Why do American citizens constantly blame every single ill that has happened to their country on Barack Obama?

As a politically independent "minority" man, I may not agree with Obama being the president (when there could have been someone better than him, McCain and Romney) or care for him but he certainly wasn't the very worst president that we've ever had yet the vast majority of Americans act as if he is. There were other US presidents in the past that were actually worse than Obama and they were forgotten already by now.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think there are two aspects to this. First of all, I wouldn't agree that the vast majority of Americans use Obama as a scapegoat for all the bad stuff that's happening. If you look at Obama's approval rates throughout all the years that he's been in office so far and you compare those approval rates with the ones of former US presidents, you will see that Obama is in fact an exceptionally popular president. When Bush was at his worst (in terms of approval rates), he was down to about 21%. That's really, really bad. Obama didn't even come close to this number. I am convinced that the people who do use Obama as a scapegoat for everything compose a small - but unfortunately very loud - minority. Think of Bill O'Reilly and all these other nutcases at Fox News. Nobody takes them seriously apart from some uneducated hillbillies. Even decently educated and smart conservatives will tell you that O'Reilly is just some idiot who should visit a therapist. Yet, this guy loves to yell and scream and he has his own TV channel to do that. Unfortunately, too many loudmouths and loonies get a voice in the US while many smart people who are too poor or part of an ethnic minority etc. do not (at least that's my impression as a foreigner).
    On the other hand, I think the reason why Obama makes for the perfect scapegoat is very, very simple: he's black. Let's be honest, Americans love to lie to themselves when it comes to this topic. You guys have this ridiculous euphemisms such as "N-word" and I'm sure a lot of people think that's a sign of living in a tolerant society. If even rednecks are scared of the real word, there can't possibly be any racism, can it? Well, sadly, the reality looks very differently. Racism in America is just as present as it has ever been. All that has changed is that people are now polite about their racism. It has become less obvious (at least in some occasions). But it's just as strong as it was 50 years ago. If you look at all this stuff that has been going on in the southern states for the past half year (white police officer shooting innocent black teenagers etc.), you could easily confuse it with the civil unrest that was going on when Martin Luther King was still alive. And practically all the Republican candidates love to speak in racist codes as they used to a few decades ago. The problem nowadays is simply that much of the normal conservatives don't understand this code anymore. You've got to spell it out to them.

What Girls Said 6

• The Republicans made a shitty mess with the Bush Administration and when Obama came in, he was criticized for not being able to clean it up in good time, or that he couldn't deliver on his own promises because he was neck-deep fixing the Republicans' problems. I think he even said once something like he has come in to a disaster and is doing his best to clean things up that the Republicans started in the first place.

Can't have it all, Republicans. One party fucks it up yet the other is in the wrong for not fixing it after they're in power? Makes tons of sense.

• Racism. I believe it is because these people are truly racist and they can’t stand that a black man is in the White House so they’re quick to discredit him and blame him for all of the country’s problems.

• I don't know. He's personally one of my favorites, but I feel that most people have a personal problem with him.

Also I hate how people rip on his family, they haven't even done anything wrong. Especially the kids.

• Are you serious? They blame every thing that happens on Obama. Its because he's the first African American president so of course a lot of people don't like that. They try to make his work harder than it already is so he can go out of office. So I'm not surprised by this.

• I dont think obama gets blamed as much as people play it up. The obama supporters use that as a way to deflect from his failures, just like making it a race issue.

The media is clearly in love with him, If anyone actually compared how he is treated as compared to bush or clinton they would see he gets some serous kid glove treatment.

a lot of how obama got to where is was by playing the victim game.

• I think some people just get caught up in the fact that he's a Democrat (read: Communist) and that they disagree with his politics. It blows up in their mind until he causes everything that goes wrong and isn't responsible for anything that goes right. They're too caught up in partisanship.

I mostly blame him for the little things. If I drop my ice cream, you bet your ass it's his fault.

What Guys Said 17

• They'll blame whoever's in power, like any other country. And when the next leader comes along, people'll say how much they missed the last leader.

• The only problem with Obama is that he got handed a lot of negative shit that he has to remedy. He had George Bush before him along with a dumbass right wing government.

I don't know much about American politics, but I do see a trend where the party in power always has to deal with the negatives and vets blamed for things that they didn't start.

And there always seems to be more shit to clean up after a right wing government runs the country.

Even in Canada where I live, I think Stephen Harper and his government should be kicked out for ruining many things within my country.

• Because some legitimate problems were actually caused by Obama directly or indirectly that liberals want to downplay or outright ignore. Like how Obamacare coerces people to buy some form of healthcare or get charged for not having healthcare. Or how he passed the NDAA that allows for indefinite detention of American citizens without jury or trial. Extending the Patriot Act that was originally created during Bush's time. Or maybe the sudden killing off of the Seal Team that supposedly killed Osama Bin Laden? Extending the wars in the Middle East?

• Well I'm not an American but even I can see that when Obama was elected, American economy was going through a really tough time and he has revived the economy to a certain extent. I can't say much about his policies but as an outsider they've always seemed progressive. Even I was wondering why he gets so much hate. Probably people discriminate against him at a sub-conscious level.

• Obamis is the first ever President of the United States, in the social media era.

Social media has made everyone more critical and pessimistic , liked they got baptized in Haterade.

Literally NOBODY is universally adored anymore!

• That's what they do with every President. Remember the utter hatred that Bush and Clinton received in their respective times?

• he's an easy skapegoat, especially for republicans. He's far from perfect but it does seem like he gets blamed for pretty much everything

• Thanks obama!

• Its all part of politics. Good leaders will always have good amount of enemies too. Believe it or not, it happens in every country, not just USA.

• Because the average American is not a politician, but an uniformed idiot whose never worked in that field and reads a few blogs on the internet and suddenly that have a PhD in political science and economics.

• what? you mean the problems from Jesus's are all because of on man? damn... obama must've lived for a lng time!

• Scapegoating is easy and he is the current president

• Because politicians have a thing for making promises during a campaign that never go through.

• It's the nature of politics. Before him, President George W. Bush was blamed for everything. In a couple of years, someone else will be blamed for everything.

More accurately and truthfully, it's the other political party that blames the sitting president for everything. About 45% of Americans approve of Obama, so they don't blame him for everything.

• Because it's hard to blame Bush now.

• How is that different than the last guy that was in office? Or the one before that? Or the one before that?
    Or the next person that becomes president?

• You are looking at two phenomena which have the same root cause. The election of Barak Obama and the unjustified opprobrium attached to him have the same root cause.

Most people are stupid.

You are welcome.