Why does it seem like everyone is Gay/bi nowadays?

Seriously, is anyone straight anymore? People are constantly coming out gay/bi like it's all you here everyday. I'm not homophobic. I happen to love everyone regardless of sexual orientation. I just feel like people abuse the word 'gay' or 'bi'. I'm not either, but I have been with women before and I still consider myself straight. However, if I were to come out as a lesbian/bi I'd probably get more attention and people would be calling me a hero for 'coming out'. Why? Can sexual orientation be that important as where everyone has to come out even if they really aren't? Being bi-curious isn't the same as being actually bi-sexual.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes, people are confused about what being bi/gay actually is (my cousin thought she was bi because she thinks some girls are pretty, even though she has no actual romantic/sexual feelings toward them). Some of them think it's trendy, which is just... nope.
    Those people are just tossing a label on themselves inaccurately.

But another factor is that society is becoming a lot more accepting, so people don't have to hide it anymore. The "increase" of gay people is really just an increased awareness because many of them don't feel as threatened or hated as they used to be.

What Guys Said 25

• This is only because the people who are coming out as gay or bi are advertized everywhere and worshipped for it.

You never hear "breaking news! Johnny Garcia is heterosexual!" *audience gasps*

• It isn't like more people are gay/bi it's just that more people feel comfortable coming out with it in modern society. People are shamed a lot less and don't have to fear for their life or be criminalized for it. It's freedom baby yeah.

• i do agree, that it seems as though many people are coming out
    or becoming gay

but really its to be expected when homosexuality is celebrated and propagated in the United states
    And anyone who believes this propagation of homosexuality is sick or not good for society is called ignorant. when in reality the ignorance comes from of all the people who blindly support and celebrate homosexuality

i dont mind gay people, i really dont care what they do or what rights they have
    just stay out of my way and dont try to propagate your sexuality on to others

• There's a number of faux lesbians out of there who fake it for male attention, but for the most part the huge majority of people I know are straight.

• because its more socially acceptable these days.

You would be surprised by the amount of gay people, 50 or even 100 years ago. However they would never admit to being gay because there was a huge stigma attached to it, sometimes involving jail time. would you come out if literally everyone would hate you for it?

just watch this for gods sake.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqIIeGmhL2Q

• Its thrown in your face and forced to be accepted I rember a campaign for encouraging people to come out of the closet and telling if anyone knew of a gay person in hidding to support them.

If only global poverty was given this much attention

• I think it is because the world is over populated and this is natures way to help control population over growth.

• They're coming out because it's now much more socially acceptable to be gay. You only think that everyone is doing it because only now after gay marriage has been legalized in the U. S. people feel they can express their true feelings. Before now, many would live their whole lives suppressing their feelings and even marrying women to prove to people that they are not gay. To suggest that they are doing it for the attention is ridiculous.

• They're coming out because they don't need to live in fear of being rejected anymore.
    Gay rights are a step in the right way to equality for everyone. If you judge someone because they're different to you then you're the one with the problem, not them.

It's fucking awful what people did to each other in the past; (slavery, genocide etc..)
    Thankfully that's a thing of the past now. We have to work on other things now.. Like the gap between rich and poor.

• I know some people will turn anything into a trend but maybe some other people are feeling more comfortable about being open about their sexuality.

• It isn't, it's just that they're super duper vocal. It's the same with how all feminists are apparently fat Tumblrettes going on about muh privilege.

• I'm straighter than a ruler ain't nothing gonna make me bend.
    Maybe you hang out with lots of non-hetrosexuals or people that are easily influenced by the media.

If you're straight don't pretend to be gay/bi/whatever just for the attention or the affirmative action benefits. I'm really hoping this is a trend that will go away soon since I care as much about someone's sexuality as a random person cares about the fact that the Earth is rotating millions of kilometres per hour around the sun.

• I love this answer lmao

• Because people are stupid. Dont know simple biology

• Straight guy here <<<<<<... to answer your question it's socially acceptable now now that the Law has passed giving homosexual people rights as straight married couples.

• As acceptance grows, more and more people will be brave/indifferent enough to come out.

• I'm tsraight never been with a dude and dont find anything appealing in gay dudes, no homo though

• I'm straight, I love my girls :)

• I am straight, a virgin and a lesbian pon addict.

• "but I have been with women before" WHAT MAKES YOU SAY YOU ARE STRAIGHT? and yes being bicurious is the same as being bisexual, you have to have some degree of sexual attraction to girls if you are curious, thus you are by definition bisexual. Why don't you come out as bisexual? you obviously are to anyone who posses basic reasoning.

• You know, it's a difference. Being attracted and wanting to be in a romantic relationship are two different things.

• Yes, romantic attraction and who you want to date has nothing to do with sexual orientation, the definition of bisexual is "-sexually attracted to both men and women." word for word in every dictionary. You obviously have some degree of sexual attraction to girls since you have had sex with some, thus you are by very scrutiny of definition, bisexual, you aren't straight. It doesn't matter that you don't want to date them.

• Well, why not?

• " I have been with women before and I still consider myself straight."

LOL

• Sorry I didn't get the joke.

• You aren't straight

• But there's nothing wrong with not being straight unless you think Bible thumpers hold all the wisdom.
      Killing , wounding, stealing are endorsed by society (and by the Bible) and are WAY worse than loving or having sex with the same sex. in my opinion, loving or having sex with the same sex (once, several times or every time) is morally neutral. Not bad, not good.

• It's just a new trend or "phase" that's got a lot of people confused...

• Well i am still straight and a virqin it's more lily like this in the west u don't see those creeps here in the east

• You are going to a Liberal Arts college aren't you?

• What does that have to do with anything?

• This sounds extremely racist, and sounds like you are standing up for your right to fly the confederate flag. This outrages me!!!

• Oh shut up.

• 24 is the new thirty. Your turn troll

• My mistake. Forgot to include your name so that you can actually be foolish enough to play along @Avalon4

What Girls Said 14

• "Seriously, is anyone straight anymore?"
    Majority of the world population is.

• Oh gimme a break.

• Looool but seriously, the only reason you might think that is because some people have been coming out but most people still identify as straight. Then you have those people that want to identify as something else because they think it's "trendy"

• @asker why is that so hard to believe?

• They get more attention. If you look at the questions on this site - about 80% of these questions about sex and sexual relationships but around 55 - 60% of the people on this site claim to be virgins. Its just that the sexually active ones make more noise.

• well it's a fact that a lot of of women are a little bit gayer then guys just because of how were raised to be so close and together I guess and women are a lot more likely to have sexual exspiriences with guys and now that gay is okay everyone is at least a little bit curious to see what they like

• There are obviously people who say they are bisexual, just to get attention. But, there are others who are saying the truth.
    It's not like there are more gay or bisexual people nowadays. What happens is that people are becoming more open when it comes to sexual orientation, so they speak more about it.

• It's more acceptable now. The next step is allowing pedophiles to have the right to abuse children and people who are into bestiality can marry their goats. After all, they were just born that way too.

• LOL like 90% of the world's population is straight, what are you on about woman?

• Oh well. I can't even explain this to you.

• Many of them were that way since a long time. They were just afraid to admit it. Even in this day and age, it takes a lot of guts to come out.

• people crave attention.

• Maybe it's that before they were too scared to come out... maybe they've always been gay/bi.

• I think people are just more comfortable with coming out now than before

• Oh my gosh, yes. I have dated so many guys who tell me years down the line that they are actually gay or bi but afraid to 'come out'. I get that it's scary, but why date me and invest all the money, time and energy in a relationship if you aren't truly even attracted to a person? WTH? I'm more than just a cover for your gay life.

• If they got an erection from seeing you naked then they aren't gay. They probably aim more to the other side because it made them feel more comfortable. I was with a guy who was afraid to come out as bi, but he was the best in bed I've ever had in my life. I'm just saying, people are just confusing themselves. I had oral with 2 girls, I'm still straight. I don't wanna be with women in a romantic relationship, but the experience was fun. I'll admit that...

• because it's "cool" and supporting it is now "cool" too
    it's a fad lol

• Coming out isn't easy, I wouldn't bother to go through something like this if I wasn't actually bi