What do you think about Greeks retiring at the age of 40 with a pension?

It galls me that my tax money is being spent to fund Greeks that retire at 40! The greek government used MY money to buy votes. It offered cushy retirements to the populace with MY money. How do you feel that while you toil to earn a living, every greek can retire at the age of 40! FORTY!

It is time for the Greeks to get off their LAZY asses and work. I for one am no longer willing to pay for greeks that want to live a cushy life on my tax dollars and earnings while I still need to work to pay off THEIR debt!

• Greeks shouldn't retire at 40 on my money!
  • Im okay with greeks retiring at 40 on my dime!

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel Forty is a bit young to sit home and Retire and I don't blame you for being heated that the Greek Geek Government is 'Funding' their fun while you are still busting your bum.
    In Egypt, for I lived out there for awhile, a man has to throw in the towel at 60 but leave will virtually nothing on his back but his clothes. Unless I believe you work for the government out there, which when you retire or for awhile you get a small hand out, you have to just sit home and make nothing. But it's not at 40, lordy, lordy.
    Good luck. xx

• Thank you, sweetie, for allowing me to share and yes... I care... Great Question.:)) xxoo

What Girls Said 4

• A - obviously...
    But I still get sad when I see an old man crying on TV that the bank won't give him some of his savings to buy bread. :(((((

• They are not destitute there like that. BUT they have been living a pretty easy life for a long time with no need to work. If they want to work there is money. Also there is a vast welfare system. If the man is over 40, he isn't going without bread.

• A/
    I totally agree with you

• We don't have to pay taxes in my country so it doesn't bother me.

• i dont like it

What Guys Said 10

• I think the fact that Greece is going broke right now says something about how they use their money.

• How they use YOUR money

• Once bailout money left here and ended up there, it was their money, though the debts are affected, too.

• no, they sold a lot of the debt to other countries. We bought a lot of it in addition to the direct loans we gave them.

• GOOD LUCK. Their impending economic crisis is going to wreck their entire country for years and might take the EU with them. The rest of the world is currently cooking industrial sized popcorns to enjoy while watching Greece become a real-life equivalent of a Mad Max movie.

• Such bullshit...
    I don't know where to start with you.

• I believe the actual retirement age for them is 45, but it's still too young and unsustainable.

• Yeah. Sucks when we give money to fund a peek that we don't have here. The retirement age here is now 70 and we don't have pensions here anymore. What only have social security which we pay for ourselves with a 12 percent tax.

• "Too many drawing from it that never paid into the program"

Like who?

• all of the illegal immigrants who were just made citizens and all of the elderly legal immigrants. I have immigrants in my rental properties that came to the US for the sole reason of accessing public assistance and social security. Illegal aliens are also entiltled to Social Security benefits, even if they weren't working in the U. S. legally at the time. In fact, the Totalizaion agreement with Mexico encourages them to do so, because they are entilted to benefits from working as few as 18 months, to as much as 9.75 years, even under a stolen identity. See the "2003 GAO report SOCIAL SECURITY - Proposed Totalization Agreement with Mexico Presents Unique Challenges notes."
      Additionally those who came here prior to 2004 only had to work for one day to be eligible. Before 2004 you could work as little a one day, and your spouse would be entitled to full spousal benefits. After 2004, as a government employee, you only need to work five years instead of the typical ten years.

• Your ever hear the old saying never lend money to greek?

• This tells me you dont know very muh about greece... want me to tell you how many people I know that are 60 and still working?

• You have probably misread. They need 40 years of work so they can retire

• This article quotes "Greeks, many of whom were drawing pensions in their 50s"
      DID YOU KNOW THAT THE AGE OF RETIREMENT IN THE USA IS 67 to 70? AND THERE IS NO PENSION HERE?
      www.economist.com/.../greek-pensions

• Why should I pay for you? My tax money is bailing you out!

• I thought it was 55? But 40 is ridiculously early , it's 65 over here and they're thinking of putting it up soon.

• You can retire at 40 if you either won a massive lottery or didn't spend any of the money you made during your career and have enough to live the rest of your life with no pension.

• Socialism at it's finest over there lol

• When i first heard about that I was like damn I wish i grew up in greece.

Unfortunately for them it's not the brightest idea and probably helped bankrupt them.