Islam is a religion of peace. Agree or disagree?

where do you fall on this statement?

• I agree, islam is a religion of peace
  • I disagree, Islam is not a religion of peace

Most Helpful Guy

• Stop lying to yourself believing that Islam is a religion of peace
    Islam is about war, conqueing and sex
    ISIS is your best example pf Islam
    Here is a video you must watch. The mna in the video is known as brother Rashid, a Morrocan former Muslim
    http://youtu.be/XnkPmeF3fSY

• no, wahhabism is

• But I am a Muslim and relgious and I try to follow it's orders exactly why toad cmon we so t order killing :(

• Are u serious? This guy got the MHO? wow... So u r saying Muslims r terrorists? ... Look in every single religion on this earth u can find terrorists... That does NOT mean that they r representing their religion... That doesn't mean that their religion orders them to, kill innocent people !!! Islam IS. A religion of peace and ISIS DO NOT represent Islam... They r sooooo far of showing how really Islam is... So before u guys say we r Terrorists and Islam is a religion of war and before believing every single stupid thing media says go and ask about Islam in mosques and try to read about it in order to know its real morals... And once again ISIS do not represent real Islam...

What Girls Said 23

• It is a religion that STRIVES for peace. Is the essence peace? No.
    Even though islam means peace, i dont believe it is the centre of the religion. If a religion can be so transformed by its fanatics then it must be kindled by something in order for peace to disappear entirely.

Islam im general is loving, but coexistence is something that needs work.

• I don't think any of the abrahamic religions are peace causing. They all have oceans of blood on their hands.

• yeah it is... it the the extremists who ruin everything for everyone.. and the wolfs who hide behind the name of religion to do bad things..

• As an assyrian Christian iraqi lady, our kind has been culled by them for centuries. it is true that all religions have the bad and the good but I have never met a more dishonest, violent group of people. Let one of them change religions and see what happens. Let one familys daughter have a romantic, sexual relationship and see what happens. Don't tell me that I shouldn't think like this.

• And furthermore, mohammed was a pedophile and when Muslims go to mecca, they stick their heads in some object that looks like a vagina.

• * known... And sorry if u found any other spelling mistakes! I was typing a bit fast 🙈😁

• And Iraq isn't the best place to see how Islam is... Lots of extreme people that think they r doing the right thing by violence or shiaa which aren't Muslims ! So yeah

• I Think every religion js a religion of peace. No religion would teach you ti fight and create war.

• Islam is a religion of peace. But it is not represented properly.

• I'd put you as MHO If it were me asking this question!

• FINALLY !!! someone that actually understands what's happening 👏👏 THANK YOU !! 😆👌

• Islam is a religion much like the rest of Abrahamic faiths. It the people and cultures that shape it. Much like any other faith. No mystery there

• It is in theory but often not in practice like basically every religion ever. Religion often gets twisted and sickos hide behind a facade of religion to do violent and hateful things. PLus I just can't get over the prophet marrying a 6 year old and having sex with her when she was 9 that is a nasty vile thing to preach to people.

• Whaaat? A prophet married a 6 y/o girl and had sex with her when she was 9? :o

• There is no excuse for it, she was a confused child who had no clue what was being done to her or why just like every other child bride. no excuse! and a real man only needs one wife! how selfish can you be to keep a bunch of women as your wives as if they are your flock of cattle. absolutely sick!!

• Islam is just as peaceful as Christianity. There are just a lot more Christians who cherry pick.

• From what I have come to know personally, I have to agree that it is a religion of peace.

• Agree. Anyone one who kills people in the name of Islam is not a real Muslim.

• i also watched the intelligence squared debate on islam a few months ago

i will just say that the islamic definition of 'peace' is very different from the layman's definition of 'peace.' the way islam manifest itself when its people form a majority (even a significant minority) is indicative of that.

• Ohh yeah. I killed a mosquito today:/

• Its the person, not the weapon.

Same rules apply.

Its the person, not the religion.

• Wasn't very peaceful back in Iran

• Iran is the worst place to judge Islam from..., lots of shiaas (which aren't real Muslims) and extreme people that in their opinion they r representing Islam right... ( in my opinion and no offense to anyone ) that's why it wasn't peaceful there !

• In not even going to try. Just wait until your death and you will know.

• look lets keep the religion and the people who claim themselves to be followers aside. these are two different distinctions!
    every religion regardless of who follows it teaches good things. so dont blame the religion blame the people!

• Ummm NO... it is definitely NOT a religion of peace.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
    _____________

The root word "taqiyya" means to protect against or conceal. As you might gather from the quotes above, the principle of al-Taqiyya is the Islamic justification for lying and deceiving. Al-Taqiyya is drawn explicitly from the words of Muhammad, and from the examples he and his successors set.

• 😭😭😭 isis aren't Muslims and taqiyya means to protect really U DON'T KNOW ARABIC AT ALL

• LOL, takkeya doesn't mean that. I speak Arabic LOL

• Funny, since there are endless sources which say it does.
      Also regardless of the word used, called it bob if you need to, there is a "term" which exist in the faith which tells them that lying to protect the religion is acceptable by the deity and is practiced by the faith.

• Because there threatened the u. s and want to continue to make war we want peace

• Every girl that disagree with this statement gets downvotes by the guys. How pathetic.

• Anyone that disagrees with the statement got a downvote 👏👏

• No religion promotes peace if you think them from the starters

• oh yeah totally because thats why thousands upon thousands of people have been murdered in history "in the name of god" because of religions like this, I'm not totally honing in on islam but religion in general

• Was the world war in the name of relgion? Was America invading Iraq in the name of relgion?

• @mesonfielde and little kids think that superman is real let them thunk what the thunk there's actually a verse about those people but I don't know how to write it in English

• @Omar5881 people that think Superman is real typically don't deface ancient ornaments and cut the hands of people off with swords and stuff. No I am not making that up.

What Guys Said 30

• Every muslim will tell you, any one who uses violence like terrorist, isn't a muslim. The koran strictly prohibits murder and views it as a major sin. But unfortunetly both sides have been politicising it and completely ignoring the majority of its practioners, and the majority of its history. They brought into the world some of the greatest intellectual acheivments in math, philosophy, and science and are now just because the past few decades (thanks to the cold war between russia and america devastating there countries) are viewed as backwards, uneducated, and violent.

• *Islam does not permit terrorism*

It's clearly mentioned in the Quran, [ whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors.] ( Quran 5:32)

[ God does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes. God loves just dealers.] (Quran, 60:8)

------
    Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said "Do not betray, do not be excessive, do not kill a newborn child." (Sahih Muslim #1731)

He also said "Whoever has killed a person having a treaty with the Muslims shall not smell the fragrance of Paradise, though its fragrance is found for a span of forty years" (sahih bukkari #3166)

The Prophet Muhammad used to prohibit soldiers from killing women and children ( sahih Bukhari #3015)

Also, the Prophet Muhammad has forbidden punishment with fire. ( Abu-Dawood #2675)

He once listed murder as the second of the major sins ( sahih Bukhari #6871)

and he even warned that on the Day of Judgment, "The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed" ( sahih Muslim #1678)

Muslims are even encouraged to be kind to animals and are forbidden to hurt them. Once the Prophet Muhammad said: "A woman was punished because she imprisoned a cat until it died. On account of this, she was doomed to Hell. While she imprisoned it, she did not give the cat food or drink, nor did she free it to eat the insects of the earth." ( sahih Muslim #2422)

He also said that a man gave a very thirsty dog a drink, so God forgave his sins for this action. The Prophet was asked, “Messenger of God, are we rewarded for kindness towards animals?” He said: "There is a reward for kindness to every living animal or human" ( sahih Muslim #2244)

Additionally, while taking the life of an animal for food, Muslims are commanded to do so in a manner that causes the least amount of fright and suffering possible. The Prophet Muhammad said: "When you slaughter an animal, do so in the best way. One should sharpen his knife to reduce the suffering of the animal" ( sahih Muslim #1955)

*islam allows freedom of belief*
    [ There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion] ( Quran2:256)

• Islam is a young faith. And a faith with a particularly violent holy book from a particularly unstable and violently expansionist part of the world.

Unfortunatly this all means that it doesn't have the same culture of "and we quietly ignore this part of the book" which most other western religions have, nore does it embrace nuenced and open discussion of the book as many older religions have... in essence it suffers from the fact it's going through it's Spanish inquisition phase, in a world which is multicultural and largely post-religion... and this post-religion attitude in the west also means there are plenty of potential converts willing to go and give their lives if that's all it takes to have meaning. (which is also why the rates of christian suicide bombing and fundamentalism have increased).

• Nah. Islam is a region of questionless obedience. A means to have people willingly let themselves be controlled by others. Women by men, men by the community, the community by the church. And the church wants as much power as they can get, which is why they are not secular.

• It's teachings are of peace and acceptance. Religion is a scapegoat for people to commit their atrocities. The terrorists that are beheading people are not very good at being Muslim.(I hope saying that doesn't get me killed...) People see something they want and know they have to do really shitty things to get it so they say it's for in the name of god when it really isn't for the religion at all.

• All religions are of peace.. even Satanism...

People always seem to forget that Christians waged 'holy wars' for some 200 years...

Crusade, Jihad- Same thing

• please people do t use the word jihad that's not called jihad the fighting jihad ended in the old days ISIS AREN'T ISLAM

• @Omar5881 I never said they were... or that this is true Jihad or anything form the real meaning, but that is how it perceived for us in the West often, and a good analogy for the many ignorant who voted Islam as being violent...

• Ahhh okie them

• Doesn't matter peace isn't possible people with no peace of mind (or in mind) can't understand peace, will never understand it and for that they loathe it, want to kill it, take John Lennon for example could of made a difference that scared people, now he's dead, George Harrison didn't get killed by did get stabbed by a mental patient who escaped , so weather Islam is peaceful or not doesn't matter because peaceful isn't possible in this world it's unattainable completely anyone who is high profiled and talks about and really means it dies so it's not worth bringing it up if you didn't know most people gave up the concept of peace in the 80s because most people know there's no use wishing for something that is not possible in this day and age maybe in the next century things will be different but I doubt it there'll always be people who are closer to our animal ancestors than to our actual ancestors.

• I am an Atheist (and proud to be so), but the problems with religion come from people and their interpretations of it, usually not from the religion themselves.

• Or their willingness to misinterpret it, if it serves their own personal agenda.

• That is also very true @HookingSwan

• I am pretty sure that Islam saying one man is worth two women causes a bunch of long term problems.

• Im a muslim, im peaceful and im proud :)

• Neither agree nor disagree with thwt statement, it just depends on how you interpret the religion. As you can see, there are some that believe that their religion says you have to kill those who don't believe or who do something wrong, so basically they just turned their religion into something violent.
    But there are others that practice their religion in a peaceful way.

I haven't read the Quran so I can't tell you what I interpret from it, but like I said, it's all up to the person's interpretation.

• If all the world is all Muslim, (one specific sect of sunni or shiite to be exact) than I guess to a degree it would be considered peaceful. But it wouldn't be tolerant. Neither would it be successful and I doubt it'd last too long. There is almost a guarantee that at some point later on that a terror group would arise from it

• The real Islam is in the sunni people anything else isn't called Islam and the shiaa came from A VERY BIG STORY TO TELL

• so islam is only about 1 billion if you take about the sunni. guess which sect has the most terrorists and many muslims will diagree with each sect within

• islam is no more a religion of peace than Christianity, Judaism or any other mainstream religions. If anything, it is less peaceful.

• Strives maybe, but it's been striving for a long time now, perhaps someday you'll achieve it.

• yes. the bible condones slavery. just a note to all christians here, and condeming your sister religion...

• It does... the difference is that the slavery has ended in the Christian world. It has not in the muslim world.

• in spite of religion, not because of it. cite industralisation. fact remains, there's nothing inherently savage or kind about both, since they're both sister religions.

• According to Quran yeah Islam is religion of peace but today some people making smear campaign and they always exemplify ISIS. Firstly ISIS is just using the name of Islam so stop the reconcile ISIS with Islam. Quran never says u murder innocent people just like what other holy books says. So stop reconcile this terrorist organization with religion.

• I agree. Most Extreemist Muslims who say that they are fighting for God Have Not even read the Koran.

• Hmm, it seems stupid that people can actually say Islam is peaceful when terrorists are killing people in the name of it. Yes other Muslims may not associate with the terrorists, but the terrorists say they do it for God.
    Something should be done about Islam as it has not evolved in the way that other major religions have, and it is stuck is the medieval barbaric age, unlike Christianity or Judaism which are rarely the cause of terror.

• I am bored of people that don't know nothing about Islam what do u know about Islam cmon amuse me

• Such Ignorance its disgusting

• ISIS DOES NOT REPRESENT ISLAM
    Just a psa for those that associate terrorism with Islam

• 1000 time agreed IslamIslam is the second name and f peace. don't look at terrorists learn what Islam said...
    A murder of one human being ( not necessarily a Muslim ) is the murder of all man kind.
    ( quran )

• Not really, not everyone who follows Islam is bad, but so much bad stuff has been done in the name if it.

IT seems like the more religious a country is, the more wars they seem to have.

• Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism are religions of peace well ok may be not Hinduism completely but it does have it merits.

• Islam is a religion.

• I am a Muslim so yes Islam is the relgion of peace what do u think my child 😃

• in islam warriors are honored instead of peace makers

• Bullshit that's not true

• it is true @Omar5881
      It is OK to defend your religious beliefs but it is better to take a moment and THINK about what are you defending
      Warriors are the honored ones and martyrs are the most honored.
      Peace making unfortunately does not exist in Islam nor in the Sira no the Hadith
      and I can prove it to you

• Every religion promotes peace. The difference is in perspective.

• Lol religions were never peaceful all of them contradict in their own scriptures. Islam is in a sense peaceful but religious secs take it too far a majority of the time.

• Don't know enough about it to agree or disagree but i have my doubts

• "Islam is perfect, Muslims are not"

Think about it!

• Although I don't think its perfect albeit I haven't read the Quran... but yes more often than not its not the religion that is the issue... the people are.

• No religion stays a religion of peace forever. It is hard to name one religion that hasn't had radicals that brought violence.