Why do people go onto Facebook posting depression statuses expecting people to like them?

a lot of the people who post on Facebook on my friends list post such depressing things its ridiculous. For example a few girls I'm friends with posted "every time I get I to a relationship I end up crying in my bed eating ice cream after they break up with me". Am I expected to like a post like that? It's depressing and another girl I know posted "I'm too pissed off with now to deal with people." I never post on Facebook and for even good things let alone bad ones lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• Omg same I find it kind of a buzz kill and really annoying. .. you had a bad day? Deal with it do the post some cheesy depressing line and get everybody else depressed.

• I find it annoying when im close friends with a girl acting like that and I'll text her asking if she's OK and she just says I'm fine. If you post that you want to stimulate a reaction and have people comment so if they need to talk I'll listen but its a cry for attention.

• Right cause then they actually have a real issue one time and its like not this crap again.

• I'm a really sensitive person so I'd feel really guilty if I didn't text them even though it's a higher probability of them posting a depressing line just for the sake of posting.

What Girls Said 5

• Sometimes "liking" a post means you've been through the same experience and agree with them.

It doesn't mean... good for you !!! that's what happens!!

• LOL it reminds me of this Family Guy episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehahLgIZjgY

• It's attention seeking. I'm friends with a girl I went to high school with and every month she'll post about her father who's been dead for 10 years.

It wouldn't bother me if she didn't post SEVERAL pictures she had someone else take of her posing with his grave, and use filters and who knows how many other edits to make it a hipster shot. It just seems like she's using her father for Facebook likes.

• Lol I know right...
    But people use facebook to share all there personal information lol... Like what you said " its depressing"... But I guess people use facebook like if its a book to write about life.. The good and bad,..

• I mean my life has points where I'm mad at everyone but I drink a few beer to relax. I dknt go on Facebook and say someone ruined my life. Hell I cried myself to sleep when my girlfriend of 4 years cheated on me but I never gave her the satisfaction of knowing she hurt me or I care. By putting it in Facebook.

• Well, thanks for acting with such negativity towards us, I honestly find that personally insulting. I post stuff like that because I hope that people will notice me enough to see the post and show that they acknowledge me, and stop ignoring me. It's a cry for help, for someone to come and help them and acknowledge them. Whenever people post stuff like that, it's because it's easier for them to post that stuff and hope someone sees it and goes to help them, instead of them going to find help themselves. That's why you hear when people get depressed, they're too scared to seek help, that's why. They send out silent cries for help like this, because they're too scared to go to a professional or someone like that, because unless you've gone through depression before, you won't understand how it feels. When I was depressed, all I ever saw in the eyes of my family and friends was a look of disappointment, so I was too scared to tell anyone about what I was going through; I ended up nearly killing myself from it. I got help, and I'm better now, but when you're depressed, it doesn't matter if people say they can help you, you don't believe it. You see what your heart and eyes show you, disappointment, anger, and more, never anything that boosts your confidence. I don't know about others, but this is how I felt, and this is what I believe.

• That's fair but when someone posts that and I text her seeing ifnsje need to talk and all I get back is I'm fine. Why post it? I reached out and showed general concern.

• As I said before, it's a cry for comfort or help.

• Well let me help then when tell a girl I'm friends with to talk and I'm here to listen hug her and be there. I'm a kind soul but when she's silent I can't really do anything.

What Guys Said 2

• Most people use facebook to vent

• Yes. This is something that i really dislike?