Denying that the historical man named Jesus existed is like denying Julius Caesar existed?

Do you think this gives more credibility that Jesus Christ was also a prophet?
Why and why not?

• I believe in a historical Jesus
  • I don't believe in a historical Jesus

Most Helpful Guy

• There's a term for atheists that deny the historical evidence for Jesus. They're known as mythicists to historians.

You'll be surprised how many atheists actually are mythicists and even go as far as claiming zeitgeist as a credible historical source to argue the contrary.

Jesus as a literal person is one of the most reliably attested of any figure of antiquity. Even if the atheist chooses to ignore or give any credence to biblical sources. They're stuck with the dilemma of having more non biblical sources supporting it then any other.

• I agree

• There's that and the fact that if you're an atheist. .. by default of your worldview. You're interpretive lens if knowledge is reduced to a reductions approach. So anything not conforming to that worldview is automatically dismissed as untrue

• Yes that's what gets on my nerve about them I thon one should be objective about things for your own good you could miss out on heaps because one never considered it

What Girls Said 4

• Well, not really. Aren't there coins and such with Caesar's face on? I know Jesus appears in other Abrahamic texts, but is he referenced in any historical, non-religious texts or records?

I think there was some crazy schizophrenic dude who thought he was the son of God. I don't believe for a second that the was born from immaculate conception or that he possessed any powers beyond the power of persuasion.

• He is referenced by the Romans in Judea at that time

• In the Roman texts? How do we know it is the same guy? I'm not doubting he was, I'm just curios.

• The description I guess

• It's probable that he existed, however the story has been embellished just a little lol. He most likely couldn't have had magical powers

• I doubt that's what his name was if he existed...
    But Yeshua.

• If Jesus didn' t exist then there is no hope for mankind. Praying would be futile as Jesus' human sacrifice opened the way for humans to gain everlasting life... on earth and for us to have a personal relationship with God

What Guys Said 10

• I believe there was a guy by that name (or a vague approximation there of) leading a cult in Judea yes.
    I have yet to see any evidence regarding him being the son of god, or that he performed any miracles (several of his miracles were amalgamated from other saints stories and few if any appear in secular refferences to the rise of the christian cult until much much later) so I remain agnostic in that sense.

• I believe in historical Jesus also often referred to as Jesus of Nazareth.

I do no think that adds anything to him as a prophet though... Especially as the bible is dated a fair amount after his proposed time frame...

• Yeah the bible was written I think a couple of hundred years after his death

• It was at least 100 haha and the bible we have today is soooo far removed form the original... But still, there are a fair amount of record from Rome of his existence. I don't knos if there was even anything on his trial or crucifixion though...

• I think the gospel of Bernabous is the closest to actual events and also the first one written

• That Jesus existed is a fact, and anyone denying that needs to take a history lesson. What can be discussed however is if he really was something else than an ordinary man, but he definitely existed, there is no denying that!

• I think that there was most likely a man called Jesus who believed in and preached the word of god. Do I think he was right? No

• I'm atheist but I'm not going to actively deny he existed. He very well may have.

• It's documented that he existed but its up to you to decide if he was just a man or something else

• Well for me he was just a man. Nothing more.

• I can't agree fully, because there is a lot of historical evidence for Julius Caeser but most of the evidence for Jesus is biblical. Personally I do believe Jesus did exist and was a prophet, due to the multiple written accounts, even though they are clearly embellished, and not inconsistent with each other in many details.

• That wasn't jumping to conclusions, that was pole-vaulting.

• Historical Jesus is in official Roman documents. The Romans documented EVERYTHING. He existed on this planet.

• If Jesus didn't exist then why do people still eat fish and bread today?

• They did that before jesus

• In some since no matter the religion he was a prophet regardless. He predicted some things.