How can I learn french, Spanish german, and other european languages? (I speak english) I heard it can be easy if you learn latin first. Is that true?

Most Helpful Girl

• Latin? Well there are obvious root words and meanings that many European languages use but I wouldn't go to the extent of learning Latin.

For vocab I use Memrise, but for proper learning nothing beats going to a class. You get to speak and learn with other people and nothing can replace that. Plus you learn much more because you have a tutor to question and explain.

What Girls Said 6

• Start by learning Spanish first. Don't waste your time on Latin, especially if you're learning it just for the sake to learn other languages. I'm currently learning Spanish on my own and it's really easy. I speak French and a little Italian. It's kinda easy to learn.

• latin only helps with latin based languages such as Spanish, french, italian, romanian etc
    for german English is probably your best base since german, like English, is based on germanic

• Start with Spanish. It will help to learn the rest.
    Latin is not used any more. It would be waste of time.

• Well, I'd suggest you don't waste your time with Latin

• Don't waste your time with latin. I think you should learn the romance languages one after another to not confuse them.

• Well.. I can curse in Latin but my french is very poor..

What Guys Said 6

• NOOO ! By no means, don't waste your time with Latin ! It's complete bullshit ! I know English at native level and can understand about 90% of French because it has lots of words similar to English which again has about 60% of words derived from Latin !
    Once you know English, you need no Latin ! And Latin won't get you anywhere in German !!!

• @RyanEC you can hook up with alliance français, if you have one... its à large french teaching network... and you can use the app "Duolingo" to practice them.
    Best way is to buy some grammar books first and study them... and listen to french movies with subtitles...
    All the European languages are easy, like 60% because its just like English but with complicated grammar 😕
    Good luck 👌

• dont learn latin first
    learn one of the romance languages, they are more useful i suggest Spanish
    after learning Spanish, verb tenses and what not, it will be easier to learn italian, portugese, or french

I speak English, Spanish and italian

• If you know some latin it can help maybe but it seems useless to learn latin just to learn other languages

• Va te faire foutre

• your local college. And latin, no, i've never learnt Latin but my Spanish is OK>