Could I buy alcohol in the US?

If I'm legal in my country already and I show my id to prove that I'm not American could I buy alcohol? I'm going there for uni next month and I need to know.
Ps. I think it's ridiculous that you can put your life on the line there and still can't buy alcohol but anyway. Why?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure
I mean in the army by the way
There I got my answer. You're all just copying each other at this point.
Being ignorant- people try to offent you
Trying to get knowledge on the subject- people still try to offend you :/

Most Helpful Guy

• The reason the drinking age is 21 in the U. S. is because of the temperance movement by Protestant Christians in the Bible Belt, who believe alcohol is evil and (get this) drink GRAPE JUICE instead of wine during church services because they still think it's evil. Even though Jesus drank alcohol but whatever. This mentality led to prohibition in the 20th century but it did NOT blow over well so they settled with raising the drinking age from 18 to 21. This was combined with the fact that insurance companies figured that less teens drunk driving = less accidents and casualties = less money they have to pay, so the insurance companies fully supported this raise.

Should it be lowered back down? Yes. However I don't think 18 is appropriate, Canada has it right with 19. An 18 y/o in high school is might not be mature enough to drink, but there's a better chance a 19 y/o in college will. Either way, the whole US needs to change their attitudes towards alcohol. It is NOT evil, and you do NOT binge drink or drink to get drunk. You are an idiot if you do, alcohol is a poison chemically so you're harming your body and possibly harming others when you're drunk. You're also going to look like the idiot you are. Being able to down the most shots before you black out is the dumbest competition ever. You don't see Europeans doing this kind of bullshit. We need to teach kids and teens that alcohol is meant to be enjoyed in moderation and is meant for merry. Wine should be what is enjoyed most, not Vodka. If we can successfully teach kids and teens how to drink properly then we won't have to worry about partying.

What Girls Said 9

• No, you need to be 21 to buy alcohol in the US. I live in Ontario, Canada where the legal drinking age is 19, but I could not buy a drink in the US until I was 21. It doesn't matter what the laws of your country are - when you're in the US or any other country, you have to follow their laws.

• If your drinking age is 18 then no.. legal drinking age in the US is 21. They won't bend the rules because you are legal to drink in your country

• You cannot take the laws of your country with you on holiday.

• I worry about the education system if somebody who is going to university needs to ask this question.

The answer is no. It doesn't matter where you are from. When you are in America their laws apply to you. Same with any country.

• America isn't a country. Correct yourself before you talk about anyone else's education level.

• I'm sorry I don't know everything. I admit that. That's why I asked. How would I ever know anything without questioning? She's the one insulting people as if she knew everything.

• I'm asexual sorry. Sex is repulsive

• it doesn't matter where your from the age is 21 regardless, I believe it used to be 18 a long time ago.

• U. S. Military personnel can by alcohol at 18. Everyone is 21. Period.

• Everyone ELSE* that is...

• and she doesn't have access to a gun. God. What an ignorant thing to say.

• It's not ignorant, she's military personnel, excuse me for assuming someone who calls themselves that might have some military training, it's not exactly far fetched now is it? It's not your relative alone who is allowed to buy it is it?

• You have to be 21 or older no matter your country of origin. That said, I had other friends buy it for me when I was younger.

• Nope.
    ----

• If you are 21 then yes but if not then you can't.

What Guys Said 12

• No you cannot buy alcohol in the US just because your own country has a lower drinking age. Your country's laws have no bearing whatsoever on the laws of the country you are visiting. Visiting a foreign country always means subjecting yourself to that country's laws.

• the federal law says NO ONE under 21 can purchase alcohol.

there are several states that allow consumption while in the presence of adults for people under 21 and a few that allow any military personnel to consume alcohol but the federal law so no purchasing of alcohol for people under 21.

some of the US territories (like Puerto Rico) have different laws though. like in Puerto Rico you can be 18 to purchase alcohol

• Nope, you'll be bound by their laws... doesn't matter where you're originally from. I was 18 but I couldn't even order food in a bar in Canada, didn't matter that i'm legal in my country for alcohol nor that I wasn't even ordering alcohol but that's their laws.

• In the US, you are subject to the laws of the state you are in. If you're under the legal drinking age, as a bartender, I can lose my license if I serve you.

• You go to another country, you abide their laws.

You can't claim diplomatic immunity just because you're in the military.

• You have to be 21 to buy alcohol here. When I was in the Philippines I could just give money to a 6 year old girl and have her run to the store and buy me a case of beer. And this country is supposed to be free. We can't even fly a rebel flag or smoke in public.

• No you can't, once you step foot on US soil most of the laws from your country are no longer valid and must follow US laws/rules.

• No. You need to be 21 years of age to buy and consume alcohol, regardless of where you are from and if you are legal (to buy and consume alcohol).

• no the law says here you can buy alcohol at 21 and you have to follow our laws when your here even if your from another country just like we have to follow the laws in other countries when we go there

• No regardless of where you are from the legal age to buy alcohol is 21 in the US.

• Drinking age here is 21

• No Alcohol is bad 'mkay