is, No, Our troops are not heroes fighting a glorious battle for our freedom, They are fighting a savage and brutal war for Oil, And like it or not, the US and UK NEED oil. And this is the best way to get it.
      Without that oil, What would power our cars and give us electricity?
      Do i agree with the morales of the war? No. We are killing people to steal their oil. But the simple fact is, We have no choice, We need to steal their oil.

• They deserve respect.

• My great uncle is a veteran of WW2.. I don't consider them heroes because heroes for me are the ones who did something extraordinary feat. Not all soldiers are that and joining the military and retiring doesn't necessarily mean a hero.

• No, heroism has a pretty high bar.

• Depends what kind of veteran

• Not a hero just for being in the services, that devalues the word. A hero is someone exceptional.

What Girls Said 2

• They put themselves out there to be potentially killed. It doesn't matter if they worked as a cook or a front line soldier. They offered their lives to serve their country and they were all brave to do so. Whether or not they actually did serve in combat is irrelevant to me because they wouldn't have known if they had to or not if the moment was required that they had to.

One of my first cousins is a fighter pilot and for over ten years was reminded that at any time he could have been called on in combat. He was ready. He thankfully never had to, and now he teaches other pilots in Italy. The fact that he was ready and willing to made me respect him. He will soon be a veteran because he started his career at the age of 19 and is nearly retirement already in his early 40s! Hard to believe.

• I'm not a veteran but a lot of my family members are and yes, I think they're hereos