What do you think about the Confederate flag and it coming down today?

Most Helpful Guy

• Stupid they should have left the flag alone, of course that's your typical person now a days people seem not to remember that slavery was only one small thing among many things being fought over but yet it's the only thing people remember.

• Sadly for those of you who wanted it to come down, it won't stop people who want to fly it from flying it.

What Girls Said 5

• These females sound RIDICULOUS acting like abortion is their friend. ABORTION IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. Abortion is physical, emotional, and mental trauma THAT YOU BROUGHT YOURSELF. Sacrificing an innocent, voiceless child’s life and trying to lessen how human they are to justify something f*cked up only lessens YOUR HUMANITY. Everyone in this post was once a defenseless, helpless, voiceless clump of cells and we were all lucky enough to have a mother who was not so disgustingly entitled and self-centered to take away our lives for herself. Whether she gave someone up for adoption or wasn’t at a point in her womanhood to adequately fulfill motherly duties: SHE GAVE A HUMAN BEING A CHANCE AT LIFE. We are talking about SACRIFICING INNOCENT LIVES. Life begins at conception. Point blank period. You are not conceived
    Sometimes I am so disgusted to be apart of the human race. I bet even the most vicious animals would not choose an abortion if they had the willpower and opportunity to do so.

LONG OVERDUE.
    Despite the people who think that flag is a symbol of heritage, the facts are that the confederate flag was a battle flag used to support white supremacy, enslavement, and the legal rape of children. In addition, it was also used as a symbol of outright hate and racism during the Civil Rights Movement. SYMBOLS MATTER: What you ingest matters and is very significant. So for the people who look at that flag and take in the reality that had they been born in a different time, that flag would have supported them being treated like cattle, they have every right to not want to see that flag being flown on PUBLIC AND FEDERAL BUILDINGS/establishments where their hard earned tax money goes to.

I also think that some white people need to stop being whiny cry babies and saying “They’re taking away history”. No, they are putting history where it belongs: in a museum next to the pictures of slaves who were forced to go to war with the confederacy, wearing no boots or jackets, supporting a cause that destroyed their lives. Suck it up. Native Americans, African Americans, and even Mexicans in this country have had their heritage stolen away from them in much more serious ways since white people got here. Taking down a flag that has supported violence, domestic white terrorism, and hate is not “taking away history”. Rewriting what really happened to the indigenous people, African Americans, and those who’s oppression built this land is taking away history.

• Lmao that first part doesn't belong. Sometimes GAG can't keep up with my typing speed so I'll type my answer into a Microsoft Word document then paste it here. Didn't notice that other answer being copied with it :P

• whatever lazy

• @Asker lol sorry dude, I don't care about that article. If you want to make a lazy post then you need to put in the work.

• Some people hate it. Some people love it. I don't really care. I can understand the reasons, but it doesn't matter to me.

• I am British so my opinion might not count. All I can see is about time. Now now about disarming common people and being more restrictive with guns. A Little boy of only Seven years old got shot in chicago recently. As a brit is more shocking.

• Are we really having another conversation about this? I see the same questions and posts every single day.

What Guys Said 14

• I think it's good riddance to a flag flown by an army of people sworn to uphold and defend a constitution that specified slavery as a right. It's also the flag flown by an army of people who seceded because an election didn't go their way, and yes, to preserve slavery. What the hell kind of a democratic republic is that? It is the flag of an army of people who proved to be liars when they claimed it was all about state's rights, but then invaded Kentucky and when the Kentucky state legislature ordered them out, they refused to leave.

I read your "The Truth about Confederate History" page and found parts of it to be spectacularly UNtruthful, chiefly the claim, "MYTH – The War of 1861 – 1865 was fought over slavery." It's no myth at all. Don't believe me? Consult the Confederate founding fathers. Consult the Cornerstone Speech. Consult the Confederate Constitution. Consult the various declarations made by each state upon secession and how every single one of them mentions slavery, and how at least one (Texas) mentions the perceived innate inferiority of blacks.

I would, however, agree that the average Johnny Reb never fought to preserve slavery. I would also agree Lincoln never fought to end it. It was fought to preserve the United States by the North, and to defend slavery by the South. I also think that there were, among the Confederate Army, many men who were personally very honorable and decent men, Robert E. Lee is a fine example. However, there were no doubt many men who were personally very honorable and decent who fought for the Empire of Japan and Nazi Germany. This doesn't mean that we should, therefore, honor the flags that they fought for, because those flags stood for something rotten, as the Confederate flag did.

Furthermore, like it or not, the Stars and Bars (and yes, I know that wasn't it's true name, but 99.99999% of the world believe that the flag we're talking about is called the Stars and Bars) was hijacked by white supremecy groups and people who were attempting to block vital civil rights legislations. Just like how some people from Asatru bitch about how the swastika was hijacked by Nazis, the people of the South need to understand that just like the swastika, for a HUGE number of people, the symbol has evolved, intentionally or not, into something that many people think stinks. So I say...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhm7aWp8gvc

• I'm indifferent towards it coming down because it isn't going to cure the heart of racist people

But I must admit that flag had no business being on state grounds. A flag that represents treason, racism, slavery, anti-segregation and a civil war, has no right to be outside on the lawn of a governmental building that is funded by taxes that everyone, including minorities pay. If a person want to display it because of heritage or ancestry reasons then throw it where we place all the other historical artifacts at... A museum.

• Bro, I read all of it... twice, but most of it still isn't right. We have quotes from Confederate generals discussing their plans, we have writing on paper from Confederate states stating that slavery was why they seceded. We have the Confederate Constitution which talks about the black mans place in society.

All your link gives me is somebody's own interpretation who tries to revise history (some of it is true though) without any source or proof.

• again the government made all that up so the citizens wouldn't turn against them

• memecrunch.com/.../image.jpg?w=625&c=1

People will still commit racist crimes either way.

• They shouldn't have folded it up and stowed it away. They should have burned it.

• For one it's the southern cross not the Confederate flag. Another thing it's bullshit PC and I myself will fly whatever flag I want to

• Most do not understand its origin as the confederate battle flag. But, it is being used by some very evil people to perform terrible acts of violence. I can understand the reaction many have to it. But are they going to abolish other items being used as symbols of hate? Take the koran as an example. More people today are being persecuted, beheaded, burned alive, etc by those who justify it with that book. Shall we ban that too?

Personally, I do not believe it should be flown at any American government location as we are the United States. The confederacy lost. But history is history. Abolishing it from historical locations I think goes to far.

In the end, you have no right to not be offended.

• 0|0
  • It's not something that really matters to me one way or another :/

• I'm indifferent to be honest. People can still fly it on private property.

• I'm from Europe so I really don't know what this is about but I've read stuff about it now and it seems to be loooooong overdue.

• Good riddance.

• and why do you say that?

• that is what the government wants you to think

• I'm sorry you're too stupid to read, I really am, but if you want to someday improve yourself the documents that were written 150 years ago by the actual people that actually started the war and claimed secession STILL EXIST. Straight from the source.

• Don't give a shit, coz I m not American

• Martin Luther King strikes back from the grave!

• It's nice, but took way, way, way too long.

• what?

• Never mind... I'm tired of arguing with people about this. There is a lot of horrible, painful history here. It's NOT a coincidence that hate groups have been adopting this flag for decades. Hate groups also fly and wear the flag of Rhodesia for the exact same reason. Go ask Jewish people who survived the Holocaust or know people who have... and ask them if they are offended by the Nazi flag? I'm sure you can find many who would say that the Nazi flag was not about killing Jews... it was about something else. This not a joke or game. It's not funny or cute.