Why would people want to use a lawyer when they can "pro se"?

Pro se legal representation (/ˌproʊ ˈsiː/ or /ˌproʊ ˈseɪ/) comes from Latin, literally meaning "on behalf of themselves", which basically means advocating on one's own behalf before a court, rather than being represented by a lawyer.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because anyone that represents himself has a fool for a client.
    You have the right to represent yourself pro se but a decent judge (and the prosecutor in a criminal case) will do their best to talk you out of it because it is a terrible idea.
    When you do appear pro se you are still held to the same court room standards and rules as an attorney. That means you must be able to perform depositions, pretrials, preliminary hearings, enter evidence, examine a witness, and cross examine a witness all under the rules set forth by the federal and state constitutions, rules of criminal or civil procedure, the rules of evidence including hearsay and all all its exceptions, state and local jurisprudence and other governing documents and bodies. When you hear a lawyer object to something, that is him saying the other attorney violated one of those many many rules so you must know them to be able to object and give the reason for your objection. The average person has no idea what a court appearance actually involves. There is a reason attorneys charge what they do.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 3

• Because lawyers know the loop holes, what counter actions to anticipate, and other things like that. When I got divorced, I got a lawyer to make sure my ex didn't succeed in taking advantage of me one last time. He also kept things moving when I was emotional or not available to show in court.

• Because if I tried I would end up in jail or paying a fine

• one can never understand such things

What Guys Said 6

• Because a lawyer knows how to move around the court, you don't (unless you're a lawyer or something related to that). They can use wording and stuff that you wouldn't fully understand and you can end up saying something you shouldn't.
    The court is tricky, so if you have no knowledge about it you can get screwed.

• I can't imagine anyone qualified at all the juridical areas, really. Every person needs an advocate at least once in a lifetime, every company needs a juridical team if it cares about it's future and safety. My business needs quality litigation and arbitration from time to time, I can't imagine these services without linkagemind.com/practices/litigation-arbitration/ .

• Regular people have no ideas of precedents, how courts work, or of any of the terminology and customs found in trials. They would be as lost as I would be if you put me at the control of a mission to Mars.

• Same reason people use a mechanic to fix their car. The devil's in the details, especially in law. Most cases are more complicated than the average lay person can handle, especially criminal cases.

• Well, you can act as your own lawyer but you won't get anything done. If you dont understand law and how to maneuver around within it, you won't do yourself any good other than to look like a fool and lose money.

• Because people are too stupid/lazy to research the law themselves...

I run a real estate investment company. I use no lawyers. All me.