A man from Montana now wants to legally marry his second wife, citing the recent same-sex marriage rulings on marriage equality. How do you feel?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nathan-collier-montana-man-inspired-by-samesex-marriage-ruling-requests-right-to-wed-two-wives-10361612.html

What makes same-sex marraige okay but not polygamy? I'm not a fan of polygamy myself, but ironically it was okay in the Old Testament.

Most Helpful Girl

• In America everyone wants their share of freedom and we all wanna do whatever we want. We want to marry the people we love. So some people will want to marry people of the same sex, of course. And then people will want to marry more than one person, people it's all about love, isn't it? And then people will want to marry siblings legally too. Because who has the right to hold them back from loving one another? And then you're gonna want to marry your dog, or your horse, and then maybe even your house or car. I'm not against gay marriage, but these are the kinds of things that happen when people get a taste of freedom. There's a domino effect.

• Exactly. So many people talked about this being a "slippery slope fallacy"... but it's already starting now.

What Girls Said 8

• That's not gonna work. Regardless of whether or not polygamy should be legal, citing the gay marriage case as precedent does not work. The difference between polygamy and monogamous marriage is pretty clear. Same sex marriage was a matter of giving the same legal rights to a certain group of people. However, with monogamy, the legal system for marriage is changed significantly.

• How is it different? He wants his second wife to have all the legal protections and rights that his first wife has. Same argument for same-sex marriage.

• No, definitely is not. In the case of polygamy, you would be able to get the legal benefits of marriage but applied to basically as many people as you want. That's vastly different from same sex marriage, where it's just a matter of giving the same legal rights to a different group of people. You understand how that's vastly different? Even same sex marriage still has limits on how many people you can share the legal benefits with. One.

• Basically it's like how discrimination laws work. You can deny service based on the nature of the service, but not on the nature of a person. So a bakery can refuse to bake a cake with an anti-gay stance written on it, but cannot refuse to bake a cake for a gay customer. Apply that to marriage. Legalizing polygamy would be changing the nature of the marriage, while legalizing same sex marriage only changed who marriage could be done for.

• I have no problem with people doing whatever they want as long as it's peaceful.

• And thaaat is how society crumbles into nothing.

• It's for society to judge. That's how a nation works--we all give up some things to help the entire country. In Utah, polygamy works because mormon societies excommunicate a huge percent of young men to keep a skewed gender ratio.

nationally, what happens if say, 20% of men become polygamous, and have multiple wives? The top dogs, high businessmen, politicians, etc. That means, by definition, 20% of lesser men have no shot at dating or marriage.

What happens to 20% of the male population, millions of men? Think they'll work hard and pay taxes? Think they'll fight in the next war the USA gets involved in?

Think gang activity, crime waves, tax revenue plummets over the USA, and next time a war breaks out and a draft is called, millions of men refusing to fill the army.

• I hardly think people were thinking of that as the big picture when the rest of the country was against it. It's a Mormon practice and now as more Muslims immigrate to the US, it's in their religion too. Religion used to dictate a lot of what was law, and now that it's being challenged, the people doing the most screaming about it are the Christians. With your logic, gay marriage is no threat to any heterosexual dating, so that should have been tossed out the window long ago.

And "society" as a whole could not agree on gay marriage anyway. It was always the liberal leftist against the religious/and/or conservatives. If you ask people in one state two thousand miles away from Utah if they care that one guy married two women in the one state is was legal, they probably couldn't give a shit. The US is too vast and has too many people to make "society" a close knit unit who all seem to be on one page. It's far from it.

• Due to the fact that those people would collect more money from the government in taxes, that is why it won't be legal.

• More wives = more children, and that's why those tax breaks exist in the first place.

• The tax breaks existed for people to have money to care for their child. Not for people to try and break the system by getting more money because they want to have a family of 15 and to pay less taxes the more dependents that you claim.

• I don't care if people want to do it though. I just think it's not going to happen.

• I hate polygamy but marriage means nothing to me so go crazy. It's not the same as gays getting married though, it's actually special and means something because it's two people not 3 or 4.

• So you're saying that this guy and his wives don't love each other?

• They could, it's just not special. I don't believe you could truly be in love with more than one person.

• Oh, sure. Why not? Everyone form a single line to collect your harem.

• Marrying multiple people isn't equality. That's wanting more than equality. I don't mind polygamy but comparing it to gay marriage is just silly.

• Well, all the marriage laws are religious laws. So I can imagine that polygamous marriages, zoophile (animal-animal, human-animal) marriages, and MMF, FFM, FFF, and MMM marriages will be next

• One thing at a time my friend.

And bible doesn't make it okay. If we lived like in the bible we would sacrificce sheep, kill our sons, offer our daughters to rapists and wouldn't that be lovely?

• Not to mention be killed for eating pork or shellfish.

• Actually we would do none of the things either of you mentioned. Christians don't follow the Old Laws, Jews do.

gg, try harder

• So? It is not clear new testament supports polygamy. People argue about it constantly. So if christians follow mainly get their teachings from the new testament, they can't use it to support polygamy. That was a thing of the old testament. You know, where those old laws are from.

What Guys Said 7

• Based on the recent SROTUS ruling, there's no real argument against it, is there?

Based on common sense, polygamy should be stamped out. Take a look at the "Lost Boys" of Mormon culture. Due to older men taking multiple wives, it's necessary to cull the male population down.

What happens if the more established, older men start taking more wives? Say, only some do it, so we end up with 15% of men taking two wives. That means 15% of men automatically would be cut out of the marriage market, and have slim to nill odds of getting married.

What do you get when you have millions of men who have no shot of marrying, and hence, no roots and about nothing invested in society?

Imagine the crime waves that WOULD happen. Armed robberies, gang activity, home invasion and murders, and without a doubt, sex trafficking and rape.

• Not to mention, what happens next time we get into a war? Who are you going to draft when millions of men who know they've been cut out of society just flee to Canada? Going to draft baby mamas? Illegal immigrants?

• @RationalMale That's a bit of a stretch. Crime has happened for centuries everywhere, regardless of marriage laws and socio-economic status and policies. Polygamy being legal or illegal has zero bearing on the crime rate. I say let them, as long as everyone's life, liberty, and property are respected then the government has no business getting involved in it.

• @RationalMale Also, polygamy was common practice in Europe, minus Rome and Greece where monogamy was valued. The Roman empire spread its culture and religion at the height of its empire. Islam supports polygamy, and there were some very wealthy and powerful African Empires. Just because we are top dog now, doesn't mean we always will be. In fact, we have been in decline, and other nations are catching up. While culture and values do play a part in a society and it's expansion, I'd argue it's the smallest contributor. Technology, Disease, Economics, Climate, and science have a much larger effect on a nation than marriage laws and adults loving who they want to love.

• As long as you're not a cult forcing underage girls into it, I see no reason to oppose polygamy between consenting adults.

Though I think everyone in a polygamous marriage should have to be married to everyone else, not just one person keeping separate lives.

• I don't care as long as they're all consenting adults. No being forced into it or anything.

• people can do as they please, it's a free wold.

• Absolutely not. If you want a 2nd wife then go to Saudi Arabia. We don't do that here.

• I don't agree with it, but I am not surprised that this came up. I can't wait to see how supporters of same-sex marriage try to downplay what this guy is asking for (equality).

• I don't support same sex marriage either, it seems like these people have no moral backbones to say something is wrong

• It's quite simple: one is not two.

• Well, if same sex marriage is okay then why not polygamy? I mean the monogamy business is only about religion. And why not man/animal marriages while we are at it? Why shouldn't a zoophile be able to marry his horse? And what about groups of gays? Why not community marriages?

• Because if you ask the horse for consent it can't give it. Consenting, sound-mind adults only. If people want to consent to marry a second person or a relative, and both agree, it shouldn't be prohibited. One might find it weird, but its part of living your own life and not dictating to others how someone else should live theirs.

• I dont think consent was asked of a cow to be eaten? and what about group marriages, why not them?