My wife is pregnant. Which of these names sound best for my daughter? I want a name that is sophisticated and interesting?

Out of Elizabeth Theodora and Athena which sounds best.

• Elizabeth.
  • Theodora.
  • Athena.
Thank you all for the advice but I am still undecided. But I got another 7 months.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm going against Athena because you can't do much with the name for shortening it, or using nicknames. Kids are cruel, they could shorten her name to "Ath" which sounds like ass with a lisp. I'm just thinking ahead for you. I was given a terrible name from my parents who didn't consider schoolyard teasing. Also, given the meaning of the Greek goddess and what she stood for, if she doesn't live up to her name for being the warrior goddess she was, that can also be something she might learn to live with and wonder about when she gets to learn who Athena was. You may want her to be a strong, beautiful little goddess - but what if she isn't interested later on? What if she just wants to be a little tomboy?

I think if you choose Elizabeth she has so many options to go by Liz, Beth, Betty, Eliza, Lizbeth, Ellie, that she can never grow tired of her name. What ever personality she takes on in life, if it suits her she can pull a name derived from her full name that she can choose without changing what you originally named her. Plus the full name Elizabeth is so classic. These days unique because no one is naming their daughters this as much now.

Theodora is lovely too since I think the shortening of it to "Dora" is cute.

You seem to like that "th" sound in names. Think of how easy a name will be for others to say. If other kids such as young cousins can't get their tongues around the syllables then you'll be in for made-up nicknames based on their capabilities of saying the name. My pick is in the order you gave them, Elizabeth first, Theodora second, and Athena last.

And consider her initials. If you give her the one name and use the other as a middle name, think of how it might sound if run together like a word or if the initials already stand for something else (if you Google it).

What Girls Said 32

• Elizabeth, common respectable name. Plenty of nick names which also compliment the name. Easy to find novelty items with that name on them. No one is confused on how to spell it or pronounce it.

Ultimately, both you and your wife should decide together or perhaps ask people closer to you in your life especially if the names have some deeper meaning behind them that we are unaware of. Just don't worry about a trend or trying to sound cool because it may be for a moment, but 10 years down the road, it may not be.

• Athena is nice - but she could be bullied. Theodora... just... she will absolutely be bullied so that's a no. Elizabeth is a popular name but it does fit both criteria you're going for.

• Elizabeth sounds great. I'm a Classics student, so I study ancient Greek culture so obviously I have a soft spot for Athena but some people might not like you naming your daughter that or other kids might make fun of her. Don't go for Theodora.

• What's wrong with Theodora?

• Theodora is way too old fashioned, chances are that she's going to get bullied for it nowadays because it's just very stuffy. If you like it, go for it, I just personally wouldn't do that.

• Thank you for the advice.

• Athena is beautiful, cultured and unique. Elizabeth is nice as well but too common and not as pretty sounding as Athena.

• what does your wife like?
    thats the most important vote :)
    and you guys might change your minds when it gets closer to the due date. haha!

• We both like all three names.

• Athena is a brilliant name for a little girl! :)

• Athena is very different but she might be bullied. Elizabeth is the most common name ever. Theodora is something a grandmother would be called.

However, I like Athena best out of these options.

• Definitely Athena! Elizabeth is wayyyyyyy too common. I'm so tired of hearing it. Theodora is horrible! I take it your name is Theo? That's the only reason to justify naming a girl Theodora. Sounds like an old hag's name. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, rude or offend you. I apologize in advance if I did.

• Eliazabeth is the best when it comes to nickname options. She could decide to call herself: belle, Elle, Beth, eliz, Betty, the list goes on.

• Athena is alright, but a bit too different in my opinion. Elizabeth is beautiful, and great if you want something a bit more classical - which is my personal preference.
    But you said you'd like something interesting: I'd go with Theodora. I have 2 friends called Theodora and they love it. It's strong yet elegant, original yet classic. It stands out without standing out too much.

• Theodora sounds like a Chipmunk
    Athena sounds like a medical instrument you insert up something.
    Elizabeth is a nice name. It can be shorthand to Izzy or Lizzy which are both cute

• go with the goddess of war

• i like athena.. it is unique

• You might change your mind as you get closer! My parents were set on Madision or Kylee and when I popped out they chose Caitlin so.. 😊😂. If you are set on those three though then I would go with Elizabeth, my best friends name is Elizabeth and we call her Liza.

• I like lily, so elizabeth

• Athena is perfect. Elizabeth is reallly common, meybe you could change the spelling a bit? Like Elisabeth?

• I think Elizabeth it's a beautiful name and it sounds classy. So, it's my choice.

• ELIZA
    Filler

• of those, elizabeth

• Athena is majestic.

• Athena sounds the best out of the three names.

• i wouldve liked being called Elizabeth but my parent opted for Diane instead

• Elisabeth and Theodora are stuffy af

• Athena sounds nice but I also love the name Briar Rose.

• Athena the name of the Goddess :)

• Athena is most unique. Elizabeth is pretty common and Theodora doesn't sound that nice.

• Athena Nike of Samothrace!!!

• Athena definitely! Very different

• why not names like:

A. Verena
    B. Raven
    C. Brookelle
    D. Ivy

• Definitely Elizabeth I don't like the other two.

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 21

• Okay, you have to go with Athena. Then if she has a daughter, the kid can go, "My name is Annabeth, daughter of Athena.."

1.bp.blogspot.com/.../...ase-21593032-1920-816.jpg

• Elizabeth makes me think of the Queen :
    www.cameroonjournal.com/.../...and-her-hats-12.jpg
    Theodora (Fedora) makes me think of this :
    41.media.tumblr.com/.../...0lMjtl1rfwfq9o1_500.jpg
    Athena makes me think of greece and its piece of shit economy :
    i.telegraph.co.uk/.../Greece_2296452b.jpg

I say Elizabeth. Beautiful name.

• While I really like Athena it was REALLY popular a few years ago, so down the line it may turn into an 'old person' name with her on the young end of it.
    Elizabeth is a nice classy one which offers lots of options for easy shortening if she wants (always good for a bit of youthul expression).
    Theodora is perhaps just too old fashioned.

• theodora is the name of Keith Richards daughter so I'd go with that since he's the man

• While Theodora would be nice and unique I'd have to step more towards the other options. Athena sounds kick-ass! But there might be some bullying towards it. Elizabeth is nice, but it's a bit generic for my taste. Congratulations, man! And good luck with the name!

• And you're already sure it's a girl?

Try Mireille, Livia, Clara or Helena maybe?
    Or Ariana?

• Between Elizabeth and Athena, I don't like Theodora.

• It doesn't matter if the last name doesn't fit the first name. But I like Athena and Elizabeth. Theodora sounds weird as a girls name.. probably cause I have a male friend named Theo.

So, Athena > Elizabeth >>>> Theodora :)

• I like Athena the best since it is a unique name and also the goddess of wisdom.
    Theodora is name that will most certainly result in bullying and Elizabeth is a very common name.

• Please don't name her Theodora...

• Unfortunately, we live in very unsophisticated times, so Athena and Theodora would almost certainly get your daughter made fun of. Elizabeth would be a safer bet. It's a shame, really, because I like Theodora a lot (it's Greek for "given by God").

• elizabeth is the name of my cousin, athena is a nice name and theodora the kid will be bullied from alvin and the chipmunks

• Athena is badass.
    She will be like:
    Guy: "Hey, my name's Josh, ¿what's yours?"
    She: "Athena. Goddess of wisdom and warfare, bitch"

• I voted Athena but may i suggest Cleopatra

• How about Waynetta it sufisticated... lmao

• Athenabethador?

• I've always liked Melissa

• Athena is lovely best name ever!!

• Whatever you choose, keep in mind this is a person who will have to put this name down on job applications, etc. for her entire life. I see too many people giving kids names that are cute for kids, but those kids have to carry that name as adults as well.

Had I been named something like "Cody," I'd be applying for a name change today.

• Sheediquaa

• you realise its 2015 right? not 1715?

• Sure sure he can name his kids "Neytiri" but why would anyone do that

• What's your point that it's 2015?

• im just saying, those names sound like they come out of the middle ages. your kid will be bullied.