When people turn 18 do they become more mature?

Most Helpful Guy

• No in my experience they lose every bit of common sense and maturity they had acquired because they're 18 now and think because they're legally an adult they can do whatever they want, consequences be damned.

What Guys Said 16

• No. There is no magical, or biological mechanism that makes people become mature with age. The truth is maturity is not a result of age, but of introspection and self reflection. Learning from your mistakes, and realizing how your actions affect other people. I know people in their 30's who you would mistake for people in High School. They simply refuse to realize their mistakes, and accept how their actions affect other people.

• No, time does not effect mental maturity. There are 50 year olds who are just as mature as 18 year olds, and 10 year olds who are more mature then 50 year olds. It depends on life experiences and the response to them, that dictates maturity.

• You know, this legal age thing makes us think that people magically chance when they get to the age of 18. Actually it's the biggest lie in the world, there are minors much more mature than 18 year old people and 18 year old people much more mature than older people. It depends on the person, not on its age.

• Nope lol, maturity is not defined by age.

• Not automatically, but in America that is the age that the "child pass" for idiocy is revoked.

• Maturity is a process and can be gained only by personal experience, it has nothing to do with age.

Also, being mature has nothing to do with personality, even if someone acts like a clown most of the time. Maturity is measured by the decisions you make in your life, and your reaction towards certain circumstances that may affect your life as well.

• I've seen dudes in their late 20's early 30's who act really macho at bars wanting to pick a fight and keep saying "bro! you wanna go bro?" No some people are little twats their whole lives.

• Not necessarily. People in their 30s and 40s can be immature. Just because people are a certain age, doesn't make them mature automatically or by default.

• Nope. Maturity just doesn't happen all of a sudden when people reach 18..

• Why should they it is just a number and has not a lot to do with a person's maturity

• Haha depends on the person no age makea someone magically mature.

• Not even once...

• no I don't know so

• You don't magically become mature. It's usually the age for mature movies and for drinking and such because most people are mean to be mature enough to handle it by that time, that's the thinking anyway. People don't magically become able to consume alcohol or immune to it's harmful effects once they reach drinking age. People don't magically become attractive as soon as they hit the age of consent, they were (or weren't) attractive already and continued to be after they pass that age. Different countries have different drinking ages and ages of consent and age restrictions on mature content so explain that. :P

In short, no you don't, it literally doesn't mean a thing other than another year on a calender.

• no haha why do you ask

• No, I see some people even still childish even they are over 18 years old.

What Girls Said 18

• Not really. I only think I *matured* a lot when I got to uni and had to be away from home. Don't get me wrong in high school I thought I was very mature for my age just like most people seem to think but I realize now I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did. I know I still have a long way to go as well.

• From my own personal experiences i would say that while i've always been logical and smart, stressful situations affected my reasoning when i was a teenager. I did a lot of dumb things to be accepted by my peers, i did smart things in terms of studying because i wanted my parents off my back etc.. But since i got out of high school (which was probably the most stressful, cause you haven't figured out what you're feeling) i found the stress was easier to handle or like i was getting better and better at being myself and not letting other people impact me so much.
    Looking it up i found this:

THE ADOLESCENT BRAIN -- WHY TEENAGERS THINK AND ACT DIFFERENTLY--

www.edinformatics.com/news/teenage_brains.htm

• Age doesn't seem to have much to do with maturity. A lot of times maturity seems to come with added responsibility, relationships, work; though those things and whatever else tent to help a person mature don't work 100% of the time either. I know a few people in law enforcement who seem to exhibit a great deal of maturity when they are at work but when off duty seem not so mature at times!!

• When I turned 18 three months ago, I didn't feel any difference. So, nope, not really.

• No... I wouldn't say they become wiser over night. But there's this similar phenomenon when you turn 25. It doesn't exactly happen over night but during the year leading to your 25th birthday, you do a lot of growing up.

• age has nothing to do when it comes to maturity

• Hell nah. Just because you're legally an adult, you're still a kid to me.

• No my order sisters are over 18 and act way worse than me lol😊

• Not inherently. One might argue that they're forced to become more mature shortly after turning 18, because they're bombarded all of a sudden with insurance, taxes, jobs, loans etc.

• No they don't. Some still act like they are 15.

• Some people are in they're 30s and have yet to mature. It's not about age. But the older one gets the more experience they gain in life.

• True but the female brain matures around 18 men don't mature till 22-24.

• The brain physically matures. For someone to be mentally mature I believe is a different case.

• Wait nvm. i thought you were talkin about age 25.

• It has nothing to do with age, lol. I'm 23, but I'm still not mature xD

• lol some people never change

• I'll let you know next year hahaha :")

• Nah, it's just a number.

• mature is about choice, not about age. i found some people even they are older than 50 they still childish.

• I'm 25 and still not mature lol

• it really depends on an individual basis.
    Some people go through experiences that obligate them to grow up and deal with the world as adults