How does someone like Donald Trump get to run for office?

Americans, I need help because I don't understand how you allow such inexperienced people in politics go ahead and run for the lead in their party?

I wondered this back when Ronald Reagan ran for president, and again when Arnold Schwarzenegger ran for state governor. If someone is famous, are they just automatically given the "O. K." to run for office? There are so many intelligent people out there that could give them a run for their money, but because of fame, are Americans just allowing this more simply for celebrities? I could go on.. Jesse Ventura, Sonny Bono.. people who just had a following, but not for political reasons!

Now we have Donald Trump who is just so obviously running for nothing less than a marketing scheme, because I have to give him credit - as someone in marketing, to put one's self out there the way he does and as often as he does can sell a product, which is his brand Trump. But I don't think he really wants to be president. I think he wants to go down in Wikipedia as the guy who said he'd do it, and did it. He's been insulting, uncouth, unfair, and uneducated - and this is just *after* he's been a declared candidate!

How do Americans allow this? What sort of criteria do people need to have? Do you just fill out a form to say you want to run and then go with it? Is there a fee? Do you need a certain amount of signatures? I mean it sounds about as easy as Pedro Sanchez from Napoleon Dynamite running for president. As long as you have a cool moustache and some keychains, you're in.

Most Helpful Guy

• They are pre-selected by the real power brokers long in advance in a calculated way to either split the vote, or to possibly win. In either case they are only selected if they can be controlled. Nothing more, nothing less. It is all a master level con for public consumption, and as a distraction from what they are doing behind the scenes, beyond the scripting of the puppets. Politics is simply a big scam for the dumbed down masses, and is organized crime at a massive/worldwide scale. The White House is largely ceremonial. What it all comes down to is 13 families running the show, for the most part, internationally, in support of themselves, their interests (banking and central banks), and here in the US that means the Bush/Prescotts, Clintons, and Rockefellers. They own and control everything required to pull it all off. Including the CIA, NSA, FBI, Federal Reserve, Wall Street, and more. No one, and I mean NO ONE gets into power here without their pre-approval and control being in place from the get-go.

• So let's just say you and I are talking about how to solve the world's problems, and you really are innovative and smart and have a way with people. You might only be an employee at Initech, but you have a lot of knowledge because you took political science studies in university. You have a lot figured out, and I say, "Hey GT-Bro, you should run for office!" (I even offer to make you campaign buttons because I have a keen eye for marketing.) You say, "That's a great idea, GT-Sis." You fill out all the proper forms, pay the required fees, and fit all the required criteria. (This is assuming it's pre-presidential entry, like what Trump is doing.)

But.. things start to fail because?

No funds to keep up with travel and whatever the minimum is for campaigning? Aren't friends with enough Kennedys? Don't have any investments in oil? Haven't had your name in the news yet? You cashed in your stocks from Facebook? Don't own a gun?

• So what I'm saying is that these guys are deadly serious psychopaths who will stop at nothing. They seldom have to resort to murder though, as with the NSA in their pocket they have the ultimate source for dirt on anyone and everyone who has ever had any illicit habits or criminal history, so they can threaten virtually anyone. This works well in congress, and gets their desired legislation through most times. It also works on foreign dignitaries, politicians, and business interests.

• Thank you Anne for the MHO :)

What Guys Said 19

• Reagan did very well actually so he is a bad example. However, in Trumps case I honestly don't see the objection. He built a global financial empire which took a massive amount of skill, attention to detail and absolutely a bunch of politics. On top of that, he isn't afraid to attack issues in the stead of playing politics and won't mince words to get things done.

There is nothing wrong with him running and it will be interesting to see how things turn out as the Republican candidates are quite weak along with the Democrats and Trump will garner a massive amount of support. Hell, look how much support he received this past week alone for saying he wanted to remove every illegal. There is one thing for sure, he won't let the loud minority views get in his way as he will roll right over them. I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of dirt on other candidates soon as billions of dollars equates to a LOT of information to be gathered on them all.

• This is informative and I thank you for that, but what I'm wondering is what qualifications can one regular guy out there who wants to run have to do to get past someone like Trump? I'm not going to knock Trump further because now I just want to use him as an example. Same with anyone I was shaking my head at including Sarah Palin, only with her I figured her established political connection earned her a position in the running of the Republican party.

• @asker Oh you were being literal, got it. You have to fill out a form with the government that you can print out and then you mail it in. It's a statement of candidacy form. From there it's all about attending debates, planning how you want to run/move forward, and so on. However, it all starts with the statement filing for candidacy.

• Making sense now. Attending debates and following guidelines can be expensive, hence why those famous can have an easier time of it.

• I don't know why people need to be allowed to run for president. I would be bothered if other countries had ridiculous hoops a person had to jump through in order to make a bid for presidency. Why does it matter that people vote for somebody they like? Should the state arbitrate who is and isn't worthy of running?

To be fair, Sonny Bono wasn't ideal, but he was a hell of a lot better than Barbara Boxer. And I didn't care for all of Reagan's belief system, but his economic system was way more in the direction that California needed to go, especially after being beleaguered with short-term, foolish policies. Even today Cali sees people leaving in droves because of its stupid policies.

• Because he has money behind him. Realistically, you need a lot of money to become a serious contender, especially in modern times. The last president that wasn't wealthy or connected to the wealthy was Jimmy Carter. That's partly why they ran him out of town.

Technically, anyone that meets the other requirements can run, but they might as well be a bum yelling on a street corner, because nobody will know about their candidacy nor care, and the media will not allow them into the debates if they aren't known.

• The solution is money out of politics. Campaign finance reform. Publicly funded national elections.

• Because money.

Seriously, think about it for a minute:

Billions are spent on campaigns, do you think candidates pull out that money out of their asses? No, someone funds them. Who? That is not revealed, but someone does.
    Obviously that/those "someone" aren't doing it for no reason: they have their own interests that this person will represent should he become a president. No, those interests have nothing to do with the actual well-being of a country. It's just business.

He has his own money, so he MIGHT be slightly more independent (but not free completely), therefore he can spend as much money as he wants out of his own personal pocket as long as he has it. That may give an advantage.

• Officially, as long as you are at least 35 years of age and a US resident for at least 7 or 8 years, you can run for president. There's no other requirement. However, people who typically run have a lot of money - mostly from lobbyists who they support as well as their own money to put towards ads and campaigns. Quite frankly, it's people that are in high places (I say low just because of who they are) that are nominated. That doesn't mean you can't run, though. I've considered running myself. However, I'm not old enough yet, and I haven't actually been elected into any office yet.

• Correction: you need to be a natural born citizen of the US, and at least 35 years of age. That's why all the questions about Obama birth qualifications is still going on. His mother was not of legal age (17) and his father was NOT a US citizen. There are serious questionable points about the Hawaii birth certificate he provided. On top of that it's a certificate of live birth - not a certificate stating he was born in Hawaii. There is a major difference.

• Thanks for correcting me. Not only does a person need to be naturally born in the US and be 35 years of age, but they also need to be a resident for 14 years.

• well i really think anyone who is a citizen should have the freedom to run for office. It's really just up to people to make an educated choice. But when i see guys like Donald trump leading amongst republicans in some states... i'm reminded of why it feels good to be Canadian

• Age and money. You have to be at least 35, preferably married (believe it or not, a married man is more likely to win than a bachelor).

Money buys influence. And influence is power. The more influential you are, the more powerful you are. And only the strongest candidates win.

• As for actually getting on the ballot, I think you have to win local elections (town/city, then state) first before making it to the national level.

But if you're already famous, like the examples you had given in your post, that's not really necessary because everyone will already know who you are and would have already decided whether or not you'd be worth voting for.

• That's actually one of the vulnerable weak spot of democracy.. Rich and famous can easily run for a high position. It happens in a lot of democratic country where popular actors etc have become president and most of them turned out to be incompetent but I doubt the American public would allow that. They're sensible voters..

• It's actually really easy to run for President...

• So why aren't more people making it known and doing it? There are a tons of egos out there that probably want to and maybe even talk about it, so what would hold them back and allow people like Trump to get ahead of them?

• Because most people's names would never even be heard by the general public. Running isn't the same thing as getting yourself on the ballot.

Trump's name gets more recognition because his name is already a household name. And of course he an obscene amount of money.

But let's be honest... It's not like he's going to win.

• I don't know who's bright idea it was to let Donald Trup, Jeb Bush, and Hillary Clinton run but somehow it worked.

• Any citizen over thirty five can run.

• But how? If this were the case, hundreds of thousands of people would throw their hat in.

• Well you have to have a party nomination and to make a party its something like three hundred or three thousand signatures

• The reason hundreds of thousands don't run is not only the money, but getting ballot access in all 50 states can be challenging specially for independent candidates. Every state has its own rules and procedures for candidates to get their name on a ballot. Most require candidates to gather petition signatures numbering in the thousands, and many states also require fees to be paid that could be expensive to many. The major party candidates have a network of offices, staff, lawyers and volunteers in every state to take care of this stuff. The average Joe wanting to run? Good luck with that.

• There is only 1 criterion:
    Do you have enough money to go around the country on a campaign?
    I the answer is yes than any nonsense you want to spew at people you can, if not than tough luck buddy.

• Money and social influence (or a following, a platform, whatever you wanna call it). It won't happen unless you have the social power too, even though you may have a lot of money.

• Money equals power

• $$$$$$

^ that is why

• Money is behind everything, and what is surprise to me if you follow politics is how corrupt has become in the last 6 1/2 years and everything that the government holds is politically incline to the one party in power and is okay as long what the people want, you might be surprised but I am a Hispanic coming from a very corrupt country ( don't worry I am legal citizen now and I can vote).

I love the United States of America, I love this country and the reason is because of freedom of religion, and equal opportunity for ALL,
    In this current set of administration I am paying what Mr. Obama say is my fare share and even more 'fare share' I have to pay as soon as the federal government controls Heath care, it has become increasingly expensive to live as a middle income family barely making ends met, This is the 'new economy' that Mr. Obama was talking about, the problem is that we spend more money in burocratic bulk of people and less goes to whine we pay taxes, Miss Hilary will do the same as Mr. Obama,
    In my humble opinion, the secret is this, who more or less really care about the 93,000 000 million people living in the USA with no jobs?, Mr. Trump is probably the most arrogant of all politicians ( everyone is as bad as him, let's allow ourselves not to be naive) but he displayed the way an opposition party should; I believe that he cares for America big deal,

The political left in my opinion is just as bad as any, but in my opinion does not care about this country at all, only power, and the people in power that has used the pain and suffering of the minorities to climb for power, control the money, create divisions, create chaos, take advantage of any crisis created to advance their own agendas ( like the right) but it doesn't create liberties,

This is my humble take and I hate political correctness😡

• Money is freedom; you got enough of it you can do whatever you want.

• To get on the ballot you must have an organization in every state, the qualification vary. So you either need money or a lot of volunteers or you need to get a party (which has these things) nomination. That's what all the people you mention did.

• This is turning in to more of the answer I was looking for. I get that money helps. But if someone is brilliant and has the know-how in politics, even be smarter and more professional than the famous candidate (whoever he or she is), then why aren't we seeing that? How would a regular schmuck who might be able to give Trump a good competition not even heard about? You said it best so far.. with organizations in each state. Does this mean business-wise, or does there have to be some political support that only acknowledges they are on the ballot somehow?

• Each state is different, some have a fee, some a petition or other qualification. If you don't run by trying to get a party nomination you'd better have a lot of money, Ross Perot did that but bowed out at the last minute. All you need to do to get a party nomination is follow the rules for that party and try and get the votes of party delegates at the party convention. There isn't enough room here to explain.

• by the way Donald Trump is trying to get the Republican party nomination, he's not running for president... yet.

• I'm sorry to say but its all about money. Thats the cold reality. Even if a normal citizen was to succeed he would some how mysteriously dissapear or die of unknown causes. This country is becoming more of a communist country. Little by little are rights are being taken away from under are noses.

What Girls Said 3

• Money + a lot of ignorant americans + a lot of racists = Donal Trump Posse!
    All in all the majority of Americans like to be ruled by idiots and they like to follow...

Monkey see, monkey do... = When a person does something, everyone follows and does the same thing... but people are not monkeys, so what's their excuse? Ignorance! ;]!

• He's worth3 billion dollars. He can run and afford it. I don't think he will be president, he is too emotional for me personally- emotional I mean by being so angry and abrupt always. I think he is forcing both parties to talk about uncomfortable topics that need to be discussed

• He has money. Lots of it.