Why most people from younger generations tend to focus more on rock/metal genres or anything related, instead of “poppier” genres?

For xample most younger people know/listen to Iron Maiden or Def Leppard but not Erasure or Bros (from 80s decade)…. they’ll know/listen to Nirvana or Pearl Jam but not Dr. Alban or Sash! (from 90s decade)

Even rock bands from older decades like The Who or Led Zeppelin stll remain popular among younger audience.

Never understood y pop-related music almost ALWAYS fades away but rock/metal remains. Anybody else who’ve noticed this thing as well?”

Most Helpful Girl

• You're very much on point, I also much prefer rock related genres, they're my favorite, I don't really know why, can't explain it, it's just that that's what my soul likes and I can't help it. It's good music. I guess it's because rock in general is more valued and appreciated by the masses rather than pop, that's how it's always been I believe, could call it a habit.

• yeah i like some rock-related music as well although i'm into pop/dance/electronic music mostly especially from 80s decade. though there r some guys who consider poppish genres less manly so they avoid 'em... yeah it happens unfortunately.

• Thanks for the MHO!

• :D

.

What Girls Said 9

• Isn't Whitney pop?

And what is George Michael/Wham? I think they still rock (no pun intended)

Also Tears for Fears and Spandau Ballet <3

• I'd say whitney's soul.. and wham/george michael were maybe blue-eyed soul mostly

Whoa u like tff and sb? Nice... those 2 changed musical styles pretty often during da years.

"The hurting" was synth-pop,"songs from the big chair" was stadium rock mostly and "seeds of love" was more jazzy and "black"

Same wid sb:

"Journeys to glory" = new wave/new romantic
      "Diamond" = new wave/funk/post-punk
      "True" /"Parade" = pop/blue-eyed soul
      "Through the barricades" = rock/aor
      "Heart like sky" = no genre... an album dat should've never been released :|

by the way which r yer fav albums by tff and sb? Mine would be "the hurting" and "journeys to glory" respectively :D

• Ah too many to mention...

I like wang chung, ultravox, blue nile, naked eyes, the fixx, berlin, missing persons, mi-sex, inxs and many others :D

• which new wave bands do u like btw?

• I guess the 80s bands are just "cool" amongst teenagers now and they think it will automatically make them hispter if they listen to them or so..

• I've never heard of the pop bands that you mentioned, but there are many others that are still possible. And, for me anyway, I know lots of songs from the 80s, but only a few by each artist. Many one hit wonders.

• actually those "1-hit-wonders" might had many more hits

• no duran duran? :p

• Yes haha, them too :P
      My mom used to have the biggest crush on one of them XD
      "Oh Emily, he was just so handsome" Her faves were him and Jon Bon Jovi

• Because shite is shite is shite.

• Huh, i notice the opposite

• I focus more on EDM music

• from which decade? i like 80s italo-disco/hi-nrg/EBM (B not D... which means electronic body music) and 90s house/goa/eurodance/freestyle all of em r EDM subgenres

do u like rave parties?

• hahah thanks... :D

although these genres r popular in continental Europe mostly in countries like france, belgium or germany. in UK or US they r not much popular

• Yeah, I've noticed that :)

• it's the trend right now?

• I have no idea who they are. Im Mexican and i like Corridos

• Because it's good music

What Guys Said 13

• This actually really pertains to me because I regularly listen to Iron Maiden/ Def Leppard and especially The Who/Led Zeppelin.
    If I had to make a guess, it is because pop from the 80s has quite a different sound from pop today. Pop is "popular" and for the masses. The vocal style has changed, the drums have changed, and today's uses completely different technology. Compare the sound of "The Promise" by When In Rome to something like (idk modern pop bands uhh) Sam Smith and the sound is completely changed.

However, rock/metal really formed a basis for much of the rock today. The drums have stayed relatively the same. Shredding guitar vocals still ensue. And the voices are still rough and have screaming (AC/DC and Led Zeppelin --like in the song Rock and Roll are notable examples). Many modern pop people don't actively listen to the classic rock or 80s rock though. Often times they've just heard of that one "Stairway to Heaven" song. For many others though, the older rock still has that same sound people love and found in their modern rock. So the rock community knows all the names, and, as a fellow rock/metal enthusiast myself, we go around telling people about our bands and how they are so much better than today's stuff.

Tl;Dr; The modern rock/metal community won't let them die out. We love our classics too much.

• another thing i noticed also is 80s glam metal (aka hair metal) is often hated by most rock/metal fans and it's da most hated metal sub-genre... honestly it's da only metal genre i could listen to.

*high-5* coz u know "The Promise"... thought i was da only one who's born from 1980 and on who knew it

• Glam Metal is often hated probably because it is considered "pop-metal." People nowadays who listen to metal are often quite proud they listen to metal and get offended if you call anything they have mainstream or pop. Example being the youtube commenters that complain like "Ugh, Van Halen is so overrated! All he is doing is tapping his guitar! Anyone could do that!" I can say as a guitar player that Eruption is not easy to play.

Though I must say even as a modern rock/metal enthusiast, I really do like Skid Row, and if Scorpions are considered a hair band, I guess I really like them too. "Still Loving You" is probably my favorite 80s song actually. xD

• as far as i know Scorpions were originally a krautrock band... never listened much of their music tbh, but i lke some songs from 'em

• It's about the quality of musicians and music. Pop music tends to be very simple. There is usually not much to it. The main focus tends to be the singer and the music itself tends to be just a slight alteration of a popular sound that bands regurgitate over and over. Talented musicians tend to try and break new ground musiclly and therefore leave behind something of more value. This is not always the case. The Police for example are still very popular and will be for a long time. This is because the 3 musicians in the band are all increadablly talented and the music they wrote was groundbreaking, complex and amazing. A good example is the beatles earlier music compared to their later stuff. Most people still listen to, say the white album but the earlier stuff (ya, ya, ya) is usually passed over. The quality increased as the band matured and became able to explore and experiment musically.

• I think also lyrics also play a part. Most pop music is about boy/girl relations or 'I'm so cool and get laid a lot'. Iron maiden for example has songs about politics, murder, psychology, history and the struggle in life. Who really cares what the talking heads are singing about. As an audiophile I like almost all music and love 80's pop. But as a musician I gravitate to musical talent and those who tend break new barriers and push their abilities.

• I actually am just the opposite, I don't like rock music UNLESS it's got pop in it. I can't listen to straight hard rock or metal, it's too heavy and the lyrics are terrible. The furthest I'm willing to go with rock is groups with decidedly pop influence like Journey and Bon Jovi. I also love some full on 80s pop like Debbie Gibson.

• I dunno but I like rock as well and consider pop to be utter shit. Except for when the melody sounds nice and catchy. That's the only time I'd give pop a thumbs up.

• FORM is temporary but CLASS is permanent.

• Pop music today is way too repetitive and overplayed. Even though I've never listened to the top 100 list on Spotify I still know the lyrics to half of the songs thanks to them being played over and over everywhere I go. Rock, metal, hiphop tend to be more original and it just feels like they've put more time into making it, contrary to pop music that someone throws together in 5min using a computer!

• Because in the 80's and earlier, making music was difficult, it took time and talent. Result: very good music, good styles, everlasting quality.
    Later, when we started to use computers, making music became much easier. No need for musical talent, just know how to work with the computer.
    Nowadays, it's not about musicians anymore, it's all about deejays.

What concerns pop music, it's so easy to make a bad voice sound good with modern technology.
    Compare a live performance from any popstar with their radio versions. Do the same for Iron Maiden, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath... You'll understand what I want to say.

Today's bands, especially in pop music, make much money in a few years and then they fade away. Most bands you named survived decades, some of them nearly half a century.

• Bc pop is so repetitive. Same chords, same lyrics rearranged. Gets boring quickly

• I swear I thought I was the only one falling for metal music. I think pple have had enough of pop or even rap. Rock / metal is da new thang

• Eso es lo que se llama "Diferencia Generación".

• well, take jackson for example, kids listen to jackson nowdays :) and he is the king of pop

• pop or soul?

• ...
      I can't tell if you're serious about that or not?
      So white people can only make pop music and black people can only make soul?

• @emilyg25 basically most black artists r marketed as r'n'b/soul and whites as pop even if they play kinda similar genre. eh it's music marketin it cannot b changed...

• Mmm.. I wished it was true. Most younger people listen to pop music or electronic.

• oh i meant... people who listen music from PREVIOUS decades like 80s or 90s... tend to focus more on rock/metal music of these decades insted of pop/dance/electronic music of da same era

• Oh, yes sorry. You are absolutely correct. I think it's because rock music (other than production values) has stayed generally the same. If you hear today's punk is not very different from before, or even metal music (see Mastodon for example). Whereas pop/electronic stuff have changed A LOT, actually it's surprising that bands as Passion Pit or MGMT have been successful as they have a "classic" vibe going on.

• Where I come from its hip hop