What do you think of China?

Do you like it? Have ever been there before?

Most Helpful Guy

• as an economic power, i think China has been making both brilliant calls, and not so brilliant calls. Amongst their good calls is their decision to challenge the U. S. in Africa, not militarily, but economically by making investment deals into African raw resources... buying up mines and raw materials with the wealth they've gained in U. S. Treasury bonds. Alongside their African investments, they've been heavily investing in Europe as well, particularly european companies/assets that act as a better store of value than U. S. currency over the long term. They also made a smart play back as early as 2001 to start buying gold and convincing their citizens to buy gold as a hedge against U. S. dollar devaluation, a play which they still prepare for to this day (and rightfully so imo). Their not so great calls however include their micromanagement of the housing sector, which has created the most enormous bubble in real estate that the world has ever seen. They've got ghost cities the size of American states where all they do is build empty apartments as a means of boosting their GDP numbers, but in actuality the things they're building aren't actually being used by anyone, so much of their growth is somewhat fictional. There are other problems too, like their shadow banking sector which may have a lot more debt than they let on.

Culturally, i think China is quite interesting. They have thousands of years of history, much of it im not super familiar with, but modern day china still remains as a rich cultural hub, especially in parts of the old country where modernism hasn't fully caught up yet. Many of the people there are experiencing what it means to live a middle class lifestyle for the first time, and are putting their new wealth to good use.

Politically, i still think China is a bit of a mess. There's very little semblance of democracy there, and the whole country of 1 billion+ people s controlled by a few hundred of the most wealthy individuals on the planet, and their power has huge influence in the politburo. I think this is a very bad thing, and will likely change as more chinese get richer and are able to witness the political freedoms that the outside world enjoys

In short, china is a country i would definitely like to visit, and its been at the top of my list for many years. But its definitely not a place that i would really want to call home... at least not in its current state

What Girls Said 3

• Never been. Seems like an interesting place. I would like to go some day.

• I've been there a couple of times. They have some of the world's most beautiful sights and are very rich in their history and culture. Also, the food is good (if you enjoy Chinese food). However, I wouldn't want to live there.

What Guys Said 5

• I was there in 2009. Loved it.

• yes , i am totally obsessed with their history
    not yet , may be someday

• I like China, She is my neighbor.

• The chinese government is a bunch of fucking idiots. they encouraged people to invest in their stock market and let them barrow money to do it, creating a bubble in the process and now that bubble has burst. who the fuck knows what will happen from there.

• Largest producer of cheap crap. Quantity over quality.