Does drinking alcohol help you when you're sad?

Most Helpful Guy

• No it helps you make poor decisions and feel even worse

What Guys Said 16

• Not really. Alcohol never did much of anything for me except making me dizzy and sick. I don't really enjoy drinking or get anything out of it. I'll have a few drinks in social situations to fit in, otherwise I don't find much use in it.

• It's a depressant. It gives you the illusion of having no worries or cares but once the buzz goes away, you end up feeling worse than before. Then it just makes you want to drink again to make the hurt go away again, then you feel worse after it wears off (again) and so on and so forth. That's how you end up as a sad, poor, alcoholic.

• No alcohol can change ones mood ,, some can be real happy
    others real sad and some can even develop mental illness from it..

• It sure helps me, not everyone can do it.

• No alcohol is a depressant and will make the depression deeper.

• Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

• Intelligent people get more depressed - research shows.
    Alcohol kills the ability of the brain to think.
    Can see the correlation?

• It depends. Sometimes it makes it worse.

• Helps you feel more sad

• No, drink when your happy to celebrate being happy

• Never believe this saying. It doesn't.

• At first, then I just get more introspective and it gets downhill from there.

• Alcohol can numb pain, but it's no solution for dealing with the issue in the long run. I would not advise it.

• I dont drink alcohol !

• It depends entirely how much. A little, say one glass of wine or bottle of cider with a meal takes the edge off, yes. Much more than that and it will actually make things worse!

What Girls Said 10

• To a degree, yes. To a degree, no. I am an emotional drunk. If I'm really depressed I start crying uncontrollably. If I'm feeling okay, then I'm bouncing off the wall laughing hysterically.

• No it makes it worse and drink crying is terrible you feel like you're dying

• Drowns the sorrow, but it's only short term unforunately.

• It's suppose to ease the nerves or keep you warm in winter.

• too much of it , everyday just takes the depression to a deeper level that would be hard to get out of.

• No it makes it worse.

• It will numb your emotions, but that's not how people should deal with their problems. It won't solve anything, and in the end it will make it worse when you are hungover and sick all day.

• I used to do that. Drink whenever I was sad until I passed out. Not a way to go, try something more positive like excercise. Talking about it helps too...

• You're still sad, but you stop caring about not showing everyone that you're sad.

• Nah ;o It makes you even more depressed than you already are.

• For me no it makes me cry more or makes me angrier depending on what emotions I'm feeling at the time.