Do you think it’s rude when custodian staff cleans the kitchen when students are trying to cook?

I live on a floor of my dorm with about fifty other students. We all share a communal kitchen. The kitchen is normally empty in the morning because a lot of people skip breakfast, but it gets very crowded in the afternoon and evening because everyone is trying to make lunch and dinner.

The custodian who cleans the kitchen starts cleaning it when it is very crowded. Today, there were fourteen of us trying to make lunch when the custodian began sweeping, mopping the floor, washing counters, washing the sink, wiping down the stove, etc. A couple students were irritated because the custodian kept asking them to move their dishes around so she could clean and the kitchen was very crowded, so there wasn’t a lot of other places to put them and sometimes they just had to hold them until she was done. They complained that they had to get to work soon and the custodian was making it difficult for them to finish cooking. They also complained that she was sweeping between their feet and turning the floor into a slipping slide. These students gave the custodian annoyed looks.

I see why they’re irritated, but I am also grateful that the custodian cleans our kitchen. Since she cleans the kitchen every day, I’m not sure these students are justified in expressing their irritation and giving the custodian irritated looks. What do you think about this matter? Do you think it’s rude when the custodian cleans the kitchen when students are trying to cook?

• No, the students are not justified in feeling irritated.
  • Yes, the students are justified in feeling irritated.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think the custodian is rude, I just think they are not cleaning it at the right time. They should be cleaning it during non-lunch or super times. This is just common sense. The thing is, they have a job to do and it needs to be done. Who knows what their schedule is like. I am sure there is some kind of building or site manager there. Perhaps you can speak with who ever is in charge and voice your issue about the cleaning schedule and see if the kitchen could be cleaned out later in the afternoon or something.

What Guys Said 2

• It's rude to clean near where anyone is eating, ever. I was at Arbys the other day and the worker came right next to the table I was eating at and she just started cleaning and I could taste the cleaner spray in my mouth. Fuck.

• Surely they can arrange to clean outside mealtimes.

What Girls Said 3

• The custodian probably shouldn't be cleaning during a time of heavy traffic in the kitchen (such as meal times), however, those students need to realize that she's just doing her job. She probably doesn't decide herself what to clean and at what times to clean, that's probably not her decision. If those students have a problem with it, they should take it up with her manager, I'm sure they can get that information by asking her directly.

• I can kind of see where they are coming from, but they have to realize that cleaning that one kitchen isn't this lady's only job. She can't work her cleaning around everyone's schedule. And besides, even if they were just in their reactions, I think they would have to talk to the people who run student accommodations. I'm sure that they tell her what to do and what time to do it. She's just doing her job.

• The students want to complain to the housing office because today wasn't the first time she's done it. Since I was there, they want me to go with them, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing so.

• Someone cleans up your mess everyday? They're lucky. Just like them this is her job and she's probably eem cleaning all day so she can't really just bend things around to cater to one specific group of people. They either need to make food earlier or get used to cleaning their own stuff.