What could my dog have allergies to if he keeps bitting himself in one area of his body?

0|0
2|3

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 3

• Could be a bug bite. How long has he been doing it? What area of his body? See any evidence of a bug bite? (often you won't) Has he irritated it: bleeding, damaged skin, bald spot?

0|0
    0|0
    • its been 3 days or so, and he usually bites his tail or his thighs legs on one side of his body. I checked it out and it looked normal. Maybe there's a bald spot I don't know.

• probably a bug bite then. check thoroughly for fleas and tics and give him a bath using some oatmeal based dog shampoo. if it starts to show sign of excessive irritation or infection, then you're going to have to take him to the vet. if you do find fleas, wash him with flea shampoo (at least 0.1% permethrin and 0.5% piperonyl butoxide) and thoroughly clean everywhere he's been. then get him on a permanent flea treatment plan or change it to another one, if already on one.

• But if it was fleas, doesn't he have to bit or itch himself constantly?

• Actually that's most likely fleas - you can get some stuff from the vet or even online to sort it out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fleas, grass

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• maybe he has ticks or just dry skin. He could've had a wound there and its just healing and could be itchy

0|0
    0|0
    • There hasn't been any wounds lately. So maybe dry skin or ticks (thats hard to spot)

• take a tooth pick and run it through his fur to see if there's anything