Do you think it's true that intelligent people are more prone to loneliness, depression, being misunderstood etc?

I've seen these ''facts'' a lot on the internet. That intelligent people are more likely to be unhappy, depressed, misunderstood, lonely, sad, and all that. Do you think it's true or complete bullshit?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would tend to disagree, as a more intelligent soul is going to look at the big picture, or realize sometimes you just have to persevere to find a like-minded partner. That may come with a temporary price tag of being lonely for a time, but they know all good things come in their own good time, or when we have grown and matured enough to know what we need, want, and value. Is it more likely for them to be misunderstood? Yes, as the majority of humanity is generally dumb, if not down right stupid, so they cannot relate or appreciate them, or are even threatened by them. But here again, you have to frankly expect this, and take the broader perspective of why it is.

Most Helpful Girl

• Bullshit at its finest. If it were true, I'd be the most intelligent person on earth.

What Guys Said 16

• I don't think I'm really intelligent, but I have had / still kinda-ish have my fair share of unhappiness. It's not fun when you constantly want to be in a dark room to just sit there and be alone and hate the world while being apathetic. It could just more of my anti-social behavior, who knows?

Thinking of my friends who are legit geniuses though, I can imagine they are quite bored with the world (so misunderstood). They constantly have to explain things to people and people push their success as part of their natural ability, inadvertently looking down on the geniuses for lack of hard work. Often times, intelligence translates into social awkwardness too.

Tl;Dr; I think your internet "facts" do have some merit.

• Yes. Ignorance IS bliss!

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ5k8JZiWnY

I must be very intelligent then xD I don't know how much truth is behind that, but it doesn't sound stupid, it actually makes sense.

• I can only go by a Mensa group that I know of. I notice that although they get on as a group, they are, with one exception, all single people. I'm sure that some of them lead lonely lives, just as those with more limited intelligence can do. I think it's more down to the personality rather than the intelligence level. It may be that the personality of intelligent people is what causes problems.

• People can become really intimidated by very intelligent individuals and that can break friendships because of jealously. So it can be a little taxing on you when people feel intimidated when you are being yourself. Being misunderstood I think can happen regardless of intelligence.

• Yes.

So here is a part of the 'problem' with having a high IQ. You alienate people. All the time. You come off as arrogant. People "feel stupid" around you. High IQ people also tend to have low EQ and poor social skills. Frequently without understanding that they have poor social skills. There are a bunch of reasons for this, you can message me if you would like me to expound on that point.

• Well the quote "Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know" is a popular one, I think there is some truth to it.

• Haha no. True intelligence includes being able to socialize.

• I don't know but among the greatest minds like Newton. He died a virgin and Tesla had a ''nervous breakdown'' (Depression)..

• I strongly disagree with that.

• people with less emotional intelligence are lonely

• It's true. i'm living proof.

• It's complete true unfortunate

• no, it's rubbish.

• Yes. It's not like intelligent people have a monopoly on loneliness, depression and alienation, but yes.

I've seen the statistics too and I at least fit the bill, so it makes sense to me why this would be the case. But I assume you've got your own ideas about why this wouldn't be true?

• I think so. I guess I'm considered intelligent. I really hate saying it though. I've had insomnia for a really long time. I went to find out why and the reason was loneliness.

What Girls Said 3

• Just based on their I. q. Alone? No its not entirely true. Intelligence is a work of progress. Have you read some of the great ceos' bio? They started out awkward and got average grades at college. Getting dumbed by so called teachers telling them to be "realistic" and accept they can't improve. They increased their knowledge as they built up a reservoir of confidence and faith.

• I believe it's true.

• I believe there is some truth in that.