Why is country music associated so much with the military?

So I just saw one of those wounded warrior project commercials and they played country music. And I realized a lot of country talks about soldiers and it's associated a lot with the military. However, every guy I have ever known that has been in the military have all been rockers. I've been told that overseas almost everyone blasts rock and sometimes metal in the barracks. Like no one that is actually in the military listens to country but country is so associated with them.

Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• The answer comes from history. Country music comes from "the country" - the rural parts of America. Rural America is economically worse off than urban and suburban America and has been for generations and will continue to be so. For people who live in these areas, job opportunities can be hard to find and any jobs usually do not pay well. In adverse economic times like The Dust Bowl or a recession or depression, making a living is even more difficult. So, when the alternative is 1) be poor and hungry and sick with no job or 2) be OK, fed, and healthy by joining the military, you're going to join the military - especially since it is honorable to do so and in rural America, even more so. So, the military has traditionally had a very large number of people from rural America and those folks grew up on country music.

What Girls Said 2

• Country music tends to have more patriotic overtones than any other genre.

• Country music isn't associated with the military... Rock/metal is...

What Guys Said 1