For those who have English as their native language! Do you realize that people who doesn't speak English perfectly speak another language?

Most Helpful Girl

• Most people whose mother tongue is English don't speak it properly either.

However, there is an expectation that one should speak a language well enough to be understood. It's usually easier to do this face to face (as speaking is the most direct form of communication).

What Girls Said 3

• English is not my first language, but I like to think I have it licked.

When I'm online I can spot when people have made innocent typos, or if they show that English is not their first language. I can also tell when someone is a native-English speaker, using the English they learned in the 2nd grade, yet never bothered to progress any further.

• I understand. Accents are wonderful and different. And I have no issues with someone communicating with me, even in broken English, because 1) I'm not an ass and 2) I don't speak a second language.

• To be blunt, not if they look like a red neck.

What Guys Said 9

• lemme show u an old question of mine, and my thoughts about it... read it if u got some time:

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1527514-do-you-believe-non-english-speakers-should-be-taught-english-in

• Indeed learning englsh is very important but don't think it should be instead of the native language

• yeah but i believe world would be better if this happened... but u'll ask me y english? coz everybody knows English by some degree. if someone wants to move out of his/her country then his/her options r more limited coz of this language barrier

• I wish my education had been better, don't feel good enough in English to go live and work abroad but woud like too

• Yeah I get that. But I wouldn't move to a country unless I knew the native language. so when people in the USA dont speak English, it kinda pisses me off

if they know enough to function and do basic communication without holding other up people much, then yeah I get that they know a different language and that it's hard. At least they're trying to "conform" to the McDonalized social/economic process.

it's usually when someone isn't even trying to live in USA but theyre in the USA that gets me

• Well, in my case no one notices that I English is not my first language.
    Everybody is always like " I wouldn't have even guessed that English isn't your first language " and other remarks.

But I suspect that knowing German and understanding how you express yourself in it makes your English appear more articulate than native English speakers' .
    It isn't the language of great writers like Goethe or Schiller without a reason. ^^

• People who don't* speak English perfectly. I am not a native English speaker.

• Good point

• I am not a native English speaker, My Dutch is perfect, my French nearly.

• Usually, depending on the flaw. There are some language errors that are regional and others that show a lack of proper education, but most mistakes that non native speakers use show that they speak another language.

• English isn't my native but to be frank I suck hairy ballzz at my native and other languages i can speak.

• I do notice grammatical errors. And I am not native English.